PDA

View Full Version : Loose connection. Still more codes today.

Randee of the Redwoods
11-26-2005, 19:03
While riding home from work, the motor went wierd.
The engine missed a couple times, the gauges jumped along with the miss(speedo and tach), then the check engine light came on and the engine "relaxed" emitting the louder version of diesel rattle. I had this problem before but for the life of me can't remember what I did.
A few more misses but the truck got me home albeit a bit slugishly. Boost and egt and other vitals were fine(as far as factory gauges go), but the truck ran like a gasser on heavily retarded timing. I just didn't have the oomph. I pulled into the driveway and check things underhood, but everything seemed fine. I restarted the truck. For the first 3 seconds it was "relaxed" rattle, then the check engine light went off and the motor went into "normal" rattle. It missed once, but other than that, was fine. I ran for codes and got plenty this time. 18,29,35,46,49,54 Again. Fuel codes(18) and glow relay circuit(29) again, but this time an actual ECM code(54-PCM fuel circuit problem). The other two codes are for non -responding idiot lights(46,49) left over from the other day. Don't know why they won't clear.
So, I am now convinced my problems are fuel related somehow. But how? Could this be the demise of the fuel pump? I checked to make sure it was running when I pulled into the driveway, but other than that, I can't say without hooking up a gauge to it. This could possibly explain the 18 code(fuel temp sensor/cam reference problem). Then there is the PCM code (54). Could my PCM be going bad? It did get banged around a bit while R&Ring the blower fan motor. I had to pull the PCM out to gain access to the antenna lead and some other stuff. Maybe I messed it up. But what of the 35 code(ign pulse width fault). That one stumps me. Could this be an early sign of pump driver failure? Anyone?
For the cost effictiveness, it may go to a dealer for troubleshooting, but with the motor running fine, I don't know if they'll find anything.

[ 11-28-2005, 12:21 PM: Message edited by: Randee of the Redwoods ]

gmenor
11-27-2005, 05:01
Had the same problem minus the blown fuse. Turn out to be a bad alternator. Still have that GM-8 Turbo if you want it.

Randee of the Redwoods
11-27-2005, 15:22
Already have a GM8 turbo. I thought I mentioned that. I guess not. Sorry.
Bad alternator? Don't tell me that. This is already like the third. Yea, it's from Advance, but it's been fine except for the incorrectly clocked case. I guess I'll try another one. Need to take the truck to work tomorrow so I hope it will last for one more trip.