PDA

View Full Version : Made Air Gizmo to clean AC cond/radiator

DA BIG ONE
11-24-2005, 13:38
Took an 18" long straight steel brake line stepped the fitting to fit onto the air fitting that plugs into compressor hose, then soldered brake line so it would not leak air. I then folded the far end of brake line and crimped with heavy hammer, then drilled a very small hole in the side of brake line near end crimp so air blows at right angle.

I then removed the upper radiator shroud (7) 10mm bolts then used the gizmo to reach all the way down and around radator first, then ac condensor, then tranny/oil coolers blew everything out towards the front, lots of dirt, little & big bugs, birds feathers, small stones and leaves.

Worked like a charm!

Ratau
11-25-2005, 03:19
:cool: If you suck up water & soap mixed by means off a venturi the air will blow the water mist through the radiators to give it a real good clean.

DA BIG ONE
11-25-2005, 07:46
Originally posted by Ratau:
:cool: If you suck up water & soap mixed by means off a venturi the air will blow the water mist through the radiators to give it a real good clean. Now that is a good idea!

HowieE
11-27-2005, 08:51
Not that many drivers realize the need to keep the radiator, condenser, and oil coolers clean, but rather look to additional fans or cooling mode to solve the problem. Periodic cleanings of the outside of these components can greatly extend adequate functionality of the cooling system.
After cleaning mine several times I installed screening to extend the time between cleanings.
If you install screening do not use window screen or similar small weave screening because tightly woven screening can reduce air flow by as much as 50%. A balance between air flow and bug size is about 1/8 in. screening.
I have posted a diagram for cutting screening for the bumper foot holes on my site.
http://mysite.verizon.net/vze54tx9/

DA BIG ONE
11-27-2005, 09:12
Originally posted by HowieE:
Not that many drivers realize the need to keep the radiator, condenser, and oil coolers clean, but rather look to additional fans or cooling mode to solve the problem. Periodic cleanings of the outside of these components can greatly extend adequate functionality of the cooling system.
After cleaning mine several times I installed screening to extend the time between cleanings.
If you install screening do not use window screen or similar small weave screening because tightly woven screening can reduce air flow by as much as 50%. A balance between air flow and bug size is about 1/8 in. screening.
I have posted a diagram for cutting screening for the bumper foot holes on my site.
http://mysite.verizon.net/vze54tx9/ This is why I love this site, lots of great ideas from it's members!

Thanks

moondoggie
11-30-2005, 08:33
Good Day!

I wonder if tee-ing a garden hose & an air hose might not work well... :eek:

When my daughter's Corsica had dramatically reduced air flow through the HVAC, my mechanic brother said I should hose the evaporator (1st thing after the blower) with brake cleaner. I protested - that puts all the crap into the HVAC. He told me that that's what all the mechanics do & it seems to work fine.

Sooooooo...I went one better. I took a 2 or 3 foot long piece of brake line & connected it to a nozzle (from the air compressor) with a short piece of plastic tubing. Then I poked a small hole through the side of this plastic tubing. Ya know the 3" piece of red, hard plastic tubing that comes with the spray can of brake cleaner? I pushed that through the hole in the plastic tubing.

It took two folks to operate, but one ran the air hose nozzle & the other ran the brake cleaner. This allowed a high-pressure stream of air, with whatever amount of brake cleaner injected that I wanted. It cleaned that evaporator like new, & her HVAC airflow returned.

Wouldn't the same thing work by tee-ing a garden hose & air compressor nozzle? ;) If I ever get time... :(

Blessings!