PDA

View Full Version : IGN SWITCH ????

NYCEGUY01
11-14-2005, 12:24
IN MY 96 DUALLY WHEN I TURN THE KEY NOTHING HAPPENS. IF I KEEP TRYING FOR A WHILE THEN ALL OF A SUDDEN THE WTS LIGHTS COME ON ALONG WITH ALL THE GAUGES GLOW PLUGS FUEL PUMP ETC. ONCE THIS HAPPENS ITS GOOD ,RUNS FINE ETC. ONCE YOU SHUT HER DOWN SAME THING ALMOST EVERY TIME. IS THIS JUST THE SWITCH OR IS THERE A RELAY OR SOMETHING ELSE THROWING A WRENCH IN THE WORKS??
HAS THIS HAPPENED TO ANYONE ELSE ??

tom.mcinerney
11-25-2005, 14:04
Sure seems like IgSw is implicated. If more than 100K Mi, why not replace switch and see if prob solved?? The mechanical piont contacts in swtches are subject to wear.

redbird2
11-26-2005, 05:17
You better bit the bullet and install new ignition swtich before she leaves you high and dry somewhere it won't start, we chage out 1 or 2 ignition swtichs a month morw in winter bruns out the pin contact for the heater than the ABS light comes on. not a good thing on a cold winter day no heat or defrost.

turbovair
12-24-2005, 10:15
Had the same trouble with mine. If wiggling the key(when running)causes the truck to stall, for sure its the ignition switch. Costs about $85 at the dealer, and a few hours to replace, but you will see an end to your problem. The piece of mind is worth it!

jspringator
12-25-2005, 07:04
Is it worth while to replace the ignition switch as a preventive maintance thing at 200,000 miles, or does the "if it ain't broke don't fix it" maxum apply?

Shuck
12-25-2005, 19:00
It's enough trouble to do it that I wouldn't replace it unless it was broken. Plus, with electronic parts, you just never know if the one you replace it with is going to crap out sooner.