PDA

View Full Version : Toneau cover recommendation?

felpa41
03-22-2003, 15:46
I need a good cover to hide (not secure) my cargo.

I want something that does not make noise at speed and protects the bed contents from getting wet (I don't expect it to be totally water proof).

I want something I can put on and take off when needed. I want something that returns the truck bed to stock when everything is (easily) removed (without tools...hopefully). I don't want to drill anything and I do not want to have to take lots of time to put it all on or take it all off. When everything is off, I want nothing left on the bed rails.

I have a large Highway tool box in the front of the bed that does NOT extend above the bed rails and I want to be able to roll the cover back to access it's contents. I do not want to spend over $200 or so.

Any advice?

Jim Cobler
03-22-2003, 16:28
I have a flat fiber glass cover painted to match my truck which mounts inside the bed and requires no holes in the truck. To take it off, one must first remove two C springs from the gas shocks with a flat bladed screw driver and then lift the back up and pull to rear. Comes off in 2-3 minutes. However, once loose it requires to people to handle it. It is not that heavy but too awkward for one.

Good news is I think they look sharp, will lock and are water tight. Bad news is unless you put a gasket around your tail gate, it is not. I have put a gasket on mine and they work.

[ 03-22-2003: Message edited by: Jim Cobler ]</p>

roegs
03-22-2003, 18:28
I really like my Access Cover (its my second one), but I think they are around $350.

www.accesscover.com

Wayne Dohnal
03-22-2003, 19:26
My Fold-a-Cover meets many of your requirements, but not all of them. I'm pleased with it. It cost me over $700 after shipping was added. I looked a lot before purchasing and honestly don't think you'll find anything on the market without relaxing some of your requirements. If you consider going up on the price, you can look at www.foldacover.com. It's similar in principle and price to the Advance Cover, but the mounting system is considerably different.

[ 03-22-2003: Message edited by: Wayne Dohnal ]</p>

felpa41
03-22-2003, 20:06
I have already purchased a hard folding cover as a GM accessory from my dealer. It cost me over $800 installed and when I purchased my tool box, I had to retire it (I wish I could sell it).

What I am looking for is a soft fabric-like cover that I can use just for trips where I have stuff in the cack like large suit cases or coolers.

I want to be able to quickly remove and store the cover and any frame it mounts to so I can again use my tie downs that I have in my "stake holes" in my bed rails.

While the cover is on the truck, I would have to roll it back from the front for at least 30+ inches (0n both sides), in order to access my big tool box. I also want to be able to lower the tail gate with the cover on to access the area behind the tool box, or roll the cover back from the tail gate, whichever is needed in order to access my loose cargo in the truck bed.

Has anyone ever heard of a company called exTang? They make such covers but I am not familiar with anyone who has one.

torkinator
03-22-2003, 23:33
felpa41-How did you like your GM cover? How waterproof is it? I'm looking for a folding cover that doesn't leak, but I'm not sure any such thing exists.

Mad 4 MotoX
03-23-2003, 07:59
I've got the Extang Tuff Tonno III on both my trucks. Very satisfied.

Pro's:
- Easy on and off - if you don't mind crawling in bed to put the 3 bows in after rolling the cover out.
- The Tuff Tonno III doesn't have snaps; there's a groove that runs along the length of rail that the cover connects into. Very clean looking.
- VERY easy initial install...no drilling. It's a rail system that clamps on bed rail..there's a cushion under the rail so it doesn't scratch paint.
- Barely any water gets in, even when i'm blasting with hose washing.

Con's:
- I found that it is weather sensitive: In cold weather (or cool nights)it's a bear to get the cover back on easily. Leave it in sun for a 10 minutes to soften it..then attach.
- There's 2 velcro straps that dangle between bed and cab. These are for securing it when rolled up. At speed these flop around and after time will mark up the paint. Solution: cut 2 small squares of "hook" type velcro material and apply to bed...attach when not being used.

http://www.extang.com/tufftonno3index.html

http://www.truckxpressions.com sells 'em for short bed for around $200.

Not sure this will work with the toolbox's that sit over the rails though.

Hope this helps!

steve700edgex
03-23-2003, 08:40
my access cover works great to keep my work tools out of the elements tailgate still opens with it closed. it easily can be handled by one person. it clamps to the side and doen't interfear with the stake poket holes. then when i need to hook up the fifth, I just roll it back. I believe they make versions for trucks with tool boxes not sure they may have to extend above the rails though

[ 03-23-2003: Message edited by: steve700edgex ]</p>

felpa41
03-23-2003, 09:41
torkinator, I liked the cover very well. I just wanted a 5th wheel type tool box. Once I installed the tool box, I had to remove the cover because I could not access my tool box.

The folding cover never allowed any water into the bed area except a little around the tail gate if it was raining hard. It has four sections. The forward section folds back, exposing the front two feet of bed. The back three sections fold forward (accodian style) and sit on top of the the front section, exposing the 3/4th of the rearmost portion of the bed.

I felt the biggest weakness the cover had was a lack of security. It locks both front and rear. However, all you have to do to get into a locked cover is to press down on the rear kock and disengage the lock from the tail gate. Bam, you're in.

If your interested, you can go to your dealer and see the brochure (I understand the company that makes them is no longer with us and these are no longer abailable).

I would also sent you some pictures or more info if you like. I have the original literature and instalation guide.

[ 03-23-2003: Message edited by: felpa41 ]</p>

sonofagun
03-23-2003, 20:17
felpa,

Take a look at Cabelas.com. They offer several tonneau covers. Get them to send you their truck catelog. It has one that rolls back and might be just what you want. It sells for $299. It has a rail system that clamps on, no holes. It can be accessed from front or rear, and has a tensioning system that keeps the cover tight in all types of weather.

Good luck,
Bob

crafty
03-24-2003, 07:03
I have pics of an Extang cover at the link below. It is the kind with snaps because I was warned not to use the kind that Mad 4 MotoX has up her in the colder climates. I would never get it done up in the winter. I like it very much. The only thing it won't do that you want is undo from the front. You would have to open from the back and then access the tool box. Good luck in your search :D :D :D

TomF
03-24-2003, 07:52
I too have the extang "black max" on my HD CC. Unlike my previous extang, this one has snaps across the front (cab) and tailgate end which may help you get to your box at the front.

I bought it off a webpage that was suggested on the DP site, but it wasn't one of the usual names. I did pay just under $200 if I recall correctly.

Good luck!

MICKD
03-24-2003, 20:08
felpa
I am an upholsterer by trade, before tonneau's came out with the frames we used to drill holes in your truck and make the covers from scratch. Today however, you dont have to drill any holes at all, most frame tonneaus are clamped on. I have used downey products tonneau covers, lexus, sportmasters and tekstyle. I like the Tekstyle tonneaus with the sliding snaps on the frame smile.gif They slide when they weather changes from hot to cold which helps to put the covers on during cold weather. Summittruckstyle.com has them for about $200. I have used Tekstyle on four of my trucks with no complaints. Good luck with which ever you choose :cool:

Capt.maxin
03-24-2003, 21:31
I had a sport masters hinged cover on my old truck and loved it. It had gas charged cylinders that lifted it and held up at a good angle to access bed and to open tool box (similar to 5th wheel style) it attached with clamps so it required no drilling and where it hinged it had two removable pins so you could remove it from truck leaving only small part of frame on truck. It was an all aluminum frame with vinyl cover. I bought it from summit racing equipment for around $300. I have had many different covers in the past and would definitely buy this one again. Kris

DIESEL/VETTE
03-25-2003, 12:02
TEKSTYLE IS THE WAY TO GO. THE ONE ON MY WIFES TRUCK IS 11 YEARS OLD AND IS STILL PERFECT. JUST PUT THE TEKSTYLE ON MY 03 D/A AND IT LOOKS GREAT AND I AM VERY HAPPY. I ALSO USE THE BED RAILS WITH IT THAT GM SELLS.

GMC-2002-Dmax
04-04-2003, 19:46
I just purchased a BERLIN brand full tilt cover.

Very high quality cover and a really good price out of PA from a wholesaler.

Delivered to my door $210.50!!!!! :eek:

I will post some pics when the rain, rain goes away.

GMC

Cardiac
04-08-2003, 23:11
The extang works in hot or cold. The snaps are off center and can be turned 180 for hot or cold. The bows have 2 higth setings, up for hot down for cold. It can be opened from front, back, or the sides, rolled to the front, or taken off.

Mad 4 motox,
When you snap down the front pull your velcro strips backwards in to the box (under the cover, but over the snap rail) and then snap down the top. Works great, no fuss, no mess, no fries, hold the lettuce.

www.extang.com

$200.00