PDA

View Full Version : What states require mud flaps?

Quack_Addict
04-26-2005, 12:01
I'm looking for a list of states that require mud flaps on a stock vehicle... but have been largely unsuccessful in my internet searches. Can you guys help me out?

DmaxMaverick
04-26-2005, 12:47
CA requires mud flaps under certain circumstances, but it doesn't apply to most stock vehicles. The California Vehicle Code reads as follows:

"27600. No person shall operate any motor vehicle having three or more wheels, any trailer, or semitrailer unless equipped with fenders, covers, or devices, including flaps or splash aprons, or unless the body of the vehicle or attachments thereto afford adequate protection to effectively minimize the spray or splash of water or mud to the rear of the vehicle and all such equipment or such body or attachments thereto shall be at least as wide as the tire tread. This section does not apply to those vehicles exempt from registration, trailers and semitrailers having an unladen weight of under 1,500 pounds, or any vehicles manufactured and first registered prior to January 1, 1971, having an unladen weight of under 1,500 pounds."

Vaguely specific, huh?

I would suspect many states have the same or similar requirements.

trbankii
04-27-2005, 08:13
Interestingly, Pennsylvania requires them if the truck came with them from the factory... :confused:

So you have two identical 3/4 ton trucks from two manufacturers. One came with mudflaps so it needs them and the other didn't come with them so it doesn't need them?!?!

Jim Brzozowski
05-16-2005, 08:34
Texas, if it has duel wheels, it requires mud flaps. If its lifted above stock height with single wheels and you really upset the patrolman, they will ticket you for that too, but thats very rare. Texas troopers are so cool and curtious they almost make it a pleasure for you to sign those tickets.

a5150nut
05-16-2005, 15:29
Texas troopers are so cool and curtious they almost make it a pleasure for you to sign those tickets.
Boy! I sure am glad I had my boots on when I read that one.................

JD Diesel
05-16-2005, 16:20
Almost fell out of my chair on that response. LOL :D

Brandon
05-21-2005, 14:30
Federal Law is that if it is a ONE TON and up and also if the height of the vehicle has been altered. Some states require them to be 8 inches from the ground and some only require them to be with in 14 inches from the ground. They must be atleast as wide as the tires they are covering.