PDA

View Full Version : on-star antenna

pitboss
04-18-2002, 23:18
The factory job is way ugly. Anybody know if it can be moved (say back centre), and perhaps replaced with a decent cell antenna in the process instead of the factory stubby?

GBurton
04-19-2002, 09:35
pitboss

Yes you can install a different antenna but is it worth the effort? The built-in cell phone only uses the one that you are concerned about; it is NOT the GPS antenna. The GPS antenna is in the small black box that is located above the inside mirror. I feel that the existing cell antenna works a bit better that you think. Here are some things to think about.

Here is what needs to be done:

1) Drop the driver’s side of the headliner so you can get to the cable that goes to the existing antenna. Cut that cable near the existing antenna and install a coax connector on the end of the old cable. I suggest that you use a female type TNC connector because of the small size.

2) Install the new antenna in whatever location you desire, center of the roof is a good location. You will need to install a male TNC on the end of that cable. Connect it to the female TNC connector that you added in step 1 (above).

3) Remove the factory antenna and plug the existing hole. This is where you will have to decide if it is worth the trouble. How much will it cost to fill in the hole and get it to match the paint?

Do you have the necessary tools and experience to properly install the new connectors and the antenna or will you have to pay someone to install them for you? My estimate of time is about 2 hours. The shop rate depends on where you live but figure $50/hour plus. Add to that the cost of the antenna and connectors. No Radio Shack connectors please, you are working on a radio (cell phone) system that operates near 900 MHz and you must use good quality connectors.

I have the tools, experience and knowledge to do all of the work except for repairing the hole in the roof. I would not even thing about changing the antenna.

George