PDA

View Full Version : Headlight issue

DA BIG ONE
11-23-2005, 01:55
Low beams work ok until I ride w/highbeams for a bit then when I switch back to lows they do not come on right away when they do they go from normal light to dim and back for awhile then seem to be ok.

I have the aftermarket headlight harness so I get full power to lights from battery which is switched via original headlight harness, maybe a relay is going bad, or?

Dvldog 8793
11-23-2005, 06:19
Could be the contact points inside the relay or posbly the power conections for the relay. Were any wire tap connectors used? If so I would check those... Up here they tend to only last until winter when salt corrosion destroys them. You would be in a similar environment. Sounds like you are loosing voltage due to a bad connection or ground.
Hope this helps...
L8r
COnley

DA BIG ONE
11-25-2005, 16:14
Opened the relays (30 amp ea.) they are clean, and all connections are tight, no signs of overheating.

So, I must assume the issue is elsewhere thinking it maybe switch on the column, or even the factory headlight relay, but I don't know where this one is?

Dvldog 8793
11-26-2005, 10:53
Howdy
Idon't think they used a relay. :mad: I think all the juice runs through the switch. Check the contacts on your switch. Does your volt gauge drop when this happens?

DA BIG ONE
11-26-2005, 11:41
Originally posted by Dvldog 8793:
Howdy
Idon't think they used a relay. :mad: I think all the juice runs through the switch. Check the contacts on your switch. Does your volt gauge drop when this happens? I'll check the switch, I suffer from sometimers so I didn't think to look a voltage gauge, will now!

Thanks

HowieE
12-01-2005, 06:18
The factory wiring for the high/low lamps is fed from the daytime running light module through the high/low switch to the lamps. If the high side works OK I would assume the source voltage and the daytime module are OK and start to look elsewhere. Wire a volt meter to the tan wire, low bean side, that feeds the relay in you head light mode. If this voltage is steady when the problem occurs the factory systen is OK.
Did you head light mode come with a relay for both the high and low beams? If so I would check the low beam relay and all connection relating to that side of the circuit.