PDA

View Full Version : Transfer Flow filling

Fathead
03-25-2003, 17:08
I have a Transfer Flow 56 gallon midship replacement tank with a fast fillneck. This tank uses the stock in-tank sending unit. I am able to use the large high speed truck pumps with ease. I must say it's awesome to blast the fuel in so quickly and with no mess, I'm wondering if blasting in fuel at such a high speed could cause any damage to the sending unit or any other parts inside the tank.Could anyone enlighten me? If anyone is interested I found an installer from the Transfer Flow web site. They ordered the tank and charged me the exact price that Transfer Flow had listed on their site i.e. no mark up. Instillation was $260.00.I love this tank,am very impressed with the quality and highly recommend it to anyone who wants to extend their driving range.Thanks in advance for any incite you can give me.
FH. smile.gif

felpa41
03-25-2003, 19:04
I have the exact same thing on order and I am looking forward to getting it and driving long distances between fill ups.

Fathead
03-25-2003, 19:49
felpa41
Your going to love it!
FH. smile.gif

felpa41
04-02-2003, 11:46
I had my tank installed yesterday afternon in Austin (actually Round Rock) at Spillar Custom Hitches.

Works great and I filled it up this AM in Rockdale at 140.9/gal, the best price for on-road diesel I have found lately. It went up to 1.429 after I filled up.

I should be able to go about 750 miles between fill-ups.

Fathead
04-02-2003, 13:22
I also have been enjoying the extended driving range.But I guess nobody can tell me if filling up at full force could cause any damage to the internal tank parts.
FH. smile.gif

bobojay
04-02-2003, 13:56
Why don't you call Transfer Flow? When I talked to them before I bought ours, they we're extremely helpful.............

Fathead
04-02-2003, 14:12
I'll do just that. Thanks
FH.

I called them and they said blast away and enjoy. smile.gif

[ 04-02-2003: Message edited by: Fathead ]</p>

MaxACL
04-02-2003, 14:50
I have the 115 gal tank. Coast-to-coast...wow!

mdrag
04-02-2003, 17:52
Fathead,

I've had the 56 gal TFI tank on my '01 for over 1.5 years, and whenever possible use the large nozzle at the highest setting with no problems.

I installed the tank myself, and I cannot imagine that you could damage the sending unit by filling too fast.

stillracing
04-04-2003, 22:13
Do any of you with big fuel tanks worry about algae build-up with so much fuel onboard.

I would like the 56 gallon tank but I do not drive my truck everyday. When I do drive it I tow about four hundred miles and not many gas stations.

What are your thoughts.

Fathead
04-05-2003, 10:16
I have only had my truck since November and it has been cold weather. I don't know what to expect in the warmer weather as far as algae is concerned. The large fuel tank does, however ,give you the range to be picky in choosing where you purchase your fuel. Easy to pass by low volume stations and stick to the truck stops. I hope this strategy will prevent problems .Either way I haul a 5th. wheel all over the country and want the extended range. I also keep my tank full in the winter to prevent condensation. I wonder if not filling to full capacity in the summer to increase fuel turnover and freshness would be a good idea.
FH. smile.gif

cowboywildbill
04-14-2003, 20:54
Queston for mdrag. How hard was it to install your tank? Did you have a helper to lift it? Or could I use a floor jack and some blocks to help get it up in place? My 56 gallon should be arriving any day. I am asuming it is pretty heavy. Any tips on the install? Thanks any help will be appreciated.

mdrag
04-14-2003, 21:58
Cowboy Wild Bill,

THE TANK is long and heavy....I'd recommend having a helper or two to handle this thing...

I did the install by myself using a service lift - except for an extra pair of hands to place the tank on a pair of horses. I them VERY carefully positioned the tank and lowered the truck into position - adjusting the tank as needed.

You'll need the fuel line quick disconnect tool to remove the fuel lines. I found the tool at Sear's for about $10 - it is sold by Lisle Corp:

www.lislecorp.com/tools/catalog/general/index.html

============================================
37000 AIR CONDITIONING / FUEL LINE DISCONNECT TOOL SET
Easily Disconnects Air Conditioning Lines and Quick Connect Fuel Lines.

Set of six tools which disconnect the spring lock couplings on Ford and Chrysler air conditioning line. Also works on fuel line quick connect couplings found on GM, Ford, and Chrysler. The 5/16" size fits on push lock connectors found on Ford radiators and transmission lines. Easy to use in confined spaces. Set includes six sizes: 5/16", 3/8", 1/2",5/8", 3/4" and 7/8".

37000 Air Conditioning/Fuel Line Disconnect Tool Set. Skin-packed. Shipping wt. 6 oz. Dealer Price $9.95
============================================

The same or similar tool is sold by Snap-On for a few more $$.

TFI provides very thorough step by step installation instructions, and I don't recall any tricks. When you are finished, keep track of how much fuel you add and note when the LOW FUEL light goes off (10-11 gal IIRC) - add the fuel slowly, pause to allow the gauge to stabilize, and write it down.

Then off to your favorite fueling station. Add fuel slowly, and record the # of gal/position of the fuel gauge needle so you'll be able to approximate how much you have in the tank when the gauge reads 1/8, 1/4, 1/2 etc. Allow time for the fuel gauge needle to stabilize while adding fuel. It took me at least 20-25 minutes to fill completely at the station.

I can usually guesstimate within a few gallons. There are a few pics of the TFI tank and install at the first link in my sig. Good luck.

BobW
04-14-2003, 22:22
Wow MDrag, wish I had a shop like that to work in! Thanks for the comparison pics.

tpitt
04-14-2003, 22:34
mdrag,
I had Transferflow install mine as I wanted to watch and learn any tricks. I installed one for a customer of mine and it actually came with the tools for the lines. I discovered this naturally, after I had already purchased the Lisle tools. I took pictures of step by step installation, but unfortunately I am computer illiterate and don't know how to post them.
If I go to the Rendezvous this year I can bring the pictures and my notes and maybe someone can do an article for the yearly book. tpitt

jbplock
04-15-2003, 05:56
Mdrag,

Does your TFI tank re-use the OEM fuel sender assy (along with the QD connections)?

mdrag
04-15-2003, 17:01
jbplock,

The OEM sender and fuel line connections are maintained - no mods necessary, just reconnect everything after the tank is installed.

I don't recall if the TFI instructions specified removing the fuel cooler. I thought it was easier to remove the fuel cooler and have it out of the way, and put it back on after the tank was in place.

I'd recommend the fast fill fillneck option for the 56 gal TFI replacemnt tank - it works as advertised. Some have reported that the fast fill kit for the OEM tank offers marginal improvement.

mdrag

mdrag

cowboywildbill
04-15-2003, 20:04
Thanks mdrag for the reply, I think my tank is due to arrive tommorow. And I will try to put it in this weekend. I will let you know how it goes.

cowboywildbill
04-16-2003, 19:24
mdrag, I picked up the tank today. Some of the bolts and washers were falling out of one of the accessory boxes onto the loading dock where I picked up the tank. I hope everything else is still in there. I am hoping there will be enough room to slide the new tank under the truck without jacking the truck up. I will find out this weekend. I have a high lift Harley jack that I will try to use to lift the tank up into place. I will keep you all posted. "Wild Bill"

cowboywildbill
04-19-2003, 20:41
mdrag, I put the tank in today. It took us about two hours start to finish. We put the truck on jack stands and used the motorcycle jack to raise the tank up into place. The jack worked great, it held the tank steady and right where we needed it while we hooked everything up. It would have been tough using a regular floor jack, as far as holding the tank and balencing it. But I guess a floor jack would have worked, I know we couldn't have lifted the tank up and done the job without some kind of jack, it is a bear. But all in all it was a pretty easy straight forward install. Thanks again for your input it was helpful. Now if I could only afford to fill the thing up! "Ha Ha" I figured it has about six to eight gallons of fuel left when the low fuel light comes on. Drive safe. And thanks again.

mdrag
04-19-2003, 22:05
Cowboy Wild Bill,

Good idea with the cycle jack, I can see how that would be more stable. Glad to hear that all went well.

mdrag

cowboywildbill
04-20-2003, 20:40
mdrag, Thanks again. I would recomend the transfer flow tank for anyone that tows and goes any distance. It just fills up so quick.