PDA

View Full Version : Hi Beam/ Low Beam

James Hewett
02-21-2005, 02:04
Has anyone installed a 4 headlight control wiring box from Painless Wiring ? It is suppose to allow Low beams to stay on when Hi beams are on to allow real 4 headlight action.

a5150nut
02-21-2005, 14:31
I just picked up a headlite relay and wired it into the system. Before relay I ran into a problem in the snow one nite. Got to the eadge of town and turned on the high beam and the lites went out. With the plastic houseings, the high side had iced over. With the relay in it is no longer a problem. And when someone questions your lite brightness, all dought goes away when all four come on!

James Hewett
02-22-2005, 14:48
Well I just got done installing the relay and it went super EZ. I have a feeling I'm really gonna like it. Before when I put the hi-beams on something seamed missing and didn't know what happened. This relay is well designed and got to solve the lost in dark feeling. Thank You Painless, smile.gif smile.gif

a5150nut
02-22-2005, 20:41
Did you run a new power wire to the relay and on to the lites? More amps!

And with the low beams on at the same time as the brights, you lite up the area just in front of the truck.

Kirkes
02-26-2005, 18:14
This sounds like something I would like to do. Do you think you could give me more info. on part # for the relay & instructions on installing it?
Thanks
Brent

a5150nut
02-26-2005, 20:44
IIRC it was a 35amp headlight relay. Diagram is on the bottom and on the box.

Stock headlight wire cut and attached to relay at switch terminal on relay. Ground side to ground. Swithed n/o gets hot from battery, then to headlights.

I used an inline fuse coming from battery going to relay. World of differenc in snow. And the suprize those people get when they question my brights and they get all four flashed back....

BlackMaxAlly
03-03-2005, 15:40
Well, for those who want to spend less than a buck, and take a mere 10 mins or less if you are really fast, you can just buy PN#-276-1101, which is a simple 1n4001-Silicon Diode.

Radio Shack has these redily available! And you do get two, so give a buddy one, and really impress him!

Wrap the diode with electrical tape, two wraps, bend the tangs (leads ) and orient the black colored band that biases the Diode, facing the HDLP HI relay.

Just ensure that the #85 terminal on the receptacle side is used,(not neccasarily the relay, but look at this orientation also!) and simply run it from, the #85 HDLP Low to the #85 HDLP High.

Note- Ensure that you are reading the terminal #85 at both terminations, and NOT Just on the relay itself, as it may cause your ECM to fry, which is several hundred bucks to replace!.

Also, make sure that NO other terminals are touching the leads, as this can and will short it out, if you want, you can solder an additional length (1/2") of >14 gauge wire, but I easily just stuffed the leads into the receptacle after carefull bending.

This is for 2003 and after Silverado's, but may work in other GM vehicle's as well.

Mine has been in my '05,D/A, LWB, 4X4, extended cab, for 2K miles, 2 months, and doing great! This isn't anything new either, others have had them in for years!

The difference IS dramatic, and I truly wonder just why the factory does not do it? Once you do it, you will love it! To see the difference, pull the turn signal stalk back, and see how much different it is as compared to just the high beam!

It will take you longer to print these instructions out, than to do the job!!!! ;)

BlackMaxAlly
03-03-2005, 15:59
Also...to add!

If you want to get real fancy, you can take the time and effort to remove the Fuse/Terminal box, locate the terminations on the underside and solder these same connections on the other side, as opposed to the top mount!

Ensure that you use a good heat shrink, and maybe liquid tape to waterproof the whole job! This can be done in the top mount proceedure already discussed in the previous post also!

I don't have a problem with the top mounted connection myself....but thought I'd add this as an alternative for those who like a cleaner looking job. I estimate an hour or so for this proceedure....and care in not shorting out ANY other connections in the process!

jbplock
03-04-2005, 04:33
Here's another way to do it