PDA

View Full Version : Skid plates

TSimpler
09-04-2004, 16:26
This last weekend I went hunting and put a heavy beating on the skid plates and cross member of my Dmax. I put big and deep gouges in the skip plates and a nice dent in the crossmember.

Does anyone have extra skidplates on there truck or a slider for the crossmemeber.

Or any ideas for extra protection.

Thanks
Trent

Mike330R
09-07-2004, 21:05
I made my own on my old 150 Z71. You can see some pic's here:
http://www.sandbros.com/mikesride/chevy/skids/

it's 1/4" thick aluminum. Very strudy. So sturdy that I never did get the holes right to use bolts on the back side of it. Only bolted it to where the tow hooks bolt into. I can hang my body weight on the up-bolted end and it doesn't budge smile.gif

I'd sell it cheap if I didn't have to ship it.

TSimpler
09-08-2004, 05:30
I will copy your plate. I would buy it cheap if I didn't have to pay much shipping.

Thanks
Trent

Ranger354
09-08-2004, 18:05
I bottomed my truck out about 20 times at the lease. Bigger tires and a few cranks on the Torshion bars will get it up off the ground. I have a full replacement front bumper that has a big gap between it and the plastic skid plate. I plan to fill that in with 1/4" plate and mount daylighter lights up under there also. Since the factory tow hooks were worthless once I installed the bumper I had made new tow hooks and the plate will bolt to them and the frame. Should be hell for stout when I am done.

TSimpler
09-09-2004, 06:13
I have bigger tires and have cranked the bars.

I will soon be installing front and rear winch bumpers. Yes I said front AND rear. I just have to quit being so lazy and build them.

I wish I had a lease, can I come play on yours??? Please??? :rolleyes: I miss the white tails. They taste better than a muley.

When I was a kid we used to hunt on a ranch near Smiley Tx, 60 miles south of Gonzales.

Thanks for your imput
Trent

Ranger354
09-13-2004, 11:02
I have a jeep that does most of the work, and I put the bumper on the front to hold a feeder and look good. I didn't like the looks of the new frontends so I put a fullreplacement up there. Now if I can get over this back surgery and get some things done around here maybe I can hunt.

I know where Smiley is. I hunt near Beeville and near Threerivers. 2 places this year. Well maybe!

TSimpler
09-13-2004, 17:47
Hehehe... your seem to be the one to talk to...

What kind of front end do you have.

I must have killed 50 white tails then I was 11 and 12 years old out in smiley. What a great place to hunt.

If ya ever what to hunt something bigger just let me know and I will send you the forms.

Trent

Ranger354
09-14-2004, 10:57
My brother and I always wanted to hunt out there, but when our father died in 94 we got on a lease and have just stayed close to home. Too easy to hunt 45 min from the house. NOthing big but fun for the kids.

I plan to buy a 2000lb ATV winch and mount it on a hitch so I can move it from front to rear on my p/u if I need to hang or tug on something small.