PDA

View Full Version : stereo install questions

kavik
02-04-2004, 17:40
Getting ready to replace my stock stereo. I have a few questions which came up.

Anyone know the part number (2001 GMC x-cab 3500) for the replacement box/shelf to plug the cassette player hole after you remove it?

Had my speakers replaced at circut city with 6 1/2 components. Not real happy with the install. May have to try to fix it (but the speakers do sound nice)The tweeters don't fit in the factory locations as the factory tweeters are in a non-removeable type large diamond shaped plastic mount. So they put the new tweeters next to the open holes from takling the stock ones out. Looks crappy when sun hits the grille and you can see in. Has anyone replaced the tweeters and how did you get around/fix this problem?

Has anyone mounted a single cd/dvd player in either the empty cassette area or the storage bin under it that came out looking nice? Which hole did you use, did you find a mounting/trim kit to secure the player? Need any cutting for the opening? I found a player standard single stereo sized.

Thanks in advance

Buck
02-05-2004, 00:56
I have seen trucks with a CD player in the factory cassette opening, so I know it will work. Dunno if they had to trim anything :confused: can't seem to remember where I seen it.

I bought a Alpine 7897 for my truck. It has a din and a half face (phantom face XL) I put it in the factory CD player location, fit good and looks really good. My only regret now is I didn't get the one without the internal amp (7898 it has more functions :rolleyes: like I need that ), I have an external 100x4 RF Punch amp powering 4 Rockford Fosgate Fanatic Q component speakers. 6 3/4" front, 4" rear.

BTW, I holesawed the factory tweeters out so my new tweeters would fit in the factory "plastic diamond shaped thingy". For the rear I made a plate from 3/16 hard poly to hold the speakers and the tweeters next to them. Made for a really slick install ;) I used foam baffles on all speakers: 6 3/4 fronts and 4x6 rears, they really do help.

BassinRVer
02-05-2004, 04:02
look at my install. I placed the front tweeter above the mids on the door frame. Picture #79.

http://www.pbase.com/rjctamu/inbox&page=1

mdrag
02-05-2004, 13:07
Kavik,

I replaced the speakers in my '01 crew cab with Pioneer TS-C1653 6.5" component speakers @ $90 pair. For the fronts, I left the OEM tweeter in its original location, and surface mounted the Pioneer tweeter at the 9 o'clock posiiton relative to the OEM tweeter. The surface mounted tweeter is angled up toward the occupants. Initially, I left the OEM tweeter hooked up and discovered too much distortion - so the OEM tweeter was disconnected but remains in the original mounting location.

My OEM system did not have tweeters in the rear doors of the crew cab. I chose to mount the Pioneer tweeters in the armrests. The 6.5" speakers mounted in the OEM location front and rear easily. There are a few pics of my install at this DIRECT LINK (http://community.webshots.com/photo/76034334/116345597RBtWcC), or choose the second link in my sig and then view the MISC album - the speaker pics are at the end of the album.

motovet
02-09-2004, 18:28
Kavik, I think my pics show all but the front door speaker install. Check them out anyway, other ideas may come to you. What the pics don't show is I used plastic stock to fit in behind the stock tweeter locations. Just screw down the tweeters to the plastic piece and then screw in the piece to the stock locations. For best results with most components the tweeters should angle towards the front center for best imaging. I would'nt put much effort in the rear,coax is all you will need there as it is just for fill anyway. Mine sounds best with the fronts and subs only. Live show...road show...the stage should always be in front of you. Some claim the rear fill mimicks the echo effect of a live show, but in the small confines of your truck well amped fronts will surround you plenty. The rear components make sense in Bassins truck however cause he is cruisin in a 5.1 surround DVD theatre/stereo system...very nice. I could'nt find the part # for the cassette filler. The GM dealer will look it up for you. It was only about $13. Have fun....I did!

Bobalamm
02-10-2004, 12:59
Hey BassinRVer, where did you get the center console mounted monitor? I checked the website for Vizualogic and they don't have it?

BassinRVer
02-11-2004, 06:06
The center console monitor is an Alpine TME-M790 monitor. It has motorized tilt and swivel movements.

Bobalamm
02-11-2004, 07:33
Thanks BassinRVer, your set-up is pretty nice looking