PDA

View Full Version : LINE-X or RHINO

whatintarnation
04-05-2005, 09:10
Anyone have any opinions on LINE-X or RHINO spray on bed liners? And over or under rail, what are the pros and cons? Right now I don't want to put a hard tonneau cover on, but may one day, would the over rail protection prevent me from putting one on?

Thanks in advance.
tongue.gif

DmaxMaverick
04-05-2005, 09:59
I've pondered the same question for some time, and may actually get around to having mine done.

Both are quality products. Rhino is a "softer" liner, so that may have something to do with your decision. Both have similar warranties, with one very large difference. The Linex is nationwide, and Rhino is installing dealer only. That means if you have a problem and need a repair, Linex will service you at any Linex dealer, and Rhino will require you to have it done at your original installer. I will go with Linex for that reason alone, as I have seen both installed on many different vehicles, and see no advantage, functionally, with either.

Can't help you with the cover issue.

Idle_Chatter
04-05-2005, 17:07
I've had Line-X in my truck since day one. I can't speak for Rhino, but I've been very happy with my Line-X. I had my original Line-X shot "under rail" but had the rails shot about a year and a half later before installing my Slide Systems rails and toolbox. The over rail treatment shouldn't impair you putting on any accessories, as a matter of fact, it seemed to strenghten and support my rails and made the thin sheetmetal much more supported for any loads that might occur.

MIKE WIENER
04-05-2005, 17:53
I also have had Line-x from day one. I optied to drive the truck there my self and save hundred plus dollers over the dealer.

I chose Line-x over Rino for two resons the hardnes and the texter. The Line-x was smaler and more even thruout the bed.

don't know about over the rails the 3500 DRW comes with bed caps to cover the seem of the fenders to the bed.

MIKE

XTOCAK
04-05-2005, 21:16
I've got Rhino and have it in all the company trucks. The stuff wears very well and has done the job for us...but then we're in Alaska where we don't get the 90 - 100 temps in the summer so the lining doesn't get as rubbery as it would down south. Very good stuff and best of all the installer is top notch with great customer service. That is how I would gage the liner...the fella with the best customer service who does a quality job and then stands behind his work.

Bill Moncrief
04-06-2005, 04:12
HELLO;
I have the Rhino in mine and like it very much beat the rubber mat any day. I didn't get the over the rail and wish I had but thought of it as they were pulling truck out of booth, they told me sure will do it but were going to have to charge you for remasking truck dam nere doubled price. Told'em to keep it. I was putting a cap on and didn't think I would need it bur if you think about it it kind of makes another gasket inbetween the bed and what ever your putting on. As a side note I found some stuff in Cabelas that the sell to seal your tailgate to exhaust makes great topper tape. Acording to manufacturers web site their coming out with a topper tape but it will be available to dealers in 100' rolls. The stuff Cabelas sells comes in 10' rolls 3 do a cap real nice with a little left over.
TOWERJAKE

whatintarnation
04-06-2005, 06:12
Thanks everyone, this was a big help. tongue.gif

SHOPMAN426
04-06-2005, 15:39
I have seen both brands in action. It will depend on what you are looking for. The Rhino is softer, items in your truck bed will stay put. On the other hand, Line-x is very hard. Items in you truck bed will slide around alot. Also the Line-x is very porous, it will stain. ie. gas, oil. The Rhino seems to resist staining better. It is true that if you need any repairs made you will need to go back to the place you got it. Some people think it's to soft and you could cut right though it, thats ok, they will repair it for free for life. I haven't had my truck sprayed yet, but it will be a Rhino when I do.

Shopman426,
Mike. smile.gif smile.gif smile.gif

TRPSHOOT
04-06-2005, 16:20
I have a Rhino lining and love it. It is not only over the rails, but down the side about 4 inches to the factory crease. I did this because that four inches of paint from the rail down is where your "buddies" rest their wrist watch bands, magnet band, etc. Also when your "buddies" are throwing something in your bed, they seem to miss the top of the rail by two inches consistantly.

DmaxMaverick
04-06-2005, 19:37
Originally posted by TRPSHOOT:
....your "buddies" rest their wrist watch bands, magnet band, etc. Also when your "buddies" are throwing something in your bed, they seem to miss the top of the rail by two inches consistantly. My "buddies" don't do that. Maybe you need new "buddies".

David Utz
04-07-2005, 03:21
Both are good products when properly installed. It's a choice between thick and soft or thin and hard. What is more important is that you find a competent installer. Good or bad installations are determined more by the prep work than the guy doing the spraying. If you just purchased your "dream truck", don't watch what they do to it to prep for spraying. :eek: :eek: :eek: This surface prep is what assures a coating that won't chip or peal off.

Nix
04-07-2005, 19:03
Line-X was derived from a military bomb-proofing compound. My truck used to be used for installing garage doors, and believe me when you're making piece rate the bed takes a beating. I've only had 3 little chips on the tailgate, and if you could see the way I've thrown angle iron and other sharp heavy metal type objects into my truck you would be surprised how well the stuff holds up. As far as staining goes, dishsoap, warm water, a scrub brush and a little elbow grease goes a long way. I've had lots of grease(don't grease the rollers in your garage door, I don't care what kind you use you are still going to ruin your rollers)kerosene, gasoline spilled in the bed and after I wash it it still shines. A friend has the Rhino lining and has it touched up on a monthly basis because it comes off in chunks when sliding out sheet metal etc. Both are good, but Line-X is definitely more durable. Rhino is cheaper, and is better if you are concerned with stuff sliding around the bed, but that's what bungee cords are for. ;)

TRPSHOOT
04-07-2005, 19:48
DmaxMaverick

It's not like it is intentional, but when you load gravel and steel scrap, stuff happens sometimes. I think I will keep my buddies, but thanks for your concern. smile.gif

whatintarnation
04-08-2005, 09:05
Well, I got the Line-X, on the top of the rail, but not over. It looks great and has kept the beauty of the truck when viewing from the side, but protected too. I paid $430 (375+55), dealer was great. You're right, it was horrible to see what they did to my baby prior to the spray!

Now it's on to the nerf bars....

Thanks again everyone!

LanduytG
04-10-2005, 05:26
I just got the LineX put in Friday. I have had Rhino and so far I like the LineX better.

Greg

redaman
04-13-2005, 20:52
For those readers in the Ontario, Ca area and looking for a Rhino Lining dealer... STAY AWAY from Rancho Motorsports!!!

I won't go into details but their customer service and workmanship suck to say the least.

So if only 1 fellow TDP member follows this advice it will be a wonderful day.

VWLURE
04-17-2005, 09:32
I LINE-X MY BED AND THE BOTTOM HALF OF THE TRUCK FROM THE INDENTAION ABOVE THE TRIM MOLDING. I LOVE IT AND WOULD DO AGAIN IN A HEART BEAT!! NO MORE ROCK CHIPS.

NutNbutGMC
04-17-2005, 17:20
Line-X...

None beDDer...

lvrver44
05-03-2005, 09:11
Line-X and I love it so far. I drove 125 miles to St. George, UT because the guy there came so highly recommended (only $350 too), cuz I also heard that the prep is so important.

I also went with the oem rail caps. I think it's a nice combo.

Tractorhauler
05-08-2005, 19:38
I like Line x so much that I also put it in my 17 cubic foot lawn trailer and it has worked perfect for over 3 years.
Like it in my truck also which gets very heavy use from farm implements, shovels, heavy weights.

Kennedy
05-10-2005, 08:21
I prefer the harder Lin-X type myself. The Rhino softer material has it's advantages, but every one that I've seen has chalked really bad from UV.

tmorris
05-19-2005, 18:03
I installed Tuff liner. Softer than line-x and IMHO better than Rhino.

Truck was side swiped and had to have LR panel replaced and they just re-sprayed right over previous layer...couln't tell it was done if you had to.

I have a Pewter truck w/ grey liner...no noticeable chalking.

Terry

ViperSmitty
06-06-2005, 15:32
My brother had line-x sprayed in his Duramax and we checked into both line-x and Rhino. The Line-x was rated better from all vehicle accessory businesses we stopped at. Line-x also goes on hot, so the adhesion is said to be better. From trucks that I have seen, the Line-x is smoother looking and seems harder as others have said. To each his own, but I would vote Line-x.
smile.gif