PDA

View Full Version : Underseat Storage Box

TxDoc
12-11-2002, 09:33
Many poeple wanted, but did not get an underseat storage box. They started out around $30 and, in the end, some were talking $800+ for a plastic box.

I ran across this underseat box that is pretty nice, too. Website states:

SeatVault is designed to bolt under the rear bench seat of most extended cab pickups. Made of 16 ga. steel, secured with a rugged T-handle lock and measuring approx. 51"W x 12"L with an average height of 6", the SeatVault is ideal for safely storing shotguns, rifles, ammunition and other valuables out of sight in the cab of your pickup.

Units feature rugged ball bearing transport drawer glides for maximum weight capacity and support.
Durable powder coated finish protects outer surfaces from scratches and wear.
pics-
http://www.truckvault.com/images/SeatVault/FloatOpen.jpg
http://www.truckvault.com/images/pix/open.jpg
http://www.truckvault.com/images/pix/closed.jpg

http://www.truckvault.com/seatvault.asp

While $495.99 seems more expensive than an aluminum tool box, it seems very secure and well-designed. Maybe a good alternative.

Stage 1
12-11-2002, 13:22
Also, looks like the GMC 2003 Accessory Catalog for Sierra has the under seat box for extended cab available again. Did not check price but would assume it to be somewhat reasonable?

TxDoc
12-11-2002, 15:35
$195.00 ordered from the factory.

VA_Dmax
12-11-2002, 16:21
This one looks good. Im in VA and its about $36 shipping.

http://www.instatrunk.com/products/rearseat_index.htm

sk
12-12-2002, 14:04
Stage 1:

The only underseat storage bin I see in the 2003 catalog is GM part number 12498114 (item "KK"). This looks like a good box, but I don't think it is the same one that everyone was looking for earlier (the one that comes standard in the Sierra Professional) -- that box had a lid and an extra storage "tackle box", and the whole thing mounted to the seat frame. It's hard to tell from the picture if this one is the same. This still looks like a great storage box, though! :cool:

TxDoc:

Which one was $195, the TruckVault or the GMC Accessories?

Scott

[ 12-12-2002: Message edited by: sk ]</p>

TxDoc
12-12-2002, 14:43
The TruckVault--steel, sliding drawer,etc., is $495. The $195 one is the one the dealer had in his Sierra Accessories Catalog. I have not seen a pic of it. If it differs from the Sierra Pro one, I don't know. I have not seen a pic of it. Someone may have a link or a scan.

I like my lockable box that is from the Sierra Professional Package, but the TruckVault is very nice for valuables and firearms, too.

Stage 1
12-12-2002, 16:59
Sk,
I think you are correct, in that the new under seat box in the 2003 Accessory catalog is different then the previous professional series item. Agree catalog pic is not real detailed.

TBC
12-12-2002, 21:42
Does anyone know anything about the Insta-trunk underseat storage box that is $99.00?

Where is this GMC catalog that you all are talking about. The one I found on line does not have the box in it.

Tom

sk
12-13-2002, 12:28
To get to the 2003 Sierra (or Silverado) Accessories brochure:

- go to http://www.gmc.com
- look under "Shop & Buy" at the top and go to "GMC Accessories"
- up at the top, click on "Download Brochures" (DO NOT click on the Sierra picture at the right -- it only gives you some of the 2003 accessories!)
- fill out the pull-down boxes with the info for 2003 Sierra (or whichever one you want) -- this will show a link to a .pdf file
- open the link (you must have Acrobat Reader) -- the picture of the storage box is on Acrobat page 9 of the Sierra brochure (same page in the Silverado brochure)

Scott

TBC
12-14-2002, 22:50
I located the GMC underseat storage box on GMPartsDirect for $150.50 and $30.10 UPS ground shipping to Ft. Worth, TX. That beats all other prices I have seen lately.

Part number is 12498114 and the nomenclature is DIVIDER of all things.

I just ordered my Christmas present.

Tom Cobb

ChopperBill
12-17-2002, 19:13
Went to the GMC dealer and asked about the price of the box. $190 + $12 tax = $202. Told them I could get it from the GMC web site for $150 + $30 frt = $180. He told me to buy it from them. When I plunked down 37 grand for the new truck they didnt seem to have a "buy it somewhere else" attitude. :mad:

TBC
12-17-2002, 22:23
They must be in financial trouble if $22.00 will break them. Amazing the attitude of some people, however I suspect if the parts manager or general manager knew this it might change things. This price is still a far cry from some prices I had seen a while back.

Tom

TBC
12-23-2002, 23:04
I got the "storage box" from GMPartsDirect and now know why it is called a divider. It is the shape of the back seat and actually provides containment of anything that is under the seat. It actually walls in the area under the seat and seat closes down on top of it. There is a lock on the passenger side that actually locks the seat bottom to prevent entry into the area. It was not what I expected since I not sent any pictures of it but I like it and it does what I wanted to do and that was provide a way to contain things stored under the seat and it sure does that and provides the capacity to put more under it since it is now a "box". If it were not for the "partition" as it is called you could not anything and expect it to stay.

It took just over an hour to install. The instructions are little lacking especially where the lock is concerned. Throw away the lock cams that are in the lock bag and use the black one GM provides. It is not difficult to install.

Merry Christmas to me and to all the Diesel Page Members and may the Lord be good to you all. May you all have a blessed New Year.

jlars
01-09-2003, 21:27
I noticed that a couple of people have gotten the under the seat storage. I am hunting for something that will store power and hand tools in addition to tool box. Does anyone have any opinions on their storage units now that they have used them?

Seattle Steve
01-09-2003, 22:53
For those of you who have the extended cab and aren't picky, the cardboard boxes 8 1/2x 11 copy paper comes in will fit perfectly if you trim the top down a little. I put the cover under the box for simple corner reinforcement. A box will fit on either side of the hump or use two, one for each side. Ugly but functional!

ChopperBill
01-10-2003, 08:31
I found a couple of plastic storage boxes with lids at Wally world and the work pretty darn good. Really cant tell they are there. Big enough to hold a couple of quarts of oil, jumper cables and other odds and ends I carry for our Polaris's.

jw461
01-18-2003, 11:27
Well, I'll be selling my truck in this next week so I'm pulling the underseat bin out of it. It's the actual GM one. If anyone wants it, how about $100 locally in Dallas?

breeze hotshot
01-18-2003, 11:56
jw461
I would be interested email me at Breezehotshot@prodigy.net
I'll give you ph#
Thanks

breeze hotshot
01-18-2003, 14:05
jw461
Sorry thats breezehotshot@prodigy.net