PDA

View Full Version : Can OnStar phone be used with cell provider?

nopower65
11-16-2004, 05:42
IS it possible to "switch providers" and use your onstar phone with a conventional cellular service provider? I really didn't want Onstar, but had no choise (angry about the expense and no value). Onstar phone rates are ridiculously expensive. If they were even close to being competitive in rates, I would likely use the phone a lot.

Jake99Z71
11-16-2004, 13:18
It can be used with Verizon Wireless America's Choice plan. If you have a 2004.5 or 2005.

Phase 3
11-17-2004, 14:29
I was in the Verizon Sales Office a few days ago and I asked the rep if I could combine my cellular plan with On-Star. He told me it was not possible. Verizon supplies service to GM and the only way to add minutes was to add them to your On-Star account. I'm getting the run-around I guess...

Jake99Z71
11-17-2004, 17:13
I just got a letter in the mail from Onstar telling me about this service. You can also go to Onstar's website.

Heartbeat Hauler
11-18-2004, 06:53
I thought that currently installed OnStar options were going to be useless in a year or two because it is an analog system as opposed to digital. That's what they told us when we bought our 04 Sub. What gives?
JP

cowboywildbill
11-18-2004, 12:33
I just bought a 2005 Impalla with OnStar, I have it as my 3rd phone in my Verizion family plan, cost $10 per month to add It shares the minutes from my Verizion plan's other two phones.I can call forward my handheld cell to my car's phone when I'm in the car and when someone calls my handheld # it just rings on the Onstar phone in the car. I don't purchase any minutes from ON Star,& all the new vehicles are digital now. My truck is the old analog ONstar system and I have to buy minutes from OnStar not cheap, and who knows how long that system will be up and running. Hope that helps. It would be nice if they had a keypad for the Onstar phone. But it is a great handsfree phone as far as call quality "voice sound" for the caller and me.

Phase 3
11-18-2004, 21:45
Apparently, my '04 is analog. Unless you have digital On-Star, you can't combine with your Verizon cell plan.

Does anyone know if you can upgrade the vehicle's cellular from analog to digital?

saywhat
12-10-2004, 19:28
My 2004 Olds has Onstar,when I call that number from my cell phone(Alltel)the minutes are charged as mobile to mobile which is free on my cell plan.