PDA

View Full Version : Factory Head Unit...

Silver Bullet
02-09-2003, 23:17
All I can say is WOW!!! I replaced the factory head unit with a Pioneer DEH-P77DH and it brought the less than desirable factory speakers to life! If I would have known the improvement was going to be this significant I would have done this sooner!

thechevyhdman
02-09-2003, 23:58
All I can say is wait till you replace the factory speakers.........then your radio and your neighbors will come to life. I replaced my factory head unit first then a few months later replaced all factory speakers.....These factory speakers serve no better of a purpose then as paperweights. Currently waiting on installing a small subwoofer onne of these days. Bill

Piney
02-10-2003, 04:36
So, did you leave the factory cassette deck in or replace it with a pocket?

GMC D-Max
02-10-2003, 08:09
I switched to the same unit a while back. MAJOR improvement over the stock head unit. Gets rid of the "Playskool" look, too! tongue.gif

Now I'm just waiting to find a killer deal on a set of Focal or AD (Audio Development) separates for the front doors. Been seeing some Focal 7" sets on eBay for reasonable money. (If you call over $500 reasonable, that is!)

mackin
02-10-2003, 09:45
Pine

I did ...Perhaps a spot for XM someday.....Who uses mini reel to reel any more???? ;)

MAC :D :D :D

Piney
02-10-2003, 21:39
mackin,

Do you have pictures and/or a GM part number??

Silver Bullet
02-11-2003, 08:57
HDMan - If all goes well, the factory speakers will be out this weekend. I am puttin' the finishing touches on my box tonight...it is a tight fit behind the rear seat, but I think it is going to work...can't wait to see how it sounds! Hopefully I will not have to back to the drawing board!

Piney - I replaced the tape deck with a cubby hole...I can post a part number if you are interested (let me know)...it was hard to track down...I finally had to go to a stealer and got lucky enough to talk to a guy that knew what I was talking about.

I'll post pics soon!

Piney
02-11-2003, 12:00
Silver Bullet,

Yeah, I'm interested. I'd like to lose the tape deck myself, but wanna see what the cubby hole looks like installed....part number too. Thanks!

Silver Bullet
02-11-2003, 20:35
Piney,
Check out http://www.monkey.net/steve (Truck Mod 25 - Stereo Upgrade). The pic kinda sucks, but it will do until I wrap up this project and take better pics.

The part number is 15958735 for the cubby hole. It is lined with a little gray felt-type material.

Let me know if you have anymore questions.

Piney
02-11-2003, 20:57
SB....thanks! I think that looks really good, gonna give the dealer a call tomorrow to find out how much they want for that..

mackin
02-11-2003, 21:02
Piney

Not GM but my Alpine is XM ready and I would like to fit or get a install kit to put a receiver in it's place.....

MAC

Silver Bullet
02-11-2003, 23:46
Mac,
Would the XM unit fit in the overhead center console...the part closest to the windshield?

Piney,
Shoot me an e-mail when you get a chance...smbrown819@yahoo.com

SB

[ 02-11-2003: Message edited by: Silver Bullet ]</p>

cme4lyt
02-12-2003, 14:43
Silver Bullet,

Did the Pioneer DEH-P77DH unit fit straight into the factory head space or did you have to cut/chop/modify/fabricate/improvize to get it to go in ?

I am looking to do the same change and run my Jensen sirius unit thru' it.

Thanx in advance !

mackin
02-12-2003, 17:00
Silver Bullet,

I haven't gotten XM yet ,but have seen (all ready installed) a couple guys who have fit the XM where you would like to....I think a couple guys did it here too .....

cme4lyt

That is a BIG chasse direct fit head unit for GM replacment.....

MAC

cme4lyt
02-12-2003, 19:18
mackin,

Crutchfield shows the Pioneer unit fitting directly into the GM opening but "it seems to good to be true" ? I don't want to do a bunch of cuttin' and hackin' to get the Pioneer unit to fit.

Later...

mackin
02-12-2003, 19:49
cme4lyt

I went through Crutchfield solely because they give all necessary components including no butcher speaker and head unit install NO cut OEM wires but with supplied harness's from Crutchfield......

I put an Alpine unit in retained onstar,replaced all four speakers and only drilled 4 holes for each rear speaker mount because I choose component speakers......Comes with NO cut speaker connections to Factory plugs also....

I did custom mount tweeters in the front but that WAS my choice.....(see PICS)

Simple, easy, you pay a little more, but it's worth it.....The Pioneer will fit puurfect,I'll bet.....

All with a thirty day MONEY BACK GUARANTY ,and I returned speakers no questions asked......

I'm even upgrading my stereo in my 84 OLDS crasher,factory AM FM,with a no cut deal,now.....

I like that option (no hack)alot.....

[ 02-12-2003: Message edited by: mackin ]</p>

AnTKoch
02-12-2003, 23:59
To anyone putting in a Pioneer unit wanting XM radio, with the letter "p" in the model number does not have to put an add on display unit in the cassete area or anywhere else. All you need is the XM receiver unit (which you hide away maybe behind your back seat), and an XM antenna. The XM unit will connect to the IP buss which is the blue connection on the back of the stereo that you would hook a CD player to. I have the DEH-P77DH and it looks great in the dash although you may have to get a little tricky installing unless they have re-released a good install kit for the slide in, also recommend getting a factory plug wire kit so you don't have to cut any original wires.

Good luck
Adam

Silver Bullet
02-13-2003, 14:26
cme4lyt,
Mack is on the money...I got my stereo from Crutchfield too for the same reason. It came with an antenna adapter, mounting frame adapter, and wiring harness adapter. I paid a little more, but they have great customer service and tech support which is important for me as a novice stereo installer. All the wires are color matched for the wiring harness adapter.

On edit: I have OnStar, but opted not to hook it up with the new stereo as I am not renewing my service. The OnStar wiring harness adapter ran about $90 from Crutchfield.

[ 02-13-2003: Message edited by: Silver Bullet ]</p>

Piney
02-14-2003, 13:59
SB-

$90 for the OnStar adapter!!! That's crazy. So is the OnStar system disabled completely if you don't get the adapter? I thought that even if you didn't renew your subscription, that in the event your truck was stolen, they (OnStar) could still do the GPS track thing to locate your vehicle. I already spent $50 on the adapter for the aux input so that I could hook up the TV/VCR/DVD player for the kids. Everybody's got their hand out, don't they????

mackin
02-14-2003, 16:37
Piney

As far as I know it will be disabled......Onstar interfaces with headunit .....

The Crutchfield interface is OK but it would be nice if you could still adjust volume with headunit.....With this unit you need to set while installing.....Sounds, OK but your sitting, not driving, with any road noise..... :rolleyes: Long story short, mine is barely loud enough, and I need to pull receiver to adjust.....

It does mute as stock unit did when Onstar is on......

Perhaps something better will come along ...I only use in NY where it is illegal to use hand held when driving.....Onstar min are expensive,as you know.....Not to positive on the security issue ,but I'm willing to bet you need to subscribe for that feature,search and rescue stolen vehicle.....

motovet
02-16-2003, 02:37
Gmc-dmax, might want to take a look at these: http://www.adireaudio.com/mobile_audio/components/components.htm Been a lot of good things said about this set over at caraudio forum. Some of the reviewers like them better than the Focals...etc. All of them liked them better than what they had, and all for $350.

GMC D-Max
02-16-2003, 16:03
Thanks for the info, Motovet!
However, I'd never buy a set of speakers without listening to them first. Even just going by somebody else's review of them can be an iffy proposition. Chances are every one of us likes a different kind of beer, same goes for speakers. What may sound good to one person might not sound so great to another. Maybe if I could find a dealer where I can actually audition these....

Silver Bullet
02-16-2003, 21:30
I am almost done...the wires are run...I just need to connect everything...hopefully tomorrow! I now know why it takes so long to install a stereo and why it is not cheap...when done correctly!

http://www.monkey.net/steve ...check out Truck Mods 25 - Stereo Upgrade (slow loading...a lot of pics)

Everything went well...no clips broken until I put the PS rear door jam back on and the metal broke clip broke! Running the new speaker wires into the doors was the hardest part.

Piney - I know the speaker phone feature will not work...I don't know about the GPS.

ON EDIT: IT IS DONE! It sounds great and I can't wait to tune it a little!!! I still have a little house cleaning to do. I have added a couple more pics.

[ 02-18-2003: Message edited by: Silver Bullet ]</p>

GMC D-Max
02-18-2003, 14:37
Hey! Whattaya doing posting pics of my dashboard?? ;)

Looking good SB!

I'm finally getting around to putting the system in my rig (it's only been about 6 months in the planning stage! :rolleyes: ).

I pulled the headliner out last night, as the amps (3 black Precision Power Art Series) are going to mount in the roof over the rear seat. What a chore! GM, in their infinite wisdom, glued the entire wiring harness for the mirror, console, dome light, and CHMSL to the back of the headliner! Then, didn't bother to put an easily accessible plug on the bundle coming up the A-pillar! My only options were to a) tear the entire dash apart to locate and disconnect the harness plug(s) or b) cut the bundle and splice it back together later. You guessed it. SNIP!!

Silver Bullet
02-19-2003, 22:58
GMC D-Max - Good luck with that! Is there really enough room to put the amps in the headliner???

GMC D-Max
02-20-2003, 08:15
In the extended cab there's a space approx. 20" x 44" between the reinforcing in the roof. My rack of amps, squeezing them as close together as I can while still be able to make all the connections, is roughly 42" long. I'm building a mounting system using aluminum rails, then trimming the headliner for the amps to protrude through. I'll trim it out with a piece of polished aluminum plate when it's all together (no neon or other fluff! :rolleyes: ).

ryeguy
02-20-2003, 12:42
Silver Bullet,

More details on your sub mount behind the rear seat. I've got an extended cab too (with the GM under-seat storage box) and we were looking for a place to put a sub in mine...

--Rob (just-installed Alpine CDA-7894 and lovin' it)

GMC D-Max
02-20-2003, 12:57
He's got a crew cab. More room behind the seat than in the extended cab (no room!). :(

motovet
02-20-2003, 17:24
GMC, Looks like a local Adire dealer is:X-Treme Sound 401 N. Meridian, Puyallup...253-445-8388. From what I am hearing I don't want to audition them as I just installed the Bostons. I would probably want a set. It is to late for me for now but maybe an option for you? Everyone is raving about them, supposed to have incredible mid-bass response and excellant highs. If you check them out let me know what you think....could always put the Pro's in the travel trailer!

GMC D-Max
02-20-2003, 18:23
Yeah, I've been in that shop! Don't particularly care for the owners, or the clientele, and I don't think they're into cutting any deals. And I refuse to pay full retail for stereo equipment. I know too well how much mark-up is in it!

I've got my eye on a set of Focal separates (7" mid, and tweeter) on eBay right at the moment....