PDA

View Full Version : New GMC/Chevy Mirrors

MaxACL
04-27-2002, 13:26
Just picked up my new mirrors from the Chevy dealer. Ther'e not electric but they do telescope and each has it's own "spot" corner. Looks great for $145.00 for the set.

Mike :D

Viking
04-27-2002, 19:31
Ref your sig MaxACL,until I retired I had four. I usually received from a four holer but the odd time from a three holer.

TXMAX
04-27-2002, 22:22
MAXACL,

Please let us know how the new Chevy mirrors work. The price on them sounds much better then the aftermarket ones we here about. What are you towing?

Thanks,

Abe

MaxACL
04-28-2002, 08:37
Viking:
The KC-10 is mush more stablier and a sight prettier. The KC-135 is good for limited refueling but my jet does so much more. What were you on?

TXMAX: I

Viking
04-28-2002, 17:28
MaxACL, E3A

TXMAX
04-30-2002, 19:07
MAXACL,

Thanks for the input. I'm going to have to do investigating before I plunk down the jing on the aftermarkets. Don't sweat being put out to pasture, they did to me in '98 and you will learn to adjust. My biggest issue is it's been almost 4 yrs and I keep looking for orders. I've never lived any place or done the same job this long. CINC house is quite happy though so life is good.

S/F

Abe

MAXed Out
05-02-2002, 10:57
MaxACL,

Are you talking 2003 year mirrors? If so, how about a picture and part #.

On a side note: You can always join the Reno Air National Guard which fly the KC's.

Thanks!

[ 05-02-2002: Message edited by: MAXed Out ]</p>

bora
05-02-2002, 11:06
Please post a picture and a part number.

Thanks

Bora

Dawg
05-04-2002, 19:14
Yes please. A picture and part numberwould be great.

Rilo
05-05-2002, 06:55
Sorry I don't have a picture, but the part number is 12495931. Hope this helps. Rilo

TXMAX
05-05-2002, 21:06
I went to the Chevy dealer and "scoured" the lot until the wife finally saw a truck with the towing mirrors. They look pretty good, though they are not as tall as the after market or the Ford mirrors. They seem to be longer on the horizontal plane ie they stick out more. I puller them out and they seem to extend far enough. The only negative on the ones I saw was the the convex lens was only on the drivers side mirror. If you are having a hard time seeing them for yourself try looking for them at a dealer that sells the commercial bed style trucks, more of them seem to have them. I did not see any of them with power, now if I take the motor out of my mirrors and put them into the new ones... hmmm Where's the JB Weld?

Abe

MAXed Out
05-06-2002, 15:21
Everyone MUST be talking about the funky 2002 towing mirrors. I'm waiting for the 2003 (Two Thousand Three) electric heated extendable towing mirrors that will hopefully fit the 2001/2002 models.

MaxACL
05-07-2002, 12:17
Hi Guys, Still can't find the keys to the handcuffs so no can do on the pictures yet. Five more weeks and I'll be back in the civil world.

Gotta run before the guards find me.

Mike tongue.gif

JLee
05-07-2002, 13:17
MAXed Out - Do you have information to indicate GM is really going to come out with new mirrors in 2003?

MAXed Out
05-07-2002, 14:31
JLee,

Go here

JLee
05-07-2002, 15:00
MAXed Out - Thanks for the link. They sound great (as usual). As you say - next question is will they fit the older cabs, and, if so, how much will GM "treasure" them! I had pretty well decided to buy some Lucerix mirrors, but I might just see if I can live with my strap-on towing mirrors for a few months and see what develops.

Jim

Redhawk
05-07-2002, 17:06
I've been wanting to buy the Lucerix mirrors, but if the 2003 stock towing mirrors have all the right stuff, I think I'll wait. My problem with the curent towing mirrors is the top to bottom view. I like to be able to see as far down as possible, and failing that I want something that can move electrically so I can see a little lower, expecially when backing my trailer. Sound like GM is listening to our needs.

westies
05-10-2002, 20:25
Info I have received from local dealer is that they definately look as though they will fit. However, they have more functions than the 02 mirrors and you will have a choice. You will need the 03 wire harness or manually wire in for the turn signal indicators and the power extend feature. You then will have to have the 03 driver door control which is different from the 02 due to the added features. He told me they will be pricey and maybe I should save a headache and get the Lucerix. You might also consider the overall glass size is 60 sq inches which is the same size as the standard power mirrors on the present 02. The Lucerix boast 100 sq inches. As I said this is from the local dealer so it may not be 100%.

Dale_S
05-11-2002, 14:26
I have a Mountain Aire 5th wheel thats 102" wide.
Can anyone tell me if you can see down both sides
of a wide body trailer with the Lucerix mirrors?
I have the 2002 camping mirrors and they don't open wide enough.

Tinbender
05-11-2002, 22:03
Dale_S

I have the Lucerix Mirrors and tow a 32' Holiday Rambler (Alumalite) thats 96" wide. The mirrors are just right for this trailer and I can see down the sides of the trailer. I think they would be adequate for 102", but you would not see the sides of the trailer. Be a tough call with the limited mirrors available.

Bob

Buck
05-11-2002, 23:07
I have lucerix mirrors and a wide body trailer. I can see down both sides fine but can't see behind the trailer very good :( . I put 3"x3" blind spot mirrors on the lower outside corners they help a lot smile.gif

johns
05-16-2002, 18:07
Dale_S

I have a 101" wide Kountry Star and Lucerix mirrors. Can't see very well down the passenger side unless I lean over pretty far. The driver side is a little better but I still have to move my head to the left a bit to see down the side. Can't see the rear corners at all without the convex mirrors. However, the factory towing, extendable mirrors weren't any better.

I've heard that Lucerix will be coming out with new models that extend a little further to see better.

Maverick
05-16-2002, 23:34
I pull a 51' Take 3 auto transporter and feel the Lucerix mirrors are marginal. The pass side is hard to see the side of the trailer. Drivers side is alittle better. Can't see squat behind me. I wish they pulled out farther. My trailer is a 102" wide.

JLee
05-17-2002, 14:37
Johns - you are the second person who indicated they had heard Lucerix is going to redesign their X-Mount mirrors. How comfortable do you feel with your source? Anybody else hearing this too? The other post was on an RV site and that individual indicated their CIPA representative told them.

Thanks

JLee
05-23-2002, 10:24
FYI - Since a couple of folks have heard that Lucerix is going to redesign their X-Mount mirrors, I asked Lucerix about it. Their response: "As of April 02 we have revised our curb side operating position to be 38.5 degrees +/- 1.5 degrees. Prior to April our normal operating position was 36.0 degrees." They sent me a PDF diagram. The 38.5 degrees is measured from the perpendicular, with the drivers side mirror being 26 degrees. So the change makes the passenger side mirror angled in closer to the side of the truck than it was before. The diagram indicates (on average) the mirror is now supposed to be 16" from the window to the outermost edge of the mirror on the drivers side and 13.5" on the passenger side. When extended the drivers side is 19.75" and the passenger side is 17". I was a bit surprised that they angled the mirror IN rather than a bit farther out - given that some folks have voiced some disappointment with not being able to see as much as they like on the curb side! I'm not an engineer, so I guess I don't understand the angles :confused:

Jim

westies
05-26-2002, 17:21
I just put the Lucerix on yesterday and from what I read above I must have the new style as the measurements match up and the angle is very noticeable. Did a trial run with the fiver and the passenger side mirror is terrible. Along with the poor view, the vibration and the poor fit on front edge of mirrors, these are probably going back tomorrow. I have the stock GM power mirrors but will probably opt for the GM trailer mirrors, as ugly as they are,until something better comes along. For the price I paid for these Lucerix I can pay the neighbours kid for many years, to come over and help adjust the GM trail mirrors.

JLee
05-29-2002, 12:42
Westies - is your trailer 96" wide or wider? Are you able to see down the side of your trailer on the passenger side? Do you have ANY vision to the rear? I'm still wondering why Lucerix moved the passenger mirror in rather than out slightly. They haven't replied to my question yet.

Thanks

Jim

LPGTRUCKER
06-04-2002, 10:23
Mentioned this in another thread on mirrors. I have stock towing mirrors on my truck and agree that they don't allow for complete view down side of trailer. Had a fellow approach me a while ago who has figured out how to dismantle these mirrors and replace slide tubes with ones that are 3 inches longer.No problem with the extra tube length as the mirror body can handle it. Now as soon as my dealership gets me the new passenger side mirror with the convex built in as on the driverside. Don't know what prompted them to redesign mid year but glad they finally evened out the mirrors. Fellow said he would FIX my mirrors for a hundred bucks. May be a 100 well spent.

DMAX Daddy
06-04-2002, 12:02
Just ordered my '03 without the new mirrors cause you cant order them until July 15th. Fleet rep said I could get them at cost and they plug into the same harness , you just need to change out the switch and the mirrors (I guess the harness is prewired for the in/out function if you get the heated mirrors on the LT). I doubt I get them until I need them, and I hope she was right about the harness.