PDA

View Full Version : Man died when tailgate cables broke

KenZ
12-05-2004, 14:05
I just read in our paper about recalls, and the main topic was that a 19 year old man in Maine died when he fell and hit his head when the tailgate cables broke on his 2000 chevy. This was 2 months after the recall, but they bought the truck used and didn't know about it.

This really irritates me to no end because I too fell off my tailgate when the cables broke and I contacted both the dealer and GM and each had little concern--and wouldn't even provide new cables. This was before the recall. I hope all those at GM that showed so little concern for me and others that must have called, have some sort of concience and now realize what could have happened and possibly what they could have prevented.

They just sent my check for $14.97 to pay for the cables I had purchased before the recall.

rjschoolcraft
12-06-2004, 03:57
How far back does the recall go?

KenZ
12-06-2004, 07:26
I can't answer your question on that one. I would think that there would be a web site with recalls listed.

Ken

Roofer
12-06-2004, 09:28
The recall goes back to 2000 model trucks. It should go back even further. I had them break on my '98 Z71. Here is a link to recalls and TSB's. Recalls and tsb's (http://www.nhtsa.gov/)

madmatt
01-04-2005, 18:54
some 99's are involved, not sure about 98. honestly your local dealer should have and probably did know about the recall months before it was issued. we did and took care of a ton of dangerously worn or broke cables just because it could have caused damage to man and machine before the recall was issued.

MICKD
01-13-2005, 14:55
I don't trust the cables. I purchased VRstraps from VRStraps.com... Stainless Steel smile.gif

madmatt
01-13-2005, 16:19
so are the updated GM cables. and if(which I'm sure it does) your truck falls into the recall there free. no need to buy aftermarket.

Buck
01-19-2005, 09:57
The "good" cables are no better IMHO.

VR straps. 'nuff said ;) :D

YZF1R
01-20-2005, 06:31
Yep, I'll take my VR Straps anytime. ;)

Steve

madmatt
01-22-2005, 19:01
have you broke the new ones already?

Idle_Chatter
01-22-2005, 19:20
Well, madmatt, since they break without warning - and when one goes the other goes too - maybe you're willing to play "tailgate russian roulette" but I've put on VR Straps and don't have to worry about it every time my tailgate is down.

madmatt
01-23-2005, 19:30
hold on, now i ain't saying anyones wrong, just that the recall was issued before all dealers had the updated cables so some people thought they had the new style installed when in fact they didn't. there was a lot of confusion as to which were which and the new style can be identified by the lack of sealer in the lower eyelet @ the end of the cable. also I've never seen both cables snap @ the same time unless one was already damaged/ broke inside of the plastic casing and i'm positive I've replaced over a thousand. The only cases I've seen where both were broke was due to the owner negleting to replace the cables when one broke and continued to use the truck untill the other broke. I'll ask again...has anyone broke one of the new style cables????Both of them??????

Idle_Chatter
01-24-2005, 17:45
I admit I haven't heard of the "new style" breaking as yet - they haven't had any time in use -as availability followed the recall by at least several months. As far as "using one" you are ABSOLUTELY wrong. I know of three cases where the cables both failed subsequently and instantaneously WITHOUT WARNING resulting in personal injury AND/OR damage to the tailgate. The cables do not show degradation within the plastic sleeves. When the first one goes, the second one goes simultaneously. Do you think the people injured were really standing or sitting or LOADING on a tailgate with ONLY ONE CABLE on it? C'mon! You must be a GM defense lawyer - and not a very good one at that! :rolleyes:

Idle_Chatter
01-24-2005, 18:08
This occurred today in Hillsboro, OR. I wonder if these straps were recalled?

Freak training accident knocks Beaverton policeman unconscious

05:08 PM PST on Wednesday, January 19, 2005

By ABE ESTIMADA, kgw.com Staff

HILLSBORO

Diesel Dan
01-24-2005, 19:04
I've had several trucks over the years with just one broken cable. Even my dodge had one broke. Now have the new ones on my '00 will have to wait and see. I like my dads '89 chevy, it still has the steel links like the older pre-87s had.

jbplock
01-25-2005, 04:23
Originally posted by Diesel Dan:
... I like my dads '89 chevy, it still has the steel links like the older pre-87s had. Dittos!

Stainless Steel VR Straps (http://dsdd.com/vrstrap/) on my 03... no worries about these breaking ... :eek:

http://thumb9.webshots.com/s/thumb1/2/16/9/121921609GFjdHG_th.jpg
VR Strap Installed (http://community.webshots.com/photo/63497470/121921609GFjdHG)

smile.gif

Mike Fultz
01-25-2005, 11:05
has anyone tries to get to the VRStrap website? Are they still selling the straps?

Mike

jbplock
01-25-2005, 15:45
http://dsdd.com/vrstrap/

madmatt
01-25-2005, 18:48
yeah those VR straps do look pretty beefy. No I'm not a GM defense lawyer (wouldn't mind drawing just one of their paychecks though.)and i dont want to/hate to see people get hurt. the only problem around here is all the farmers I know who are running around w/ one broken cable claming they don't have enough time to stop and get them replaced.There the same ones who spend all morning in the local coffee shop telling lies and smoking. the only time they'll come in is when their truck dies or the tailgate passed them going down the road. even if you don't trust the new cables, you ought to get them in case you trade your current rig you might want to keep the VR straps.

madmatt
01-25-2005, 19:00
and yes I have seen people stand on and load stuff onto tailgates supported by only one cable. I even had one cust brag to me while I was replacing his cables about how many people were standing on it w/ only one cable. Trust me I've dealt w' all kinds and while common sense prevails most of the time, someone out there is the reason the first published step in replacing the belt on your engine is to make sure the engine is shut off.

jbplock
01-26-2005, 04:25
Originally posted by madmatt:
... even if you don't trust the new cables, you ought to get them in case you trade your current rig you might want to keep the VR straps. I Agree!! I have the old cables in the truck with the recall letter ... I'm hoping my dealer will just exchange them for the new ones (without having to remove VR straps first)

smile.gif

rjschoolcraft
01-26-2005, 04:45
Those straps look just like what are OEM on my 1967 Chevy C10 (my dad bought the truck new in January 1967)... Have been working flawlessly for 38 years and over 250,000 miles now. Hmmm... Why did we switch to cables that break?

madmatt
01-26-2005, 18:21
yeah your dealer ought to just hand them to you after the formality of running the vin to verify the campaign is open on your truck and to close it as the recall has been performed. we hand them to cust. all the time. they may also want to inspect your old cables just to verify you still have the old cables and on the affected 04' the replaced cables were being called back to GM for inspection, so in that case they would need the old cables.

aero
01-27-2005, 11:55
several months ago ex-fire chief from phillipsburg ohio died when tailgate straps failed and dropped him to street, hitting his head.

jbplock
01-28-2005, 16:28
I stopped by my local dealer today and they would not trade my old cables for new ones unless they installed them... :rolleyes:

madmatt
01-29-2005, 10:23
thats ridiculas! to bad you have to deal w/ a
sh!ty dealer like that. It really p!sses me off w/ another dealer acts like that and makes all of us look bad. By the way, what did they think of those straps? did you let them install them? if not let me know and if you want I'll get a set to you. THATS BS!

jbplock
01-30-2005, 03:57
Madmatt,

Thanks for the offer to help! The service writer was very apologetic about not being able to exchange the cables. She said because it was a safety recall they had to do the work (also wasn't interested in looking at the VRstraps). So...I just left with my old cables (a little irritated). Otherwise this dealer has treated me very well. They are small but have done excellent work on a few non-engine warranty repairs. However, they don’t have a Diesel Tech so I would not go there with engine problems. I plan to keep the truck about 10 years and if/when I sell it and remove the Vrstraps, I’ll just inform the new owner about replacing the cables.

smile.gif

madmatt
01-30-2005, 19:12
Bill,

No problem. If you ever need any help w/ info let me know as I'm now running both GM Dealerworld and All Data Pro from home. I can now post the most up to date info/ bulletins available.

c5dura
02-09-2005, 12:26
Originally posted by jbplock:
I stopped by my local dealer today and they would not trade my old cables for new ones unless they installed them... :rolleyes: I got the same run-around at my dealer. So I let them install the new cables. What a mistake that turned out to be! The guy installed the new cables under the tailgate lock mechanism as opposed to above them! So the cables weren't free to swivel about the bolt, so the tailgate wouldn't close. He gave it several good tries however, so now the rubber coating on both cables are cut open, and there are big scrapes on the bed itself where the cables hit. This is the same dealership that cracked my windshield when sealing my center roof marker and basically told me it wasn't their fault.

Needles to say, I'll NEVER buy another vehicle from them, let alone working on any of my current ones again.

MIKE MOG
03-03-2005, 16:50
WOW, THAT SOUNDS LIKE A HACK SHOP.