PDA

View Full Version : A-Pillar question

Silver Bullet
01-27-2003, 11:46
Who makes a complete a-pillar replacement? I am interested in finding a complete a-pillar and not one of the partial covers to hold 2 guages. Thanks.

TSimpler
01-27-2003, 12:16
got mine from Speedlab in Albuquerque

It is a full "A" piller

there number is 505-830-0944

Trent

GMC D-Max
01-27-2003, 16:44
Gaugeworks by Autometer also has a full pillar cover. I'd prefer to have an actual replacement pillar with gauge pods rather than a "cover" to go over the existing plastic. I've heard the quality of the Gaugeworks piece leaves much to be desired, too.

Silver Bullet
01-27-2003, 20:07
Trent,
Do you have any pics? Just to confirm...is it is a full replacement or a full cover? Do you have a part number? I called today and one of the guys was looking into it and said he would call back, but I have not heard anything yet.

Thanks,
Steve

TSimpler
01-27-2003, 21:46
mine is attached to the old cover

but you cannot see the old cover at all. It is just used to attach to the truck, works like a charm

If you dont here back from them on tues call back and ask for Brody and tell'em I told ya to call

Trent

Kennedy
01-27-2003, 23:09
There is no such thing that I am aware of. The idea of a total replacement is a concept that drives me up a wall having to explain this. They are merely coverlays.

The notion (incorrect) people get is why use a short pod when the whole thing can be replaced for a few more $$$ :rolleyes:

Silver Bullet
01-28-2003, 11:32
Thanks JK and TS.

It looks like the closest thing to what I want is going to be a full cover.

MaxRock
01-28-2003, 17:21
Yo' SB,

Look at DIS. They have the full pillar overlay and they are in Dallas. You could go there and see one in person!

MaxRock

drgracr
01-28-2003, 18:23
Silver Bullet

I used the full dual pillar from Autometer , this is a full cover, not a complete replacement
part# 17104 2 1/16 dual pillar
part# 17105 2 1/16 triple pillar
They say theses parts are for 00-01
but there is no difference in 02

They come in black, the bodyshop where I work says it can't be painted because its textured :mad: but it doesn't look bad with the dark graphite
hope this helps

[ 01-28-2003: Message edited by: drgracr ]</p>

GMC-2002-Dmax
01-28-2003, 18:27
drgracr,

The pillar can be painted. I painted mine and chevyhdman's as well.

Mackin's is painted and many others. It can and has been done.
;)

GMC :D

drgracr
01-28-2003, 20:17
What is the name of the paint used?
Wonder why they told me it couldn't be painted :confused:
guess they didn't want to paint the small stuff.

Silver Bullet
01-28-2003, 22:20
Thanks drgracr. Check with your local dealer...you should be able to get interior paint, but I am not sure if it would be in a spray can or in a pint or quart can. I'm sure your local dealer will paint it for a small fee!

I also found...www.propods.com

drgracr
01-29-2003, 19:11
funny part is I work in a big dealership with a big body shop.

must be the chevy truck--Ford dealer thing redface.gif redface.gif

Bass_on_tap
01-30-2003, 19:04
I took my fuse cover panel to a local automotive paint store that sells PPG products and body work kind of stuff. They let me look through some paint books for interior paint and also took several pictures of the fuse panel cover with a special camera. He the let a computer pick the color that most matched the pictures and it was very , very close to the color I picked by eye. Well I went with the computer's choice and they made me a spray can of the stuff for about $18.00. I sprayed my Autometer pillar cover myself. It came out great! I did some prep work first. I scuffed it down good with the red scotch brite pad I bought there and then cleaned it good twice with an automotive prep cleaner from 3M. Three coats in about 30 mins and 24 hrs to dry. Looks great! I know others have gone this route because that's where I got the idea. dave

GMC-2002-Dmax
01-30-2003, 19:28
drgracr,

I will post a picture.

I have a place to get the paint. I am willing to purchase and ship to you for actual costs.

I'll try to get the PIC posted tonight.

wild bore
02-02-2003, 16:08
I have a tan interior. Is that offer for everyone? Or I could buy your left over can.

drgracr
02-02-2003, 18:29
GMC-2002-Dmax
thanks for the offer, but I will have to decline on the shipment part. Courrier companies will most not likely ship it across the border-have had problems with this before. but if you have the name of the product, I might be able to find it here in Canada.

thanks

GMC D-Max
02-02-2003, 20:48
Go to your local auto paint jobber and ask for either Dupont Lucite interior coatings, or PPG UCV vinyl and plastic paint. (I thing it's still UCV. It's been a while since I worked at the paint store!)

Any auto paint supply store should be able to fix you right up. Possibly even put it in a spray can for you, or you can buy a Preval refillable sprayer.

drgracr
02-03-2003, 19:14
GMC D-Max
thanks, I'll see what I can find.

GMC-2002-Dmax
02-08-2003, 14:33
Pics are posted,

Click on Duramax Pics Link - Look in Accessories