PDA

View Full Version : 3rd Party Warranty Service

MNR
02-10-2003, 13:16
I'm at the point where I need to decide on which extended warranty to go for. I'd rather use Warranty Gold due to the 5year/150000miles, but I'm concerned about the approval process for repairs.

GM Majorguard will be no trouble at all, but they only go to 100000miles with various years.

For those who have used Warranty Gold, will the approval process be a problem, particularly when on the road?

Thanks,
Paul

cbrock
02-10-2003, 19:44
Absolutely DO NOT go with the 3rd party warranty. On my previous truck I did. I got one called Warranty Wizard. I got it at 35k miles, just before the factory one was up. I got a 7yr/100,000 mile warranty with no deductible. Well, I used it once to repair a window motor that went bad and that was it. I had gone in to my mechanic for several things and the warranty company would not cover it, not even for inspection. I had problems with my rear differential and front differential and they said NO to both inspections, repairs, etc. They are awful to deal with. I spent $1400 and only utilized $180 of it. I will be trying to get them to refund the difference to me soon since they denied me on so many things. Stick to factory or dealer warranties.

mdrag
02-10-2003, 23:21
Moved to Accessories forum.

mdrag

FisHn2DMax
02-11-2003, 02:13
MNR,
This is going to sound like a commercial for Warranty Gold, but it's true.

My wifes Ford 4x4 Expedition was just coming out of factory warranty in September. I thought she would want to sell it and get an 03 Yukon, but she loved the darn thing! Since she wanted to keep it for another year, I decided to look into an extended warranty; it was now October.

I checked into many warranty plans including Fords ESP. Because she was just out of the factory warranty, Ford wouldn't touch it. Warranty Gold offered the best coverage and the best price so I bought a 75K, 5 year, No deductable platinum plan for around $1000 in October 02.

In December 02, she lost the Heater/AC control computer board ($340) and Warranty gold replaced it at no cost, no hassle and the small Ford Service dealer was very impressed with the fast payment and approval system. All we paid for was the local state tax.

Three weeks ago, I noticed a small oil spots in the garage. I looked under the Expedition and sure enough it had a small oil drip originating from the left rocker arm cover area. I also noted a very loud popping sound when turning corners so we took it to another large Ford Dealer. The Ford Service writer called me back with an Estimate of $2700.00 in needed repairs. The head gasket (left) had failed and the upper Ball joints were so bad the Steering stablizer bolt had broken ( the popping noise). The rear axle seal was leaking and soaking the rear brakes just to name the major problems found. Damned Fo$d POS!

Warranty Gold paid for most of the repairs. The only thing they didn't pay for was the replacement Fluids and Taxes. The Rear diff Synthetic fluid cost was a killer, but overall Warranty Gold came through. They even paid for a rental car and alignment of the Front end when the ball joints were replaced. The Ford dealer Service department I took this to had never dealt with Warranty Gold before. When we picked up the Expedition last week, the service manager told me that in his opinion Warranty Gold was not only the best Warranty company he had ever dealt with But IHHO, it was better than Fords extended warranty plan since they would have never paid for a front end alignment and the diagnostic time that Warranty Gold paid for.

So far, my experience with Warranty Gold has been nothing but positive! So far it has saved us $2800.00 in out of pocket unexpected repair expense, in just four months.

Granted if you have a GM product, you probably won't have as much need for an Extended Warranty. If you have a Fo$d POS, you'd better have Warranty Gold or be made of Gold LoL...

Good Luck...

;) smile.gif

JEBar
02-11-2003, 04:57
I'm still 4,000 miles from having to use Waranty Gold for a repair so I have no personal experience. Can say that prior to purchasing the plan I talked with the service manager at my dealer ship and he spoke very highly of them ... Jim

gardnerteam
02-11-2003, 08:58
Prior to going over 36,000 miles in my first year with a 2002 D/A, I purchased a Warranty Gold 150,000 mile 0 deductible warranty. I started a thread about extended warranties on TDP and all of the comments about Warranty Gold were great. My service writer and dealership both have had great results with it, and I know several people locally who have used it several times, and they highly recommend it. I have not had to use it, but baised on all reports, it will be no problem either at the dealer, my local diesel shop, or Allison franchise.

sonofagun
02-11-2003, 16:33
MNR,

I have used Warranty Gold for years. They are located not far from me (in Austin) I've visited them a couple of times over the years. They pay by credit card directly to the dealer. You get the dealer to call them for pre approval (gotta do this) and once oked you charge on. I have had several cars/trucks fixed under their coverage and have never had a problem. DO NOT accept the first price they quote you. Their salesmen get a cut and you WILL get a better price if you dicker.

Go for it and good luck,
Bob