PDA

View Full Version : Won't idle

HANK1948
11-29-2005, 03:28
I have just finished installing and preparing a freshly rebuilt motor in a 95 Suburban. Upon it's first starts it fired right up but would surge, stumble, and stall within seconds. After a few attempts hoping it would clean out and hold an idle I decided to use the throttle to help it hold an idle but as soon as I let off the pedal it stalls. As I am holding the rpms up (1200) it is just plumming white smoke reaking of diesel fuel the whole time. I replaced the timing chain with a phazer gear drive and I set up the IP with the identical timing as it was at disassembly (which ran great). Is the timing of the IP just way off or is there a chance that I could have the cam off 1 tooth with the crank and it would still start?

rjschoolcraft
11-29-2005, 03:55
The gear drive is timed about 2* advanced compared to the chain and sprocket. I'd try bumping the timeing back and see if that helps.

HANK1948
11-29-2005, 07:55
When looking at the front of the motor; does that mean turning the IP counter-clockwise?

rjschoolcraft
11-29-2005, 08:56
Yes, to the passenger side...

HANK1948
11-30-2005, 07:58
I thought that even if you move the IP that the CPU still has to "learn" were it actually is, so untill you do that it doesnt know that you moved it, or Iam wrong in saying this?

charliepeterson
11-30-2005, 19:01
Yes, you need to tell the ECM what the new timing is. Just moving the injection pump won't work. All the extra smoke and not idleing does sound like a timing issue.

HANK1948
12-01-2005, 05:26
Would it still run with the crank to cam gear being 1 tooth off. As I stated it will not idle unless I hold it with pedal input only. I believe this as a possibility because upon rework of the front of the engine the gears were removed and reassembled without repositioning the marks and simply reinstalling in the same position as removed so I could imagine the possibility of this.

HANK1948
12-03-2005, 05:41
Well I tore the timin' cover off to verify I slapped the gears on correctly and it is dead-on. Usually that's good news but I was hopin' it was off because that would of been the resolution to the issue. Now I must reassemble and find the real issue. Does anybody have any suggestions on what to look at? I am at my ends with ideas. :mad:

Warren96
12-03-2005, 13:23
How about plug in the block heater for a couple of hours and then see if it still smokes as much.