PDA

View Full Version : Chroming the stock 3500 wheels?

cowboywildbill
12-30-2003, 19:16
I seem to remember that sometime back on a post,that someone had taken his stock 3500 wheels and had them chromed. I have an extra set now, and that's what I want to do. However when I called a couple different places that do the chrome work, they stated that they couldn't do steel wheels. They could only do the one piece aluminum wheels, because the chrome would not stick to the steel because of the welds. I know that some one has had them chromed before. I would appreciated any input. I wonder if these places don't nickle coat them first, and maybe that is why they only do aluminum? I would appreciate any help and or expertise on the subject, and where I might find someone to do them. And a ball park $$figure. I am on the east coast.Thanks and "HAPPY NEW YEAR"

mdrag
12-30-2003, 21:06
Cowboy Wild Bill,

Here is the link to a post on CHROME OEM WHEELS (http://forum.thedieselpage.com/cgi-bin/ultimatebb.cgi?ubb=get_topic;f=5;t=001211). Try this link for the PICS (http://community.webshots.com/album/76034334yNxUBI). This is my neighbor's truck. He uses Factory Reproductions in CA 800-824-2676 for all of his chrome work for his business. I'm not sure if they are set up to deal with individuals - they MAY only do work for business accounts.

Another suggestion would be to pick up a copy of Hemmings Motor News and search for chroming services. IIRC, the last time I looked through Hemmings - there were MANY vendors that should be able to chrome your wheels. Good luck.

http://thumb7.webshots.com/s/thumb1/3/46/97/76034697iSeLQx_th.jpg http://thumb6.webshots.com/s/thumb1/3/53/16/76035316IcEQsr_th.jpg

Buck
12-31-2003, 01:18
I know of a place in Dubuque, IA that does chrome work. I had and ATV brush guard done there WOW smile.gif . Very Very high quality work smile.gif . When I was there January '03 they were working on wheels for some custom choppers for Daytona Bike Week. They were really cool :cool:
The place is called AIH, phone is 1-800-782-8235 ask for Steve.

I had other chrome plating places tell me that my brushguard couldn't be chromed :rolleyes: . They said it had to many welded 90 degree corners which would "yellow". Well, Steve got it done for me and it was perfect. My buddy also brought a piece of trunk molding from his '68 Cuda, at the same time, which also turned out great smile.gif .

I don't know what the cost will be but it might be more cost effective to buy new wheels (Alcoa?) after shipping and all, just food for thought...

Unfortunately, some a-hole stole :mad: the ATV in April '03. It was an '03 Polaris 700 black and silver, chrome wheels/racks/brushguard/rear bumper, it was a sweet machine.

Diesel Dad
12-31-2003, 04:53
I did have my stock 3500 wheels powdercoated. I had to have the wheels sandblasted first. Then it was powdercoated silver metallic and the it had a clear powdercoat applied over the top.

Total cost about $500CDN. Worth it ???

I did have some bubbles in the powdercoat around the weld. Not a big deal unless you look closely.

For the same money, sims might have been better.

cowboywildbill
01-03-2004, 18:29
Thanks for the help. I talked to a salesman at western wheels, and they said they would do the wheels for $96.00 each. But they only polish one side of the wheel. This means I'll have to get two done for the outer rears, and two for the front. Which means I won't be able to rotate the correct way, unless I break them down and remount each time. I asked if they could do both sides of the wheels, and he said no. I am not sure why they can't. I might go with them for the work. I'll let you know what I come up with. I am going to give a call to the places that you all have mentioned before I decide. Thanks again for the input.

Mike Fultz
01-06-2004, 13:50
Hey Cowboy Wild Bill, Did you and I run into each other and talk about Chroming wheels at the Harley Davidson dealer in Frederick, Md ?? If so, small world hey? if not, theres another guy your way looking to do the same thing.

Mike

cowboywildbill
01-07-2004, 09:24
Hi Mike, that was me at Frederick Harley. It is a small world. I found a place to do my wheels, but the shipping out and back cost as much as the work. WOW! I might live with the sims for a while longer. Have a Happy New Year.