PDA

View Full Version : engine losses thick oil

redbird2
11-21-2005, 18:50
I work for a large fleet we have several thousand 6.5 NA equiped units in our US fleet. Since late Sept one area has had 9 engine failures, the vendors working on this units report that the oil looks like Fudge when you take out drain plug nothing comes out.They must remove teh pan and scrap the crap out of the opil pan. They are blaming this on this on thick oil, have any of you heard of any reports of thick oil.
A little back ground on the trucks involved range from 1996 GM to 2000 GEP engines, miles range from 85,000 to 160,000. oil was to be changed every 4000 miles or 4 months, I did some research I did find out that the oil coolers have been removed and lines by-passed at the side of the block ( not pluged off) 2 years ago are company installed SST lines on all trucks this area Minnesota decieded that it didn't get hot enough there to warrant the use of the oil coolers, (they didn't want to change the lines out?) I personal changed out over 180 set of lines here in Illinois.

It is my opion that the oil have cooked the engine from the inside out i would like to hear from some of you your taughts on this problem.

Dvldog 8793
11-22-2005, 05:21
Howdy
I live in northern MN and have an oil temp gauge. I run about 9qrts of oil with the factory oil cooler and dual filters. When pulling a load I have seen oil temps in the 230-240degF range on warm summer days. I would say that without a cooler temps would get HOT, I don't know if they would be hot enough to sludge theo il like you describe. that being said I have seen oil EXACTLY how you described it from contamination with the new extended run antifreeze. It mixes rather nicely with oil and turns into a oil pudding and sticks to everything. I would bet that if you did some research it would turn up that removal of the coolers caused then engines to run hot enough to cause craked blocks and then coolant/oil mix is what the sludge came from.
Hope this helps....
L8r
Conley

rjschoolcraft
11-22-2005, 06:05
I've been running a late model oil spray block with a standard 95 oil cooler. When I disassembled my engine after failure earlier this year, there was a lot of sludge in the engine...everywhere. At first, I was concerned about the type of oil I had been using. Once I put the new engine in, I also hooked up an engine oil temperature gage. Running solo in August at about 75 mph, my oil temperature ran around 240F! :eek:

Bigger oil cooler...

I believe that explained the sludge that I saw during disassembly. I also believe that the situation you describe is directly related to running with no oil cooler.

JohnC
11-22-2005, 08:44
I've never seen it, but isn't that a lot like what happens when oil and Dexcool mix?

More Power
11-22-2005, 08:47
I'd recommend an oil analysis - looking for glycol...

A few years ago I heard from two 6.5 owners who's engine had failed, and their warranty had been denied by GM because the owners had been using a non-certified oil, which GM claimed had resulted in a thickening of the oil to a point that it would not drain. In fact, it had to be scraped out of the pan like Jello...

They were both using Amsoil Series 3000 5W-30 synthetic, and both had an engine problem that resulted in some amount of Dex-Cool mixing with the oil - resulting in the gelling.

Our assumption was that the Series 3000 reacts in combination with Dex, resulting in solidification.

This not been a problem when using Amsoil Marine 15W-40 synthetic, even when a Dex contamination problem exists. I'm guessing the chemical composition is different for the two oils.

One of our members was still in litigation as recently as about six months ago with GM & Amsoil over the cost of an engine replacement that occurred some years ago.

Jim

[ 11-23-2005, 08:15 AM: Message edited by: More Power ]

moondoggie
11-22-2005, 13:21
Good Day!

Makes a guy wonder if a flea market sauce pan, a quart of this oil, get 'er up to about 200F, then start adding small quantities of 50/50 Dexcool? Hmmm.....

I'd still get those oil coolers hooked back up RIGHT NOW.

Blessings!