PDA

View Full Version : Lumber/ladder rack suggestions

crew84
05-11-2005, 20:44
I am looking for a Lumber rack for my D/A CCSB. I want one that mounts on the bed rails, not the pockets. Also I want an overcab type. I am looking for a reasonable priced one. This is for my personal use.

jbplock
05-12-2005, 07:31
I don't have any direct experience with adding a rack to the bed rails but I seem to remember some reports of problems with the strength of rails.

Found the following TSB.
--------------------------------

"Body - Pickup Box Sheet Metal Fracture/Damage

Bulletin No.: 01-08-66-014A, Date: August, 2002

Subject: Pickup Box Sheet Metal Fracture/Damage with Aftermarket Accessories Installed (Repair Pickup Box Fracture/Damage and Install Pickup Box Reinforcements)

Models:
1999-2003 Chevrolet Silverado (New Body Style)
1999-2003 GMC Sierra (New Body Style)
with Steel Fleetside Pickup Box (RPO E63)
Except Dual Rear Wheel (RPO R05), Stepside (RPO E62) and Inner Composite
(RPO E37) Pickup Boxes

Condition: Some customers may comment about pickup box sheet metal fractures/damage when using aftermarket accessories such as tool boxes, window barrier and ladder racks."

The bulletin shows illustrations of typical types of fractures/damage that may occur. It also descibes how to repair & weld the crack and/or install a Reinforcement kit.

"Important: The reinforcements must be installed before adding a toolbox or ladder rack system. After the reinforcements have been installed, follow the instructions supplied with the toolbox/ladder rack system for installation onto the pickup box.

Maximum Equipment Weight Capacities (Equipment and Cargo)

^ Ladder Rack and Cargo - 364 kg (800 lb)

^ Cross Toolbox and Cargo - 182 kg (400 lb)

^ Side Tool boxes and Cargo - 159 kg (350 lb) (per side)

Parts Information

^ P/N 15068208 contains the reinforcements necessary to install ladder rack systems and/or side-mounted toolboxes.

^ P/N 15068209 contains the reinforcements for cross toolbox and/or rear window barrier applications only."

smile.gif

Nix
05-12-2005, 21:44
Yikes! I used to use my truck to hang garage doors and have had over 1000 lbs on the rack at times besides the weight of the rack and fiberglass cap. I do have very slightly depressed sheet metal on the passenger side rear bed rail, and a crack in the paint on the same corner just below the top of the rail. I guess I'm lucky that I used an aluminum rack, and in retrospect I'm really glad that the aluminum cracked instead of the sheetmetal of the bed. It sure would be nice if GM put this info in the dang sales brochure...... :rolleyes:

crew84
05-13-2005, 16:22
I just read the same bulletin. They also stated:
Built prior to the following VIN breakpoints:

Plant VIN Breakpoint
Fort Wayne, IN 3Z115302
Flint, MI 3F102974
Pontiac, MI 3E115871
Oshawa, ONT 31108937

Does that mean that they corrected the weakness?
I guess this is a question for MadMatt. He seems to have the heads up on TSB.

madmatt
05-13-2005, 17:50
Yeah thats what it's supposed to mean, but in other cases I've found it's not always the case. I'd brace it up if at all possible just to be safe. according to the bulletin these are warr. repairs, but i do have the P/Ns for thses braces if you'd like. also the bulletin has been updated to include 04-05 1500 C/c w/ 5'8" beds.