PDA

View Full Version : Independent rear suspension?

Nix
01-22-2005, 04:47
Has anyone ever heard of putting an independent rear suspension on a truck? I have heard claims that an irs setup has better traction under power than a live axle, and also handles/rides better.
I have seen irs setups on some tricked out muscle cars, but have never seen one on a pickup.

Also thinking about the Kelderman 4-link airbag setup for my truck. Anyone have experience with these? How does replacing the rear leaf springs with airbags affect axle wrap/wheel hop/traction, etc.

Thanks to all for your insights/opinions! :cool:

DmaxMaverick
01-22-2005, 10:39
HMMWV's (AKA: Hummer, H1) are 4 wheel indepenent. It must be an advantage, or they wouldn't have gone through all the trouble of adding expense and moving parts in a military application.

pgreen
01-22-2005, 17:29
Part of the reason for the IRS system on the H1 is ground clearance. That's something the H2 didn't get!

IRS should ride and handle better. I don't know what the load carrying capability of the IRS system is though.

P

Idle_Chatter
01-22-2005, 19:24
Well, if you're planning on putting all that extra hardware, weight and money up under there - you might as well throw in 4-wheel steering! :D

Nix
01-22-2005, 21:16
Is it possible to adapt an IRS setup to a 2500HD? Or is it just a question of $$$? I intend to drag race too. Don't some IRS cars hop if the wheels break loose? What do you guys think of keeping the stock axle and replacing the springs with airbags? I have many questions, and really appreciate all the good answers. :cool: Thanks!

Idle_Chatter
01-23-2005, 04:27
Well, it's possible to do anything with enough time and money. Trading the strength and utility of the 14.5 rear axle just to get IS is hardly the best solution. I think the simplest solution would be traction bars (see the latest developments in the DMax Power Project) and changing the springing by removing one leaf and adding airbags. You should be able to find a few days worth of information on airbags and the Kellerman air setup by searching in this discussion area.

Nix
01-24-2005, 03:17
Thanks for the input. I could not find anything relating to replacing the rear springs with airbags (specifically Kelderman 4 link) and how it affects axle wrap. Just wondering if anyone has any thoughts on this. Thanks! :cool:

Idle_Chatter
01-24-2005, 18:28
A four-link, by its basic design will not allow axle wrap - the links only allow the axle to move up and down and are actually a PAIR of traction bars.

Did you try these?

http://www.keldermanmfg.com/productdetails.php?id=01GM4LNK4WD

Nix
01-24-2005, 23:33
Thanks for answering that for me. I plead ignorance with these things, which is why I'm here looking for answers! I still didn't see any text on the link provided referring to axle wrap :confused: , but I looked at the pictures and it became clear to me. Thanks again! :D