PDA

View Full Version : Should I prime the engine before start up?

HANK1948
11-23-2005, 00:56
I just rebuilt my brothers 95 6.5 and before getting this thing started should I prime it, it looks like I can take the rear oil pump cam driver out and spin it with a 5/16 socket on a drill, is this nessary?

Hubert
11-23-2005, 04:47
I would. Its good practice. Kind of depends on how heavily you lubed things on assembly and how long its had to "drain" down. Are cooler, oil lines, and filter empty? If so then its more important to prime. If you can't prime I would at bare minimum let the starter turn over engine without starting for several seconds rest and repeat until there is oil pumping to main bearings. Thats if everything is really lubed up really good.

HANK1948
11-23-2005, 10:49
I have primed the motor using a 1000 rpm drill and for some reason I cannot get any oil to come out of the oil feed line to the turbo. I have disconnected the line and fittings from the block and still no sign of oil at the block. I have verified oil is moving through the cooler lines and the filter. What other checks or process can I do to help figure this out?

john8662
11-23-2005, 11:29
You won't get any oil pressure driving the rod on the oil pump with the cam driven drive out of the hole. The drive has to be present in order to build pressure, as there is an oil gallery there.

Just button everything up. Then remove the Fuel Shutoff fuse, or unplug the shutoff solenoid wire from the the injection pump. Then crank the engine over with until you see oil pressure on the gauge inside.

You might also consider remoing ALL the glow plugs to aide the starter in cranking the engine (will turn over faster) and there will be no compression, meaning not much load on the dry bearings below.

Note: the guage will show oil pressure and be "hot" while the ignition switch is in the "Start" position, I think for this very purpose.

LanduytG
11-23-2005, 12:05
Prime it first, that will fill the oil filter and all the galleys. You can then crank it. IMHO cranking it with the starter and waiting for everything to fill takes to long and things are dry for many revolutions. At least by priming everything is full first and you won't crank but a little bit before seeing pressure.

Greg

tom.mcinerney
11-25-2005, 13:55
As John said, you have filled the filter and fed lube to crank and drvrs side cam followers all ready. To get oil further need do more. If the cam followers are dry, suggest crank without glo plugs. Otherwise probably ok to crank once (10secs?) without fuel for psgr followers and turbo.