PDA

View Full Version : Any good uses for OnStar?

Speedy
04-22-2002, 21:00
Curious if anyone out there has found a good use for OnStar, to justify renewing. They had a free 30 minutes for their cell phone, which was pretty neat. Not as good a quality as my handheld, but the features of voice dialing were neat. In order to get extra minutes purchased I would have to renew, and having trouble justifying the couple hundred bucks.

I would prefer to connect the GPS to a Garmin type map display, than the theft deterent and door unlock feature.

Curious how other felt about this feature

Diesel Dave
04-22-2002, 22:02
Just got my renewal for OnStar, Sorry but I won't be paying the $200.+ for it either. I can't justify the cost when you can get roadside emergency coverage from AAA for a lot less. And as far as the cellphone service, no big deal most everyone has a cell with better rates than OnStar.
Sorry OnStar if your rates for service were reasonable I would consider renewing.

Just my thoughts :mad: Diesel Dave

James S
04-23-2002, 12:53
Hi There,

This might be a stupid question. Does the ONSTAR system, have a feature that will track your vehicle if it is ever stolen? That would be the only reason, I might consider getting it. If I am way out to lunch, maybe someone can explain exactly what ONSTAR does. Thanks.

James

SoCalDMAX
04-23-2002, 19:41
Hi Guys,

Ssmokybear was telling me that Onstar has a concierge service, you can ask for local restaurant recommendations/reservations, concert tix, movie tix, etc. Sounded kinda cool to be cruising down the road and have someone read off movie reviews to you and have your tix waiting at the window after they give you driving directions to the theater.

I've heard they can track the vehicle, don't know if they planned on doing like LoJack.

Regards, Steve

SDWA
04-23-2002, 23:16
If they could track it, my guess is that it would only be useful up to the point where the thief removed the roof antenna, then entered the vehicle and cut the wire to the GPS antenna.

Scott

[ 05-21-2002: Message edited by: SDWA ]</p>

AlaskaDmax
04-23-2002, 23:55
Yes, to all of you.
Concierge (sp?)
Stolen Vehicle Tracking
Cell phone service
Remote diagnostics
Remote vehicle unlock
Roadside service
Emergency service (best one!!!! if your airbags deploy they call you and you don't answer, they immediately send rescue to your location)

There are more...check out onstar.com

RichBailey
04-24-2002, 08:35
I do not like the big brother features of this system and have asked onstar to cancel the free subscription setup by my selling dealer. They can't understand why anyone would not like being tracked everywhere they go. The supposed benefits are of little interest to me.

However, I would like to access the gps output to drive a moving map. Has anyone done this?

Redhawk
04-24-2002, 11:55
Had a situation on a cross country trip, where I was in easy range of a cell tower, but the provider would not handshake with Cellular One. I had lost a wheel on my fiver, and was really needing road service. I spent four hours by the side of the road after I finally got them to call AAA. AAA wouldn't come unless they could contact me later to verify the problem. Naturally they couldn't contact us.

Finally I used Onstar and was able to get out, and knowing our situation, they stood by on the phone until we could finally get some*%#*@ to come out and help us. After we did get someone they signed off and then checked back later to see if we were ok. Try that one on your cell provider sometime.

Don't ask me what I think about AAA or Cellular One. When I got back home and complained to the provider, they asked "why do you continue to use us if you are so unhappy". Some attitude, huh?

GBurton
04-24-2002, 12:38
Redhawk

Been there, done that with Cellular One in Ukiah. When I tried to talk with "customer diservice" I ran into the same attitude that you did. I went back to Verizon. I know, their coverage is not that good in Mendocino County but in other areas is seems to be much better that Cellular One.

Speedy & RichBailey
Concerning the comment about using the output of the GPS system to drive a map display. The GPS system in the OnStar uses the Trimble data format. All of the systems that I am aware of for map programs that laptop computers require a NEMA data string. I don't know of a method of converting from one to the other.

George

AlaskaDmax
04-24-2002, 13:18
I can dig the paranoia thing, I don't trust anyone.

BUT!!!!, if you are not doing anything wrong or illegal then what have you to worry about. I can't possibly imagine having an accident or breaking down somewhere and looking at the wife and kids and saying "I know, I know, but they haven't been able to track me where ever I go."

There is a line, and I am willing to allow the line to move slightly to the left for the safety of my family.

I am not a criminal, so I could care less if onstar knows that I am parked off of highway 1 fishing for salmon.
You always have the extra ability for help if you need it.

Redhawk
04-24-2002, 21:42
GBurton, I'm waiting for my year to be up and then I will change my cell provider. I have good theoretical coverage with Cellular One, but what good is it if it doesn't work when you need it? OnStar might be a little pricey, but I can't fault the service.
Ernie

raygreg
04-24-2002, 23:05
my untested theory is:
not renewing for the $200. If in the event of a breakdown, why can't I just push the onstar button and renew? and then request assistance.

Silver Bullet
04-25-2002, 13:46
Lost and can't find the bar...call Onstar and they will walk you in!!!

mackin
04-27-2002, 16:52
ONSTAR,
I did use mine once, locked my keys in the truck .... Simply called them 5 min or less I was back in......In addition, maybe not in your area, but out east they are banning hand held cell phone usage while driving.......So to keep the cab nice and clean, min clutter it works for me for now.......For $200 bucks a year if you crash so that an air bag deploys they send help......What I can tell you that if you are driving through the desert in NEVADA, and ever seen a roll over which happens just about every 5 MIN.....They sit there and suffer bleeding in the media without a global link it takes along time to find you.....Ask them guys that drive out there what I mean like 01_Duramax_Dually the road condition ......No exit ramps, no mile markers nothing to go by..I seen an accident last year when I was on my way back from Vegas to Calif. where I was on Vacation. This GEO tracker barrel rolled littered the highway with people and personal belongings....We drove for a half hour before we seen EMT'S heading their way........They probably had no idea what their exact location was till maybe a local stopped and assisted the call for help......So those who travel strange areas or live in rural areas it's a must I think.......For safety......$200 bucks is a small price to pay if this happens......It's a long way to BARSTOW........
MAC

[ 04-27-2002: Message edited by: mackin ]</p>

Mike Colville
05-08-2002, 14:21
As a side note...I hear the airbag feature works with or without the subscription...otherwise they open themselves up for lawsuits and such...

johns
05-16-2002, 18:09
If your socks get wet, you can tie them on that little antenna to dry. That's the only use I can see!

SledZep
05-18-2002, 16:39
Does Onstar have a contract with all providers? They certainly aren't using a sat link... so you could still be left without. I do love the hands free feature and the fact that it shuts down the stereo....
As for being tracked. GM and Ford, that I know of already have cellphones in some of their vehicles (without customer knowledge) just to track how people drive and I believe to see what happens just before/in an accident. Sort of like a black box. I do not think they have them in every model but I know both manufacturers are/were doing it.
Besides, if they really want to know where you are they do or can find out. Unless you have been taking counter measures for years.

Nels
05-18-2002, 18:32
^-- I heard that they used one of the above mentioned black boxes to investigate a 4x4 accident in the deep south. The final recording was:

"Here Bubba, Hold my beer and watch this!"

:D :D :D :D :D

pinehill
05-18-2002, 21:04
....and in the upper Midwest, the recording was, "Yah, Sven, yust hold my cheese an' vatch dis!"

SledZep
05-19-2002, 05:42
Here in the East it's...
No, I can do this and hold my beer.....

SledZep
05-19-2002, 05:48
Of course, where I am originally from in NY...
A, youse guys, watch what Ahm goona do to dis ting wit dat ting, Badabing Badaboom an its done, anIcan even hold my beer! Johnny, u keep an Eye fuducops you know what I mean.

Nels
05-19-2002, 06:10
Ok, I apologize to the moderator for creating a monster -----

As to the Onstar, I really like the feature. I know the big brother argument, but they know where I am anyway and I've got nothing to hide. Every time I fire up this internet connection somebody knows what I'm looking at, if they have a reason to look. As I said, nothing to hide.

Prior to buying this truck, I was still one of the neandrethals who never upgraded to a cell phone. I am also a very outspoken (imagine that
-- me outspoken!) opponent of cell phone use in a vehicle. I see too many folks driving around with these things growing out of their ears. My hobby takes me all over a 5 state area going to shows and events. With this system of voice activated dialing I can drop a quick word to the wife without taking my mind off the road. I used the feature just yesterday on the way home from a plowing competition (I won!). She had supper on the table just in time for my arrival. Short informational calls are all I use it for though. At 66 cents per minute and $200 per year, these features could come much cheaper.

malcolmc
05-23-2002, 11:27
had occation to use mine ONCE (locked keys inside), but since I was out of cellular coverage range they couldn't do squat, so they called out the nearest service rep who came with a big box of gadgets for breaking in but had no idea how to use them. after a few hours of farting around I managed to pop a rear window open so we could access a door unlock. But by then, the service rep had already managed to screw up some of the wiring in the passenger door - had to go to my local dealer to get it fixed.

as for rollovers (mentioned above), if the little roof antenna gets wiped out, it seems to me Onstar is off line ...

so, is it really worth having ???

KompressorMan
05-26-2002, 05:42
Now that they've reduced the price to about $300 a year on the Concierge service I might try it. My renewal is up in July and so far I haven't used it once. BUT, two weeks ago we went to Destin, Fl. and twice (my wife had the map) we made unneccessay detours *&^#@&%m, get the idea.

Now for the chiller, three weeks ago in my hometown, a man was missing one morning. His daughter knew the appointments he had were very important and something had to be wrong. So she called the local sheriff's office for help.
They got a few details, then a deputy asked if his car had OnStar, voila, Sad part, they caught his killers riding around about 80 miles away. They didn't have a clue.

Stoner
03-14-2003, 17:21
For Rich Baily, GBurton, & others interested in using the onboard gps.......check out this website

members.cox.net/onstar/

All you need is some wire, a few connectors, soldering gun, a laptop, and a little software.

Maybe one of our resident electronics wizards can make this work....maybe get the particulars to JK so he can market a "GPS Kit". How about a complete "HD PRO SERIES" "headlight boostin, hi-idle, od-lockout, radar-detectin, black box hidin kit" :eek: :eek:

Glad I don't have Onstar.......just some more ***t I'd have to tinker with!!!

FisHn2DMax
03-14-2003, 18:36
I just received an offer from ON-Star in the mail for Cell service minutes. The cost has come way down from what is was just a few months ago! I picked up another 150 minutes plus 50 bonus for under $40. If On-star continues this trend, it's going to be almost as affordable as a cell phone minutes. I also belive the cost of the On-Star service will continue to come down as more and more people begin to use it.

I totally agree with those whom see ON-Star as an insurance/safety investment! I travel in many rural areas of the West and have come across accidents where my hand cell would not get a good solid signal. ON-Star gets through because it runs 3 watts to the external antenna instead of the 300 milliwatts of a hand set cell phone inside a metal cab. Also due to the on-star GPS, emergency teams will know the exact location of the accident! I know for a fact, people with On-star save precious time for those in need! I fully support On-Star because I know it can and has saved lives!

On-star can also be used to tell you want is wrong if your SES light comes on. I used it when my truck started running really bad and pulled over to the side of the road and called On-Star.
They checked for any codes and ran a complete vehicle diagnostic and told me everything was fine. Sure enough, the truck run fine the rest of the way home?

There are so many other benefits of On-Star besides the safety of it, I can't imagine being on the road with out it!

Just my $.02

FirstDiesel
03-14-2003, 18:44
I have an offer to renew my Onstar subscription but I have no minutes in the system right now. I agree that I like the safety aspect of the unit. What I didn't like about the phone besides the cost was that they were minutes that expired. Have they changed that now?? I would love to have 50 minutes or so in case I needed them but don't want to have to use them up before they expire.

DMAX Daddy
03-14-2003, 18:49
Same same, renewed my minutes under the new deal. I like the availibility of it, epecially in the near future when using cell phones in vehicles will become illegal. My town is thinking about that law right now. About 75% of the accidents that had witnesses said the person who was at fault was on the phone...

DIESEL/VETTE
03-14-2003, 19:17
Another plus is there are no roaming charges and much better coverage than a cell phone, plus when you use hearing aids, cell phones suck. where onstar works perfect with hearing aids. keep up the good work gm.

my .02 cents.

Little_Wiley
03-18-2003, 15:32
Just this last Saturday, was out in the woods working on a deer stand. tongue.gif For whatever reason, took my keys out of my pocket and set them in the top of my toolbox &lt;Not bed type&gt; while I was working. Bout 6PM sketters where starting to pick me up and move me 2 feet at a time towards their dinner table so started packing up quickly. Not thinking picked up my toolbox and put it into back seat and closed the door. When I went to driver door, you guessed it, truck was locked up tight with my keys in the toolbox. :eek: &lt;God us Southerners are so smart&gt; :rolleyes: Called Onstar and after two trys, they unlocked the vehicle. :D If I had not been able to get ONSTAR to unlock the truck, my wife would have had to travel 40 Min's to bring me a set of keys &lt;She would not have been a happy camper either :mad: :mad: &gt; and I would have had ride the ATV back to main road to pick them up from her.

Renewed my onstar two days prior to this.

Tommy turbo
03-23-2003, 19:02
Her is why I will keep my On star working. A very good friend of mine who installed security systems in the five state area called his wife from OK city at noon and said he was finished and coming home. After 5:00 and still not home started calling cell phone and all places she could think of. No sign of him. Worried all nite. Called friends and Father early next am. Started searching. No luck Drove slowly up Interstate looking for Truck in ditches and creeks. Of course called police. No Help. 50 hours later found his truck and him in truck stop parking lot. Slumped over in seat. engine still running doors locked. not good he had had a heart attack and pulled in on his way home (we Assumed)He was not alive. There was probably not anything that would have helped him in time but knowing what his wife went through makes me have no problem paying the pittance for the Service. Yes I know the police have to be involved to search for vehicle but I am sure he would have been found much sooner. In turn less wondering for wife. This is the best reason I can think of. (This is all very true)