PDA

View Full Version : 2003 cubby holes

BKColeman
02-05-2003, 13:23
I've got a 2003 2500HD LT. It seems to me that it has too many cubby holes in the center console (w/ no cassette). Has anyone found any good uses for them? If I put something in them all the truck would look junky.

What I would really like is to find a CB or a mobile scanner that is a close fit to the bottom hole. Any one know of one that is pretty close?

--Brad

AlanL
02-05-2003, 13:58
I agree...there are too many of them, and they're too small.

Fewer larger ones would make for much more useful storage.

My '01 suburban had a bigger center console that locked. MUCH nicer than the one in my '03 silverado crew cab.

TxDoc
02-05-2003, 15:13
I added the CB and scanner to mine and they fit fine. I think pics are below. A Saws-All cut the back off of the plastic thingy very nicely.

conradv
02-05-2003, 17:44
TXDoc - I looked but couldn't find the pics - did I just miss 'em?

TxDoc
02-05-2003, 21:50
Sorry. Go to http://www.picturetrail.com and "go to" TxDoc as the person's pics you want to view.

FisHn2DMax
02-06-2003, 01:29
That little cubby hole above the larger deep one, is the perfect size and place for EGT and Boost guages for the DuraMax.

:D

BKColeman
02-06-2003, 08:12
TxDoc, I didn't see a picture of a scanner or cb at picturetrail either. I think I looked through all of the albums, but maybe I missed them.

I really like your antennae mount though.

The deer vs Durango pictures are something else too.

AlanL
02-06-2003, 09:14
>>That little cubby hole above the larger deep
>>one, is the perfect size and place for EGT and
>>Boost guages for the DuraMax.

I was thinking the same thing yesterday when I hit the loud pedal and was telling myself that I need to get 'the juice' that everybody's talking about.

Does anybody make a face plate and guage package to slide right in there?

FisHn2DMax
02-07-2003, 20:45
AlanL,

No, I'm not aware of any after market custom bezel that will slide right in, but I going to have one made out a Delron type ( black) material and place the gauges in it.

If you come up with any ideas, I'm all ears! I think that small little cubby will be the perfect location for guages. I'm looking at a few different guage package options. I'm trying to find GOOD guages that will look almost as if it was factory, including backlighting and color. I'll let you know what I'm come up with. Once I determine the Guages I'll be using, I'm planning to have my brother (owns a machine/mold shop) make a custom bezel and face plate. I can have him run a few extras, however you would have to use the same guages or hole diameters.

Any idea's on some nice quality guages?

matt-max
02-08-2003, 10:36
it's just one gauge, but the SPA-digital is probably the highest quality unit available. they do make you pay for it it though...i have Isspros in my 96 k2500 and they work and look great too.

i will be mounting mine in a single a-pillar autometer pod just above the dash. i like hoots spot in place of the airbag switch and jk's in the upper console too, but want the gauge where i can see it easily without taking my eyes off the road.

i think your spot will be very stock looking depending upon which gauges you go with. wish i had the time and talent and patience to make a custom mount like that. can't wait to see how it turns out!

matt

mfontana
02-09-2003, 21:20
That little cubby hole above the larger deep
one, is the perfect size and place for EGT and
Boost guages for the DuraMax. This is exactley what I thought until the person that was selling the gauges said, "You really don't want to have to take your eyes and attention off the road and look down at a gauge. He showed me the two piller gauges in his truck and I saw what he ment. I then purchased the piliar mount and I can still keep my eyes on the road and notice the gauges out of the corner of my eye. At eye level I have a straight look at the gauge insted of looking up or down at a gauge and getting a distorted view of the gauge. I use the lower cubby for my Air bag dual needle pressure gauge and the two rocker switches. It's not necessary to look at this gauge more than once each time I get in the truck to go somewhere to make sure there is at least 5 pounds pressure in the bags.

Alan L. By the way, my V1 works fine in my 2003 D/A. Not the updated version and no Sat. radio but I do have On-Star

AlanL
02-10-2003, 08:09
VDO might make some guages that will be the right look for the truck. I have VDO guages in my BMW Racer...they're quality items. Black face with orange needles and white backlighting.

With regard to location, the guy has a point about taking your eyes off the road, although you have to move your eyes to check your factory guages, as well.

I have my race car guages down even lower than the location that we're talking about in the DMax, but I only check them once a lap on the longest straight at any given track.

Burner
02-10-2003, 16:19
Hey Fellas,

I must agree with Alan. If you need to see your guage for more than a second... you'er pushing it too hard. If you are looking at your guage you'er either pulling or racing. Any "heavy" pulling should be done at slower speeds. Looking at your guage should not take more than 60 or 70 ft of road. I think that all of us are very capable of knowing what's in our lane. However, for those few who have removed the top speed limmiter, guage placement is critical. Perhaps an LED hood mounted guage would work? Mounting a fox reversed hood scoop with the guage inside would work? Ten lights ranging from green to red should cover the boost spectrum.

Just a thought ;)

Burner

matt-max
02-10-2003, 18:24
sounds just like the 'asymetric performance blister' pontiac had on the 80-81 turbo trans-am with the handful of lights facing the driver where the air intake should be, providing much -needed info...like, "hey dude! we're making five lights of boost!". what a p.o.s. that thing was....

NoMo
02-10-2003, 23:46
I have plenty of things stuffed into the cubby holes around the center console, but have yet to find any purpose whatsoever for the cubby above the light switch. Being verticle & rounded, about the only thing I can think of that might fit & stay put is a pack of smokes. Anyone found a use for that particular cubby?

Holeshot
02-11-2003, 16:38
I made a pannel for my airride swiches for that small cubby. But a set of gauges or switches is perfect there easy to reach and out of the way of spilled beers smile.gif Ill post photos soon real soon (my bro has to dowm load my camera). The pannel can be made of anything, i.e. plexi,alumnium,abs plastic. I chose 1/8" alumnium cuz it gave it rigity, andI covered it with a piece of vinal. Go to your local ace and pick your self up some small screws with plack caps. Whatever you mount take your time makeing it but the results are sweet.
Later
Tony