PDA

View Full Version : Towing mirrors for 102" trailers

Vette Racer
04-17-2002, 20:30
Hi All
First of all, let me say that this is the most interesting and informative forum that I've ever seen if you drive a new GM Diesel. Thanks JK for the headlight kit. It really works!
I have posted a few times before and have been watching the posts on after market mirrors but it appears that no one makes a replacement mirror for our trucks that will see down the side of a 102" widebody trailer. Does anyone know of one that will?? I plan on pulling a 40ft widebody and need a mirror that will work.

What do you think?

bearman
04-17-2002, 21:11
If you can find a set I want them to.
Cheers
Bear :D :D

Maverick
04-18-2002, 09:08
The west coast mirrors seem to be the only option to get out that wide. I you find something different, let us know.

JLee
04-18-2002, 12:35
I've never tried em, but several folks on an RV forum are pretty pleased with their McKesh mirrors. http://www.nosway.com/mckeshmirrors.html
They are strap-ons, but apparently work much better than most strap-ons and are very stable. I just can't convince myself to go with strap-ons.
You could try a search on www.irv2.com forum.

Jim

LPGTRUCKER
04-22-2002, 17:54
Have to put my 2 cents worthin on this one.Firstly I just found out GM has changed the pullout camper mirrors , you now get a convex to match the drivers side. Now I'm choked didn't get that on my 2002. Secondly I came across a fellow locally that felt his oem camper mirrors didn't go out far enough to allow him to see down the side of his trailer.He has come up with a way to change the slide-out tubes and has increased his stock mirror slide-out capability by three inches.Hell of an idea! He didn't say how he did it but would change mine over for a mere hundred bucks. Cheap compared to replacement mirrors. By the way GM says only way to change rhs mirror is to buy new one $293 cdn.

MaxACL
04-23-2002, 10:29
The Chevy dealer here in NJ is ordering me a set of the GM pull out mirrors for (?)$175 for a set. The fat lady sings when they come in.

Mike ;)

AlaskaDmax
04-23-2002, 10:54
I can't bring myself to spend the $$ on new mirrors, but at the same time I had a strap-on mirror come loose and fly off...shattered into a million peices all over the highway.

I can't bring myself to trust those anymore...

White Knight
04-23-2002, 13:49
I bought a set of the strap on mirrors referenced at http://www.nosway.com/mckeshmirrors.html I just returned from a 2500 mile tow and am very pleased with the mirrors. If you get a set, also get the optional convex mirrors. They eliminate any potential blind spots at the side of the truck or towed vehicle. I used the mirrors that slip over the OEM mirrors on my 1995 GMC. They were OK, but no comparison to the McKesh. I get a good view of the full sides of my 28 foot travel trailer.