PDA

View Full Version : Marine 6.5 diesel HP/TQ

DA BIG ONE
11-30-2005, 01:14
I see the GM 6.5 is used and making big power numbers as far as a 6.5 goes, what difference besides the obvious intake/exhaust setups, lower compression & DB4 pump?

Can one conclude they stay together longer because of their application and marine cooling system capacity, or?

Hubert
11-30-2005, 04:10
I think the really HO have a water to air intercooler too.

Make no mistake a marine engine has a hard job and high demand on it. It is a little softer loading (impact wise) but a more steady heavy load. A boat plowing heavy waves still sees a harsh load /relief but maybe not as harsh as a manual transmission rigid engine to ground.

Try running 50 mph in a medium size deep V hulled boat and cut power the boat will slow faster than a truck pulling a grade.

markrinker
11-30-2005, 05:59
I have always found that curious, that the water to hull friction is so high. My marine mechanic friend said that "...a boat engine load is like a truck running uphill - all the time."

I have almost 500 hours on my 5.7L Merc Mag MPI motor - have been told it will be tired at 1000 hours. I'll bet 100 hours is between 4K and 5K rpms, pushing ~6500lbs nearly 55mph, as we do lots of long distance river cruising and water sports.

If it is - I might be the first 1998 Regal 2500 LSR owner with a turbocharged and water-to-air intercooled 6.6L Duramax engine...

I dream about the Bravo III props that kind of torque would spin!!!

More Power
11-30-2005, 09:01
A marine 6600 has been done... smile.gif We did an article about 2 years ago on a just such a conversion.

I can remember a report from Peninsular back in the late 90's where one of their 6.2TD marine engines had accumulated more than 6500 hours, sunk off the coast of South or Central America, was re-floated and cleaned up, and was still in service at last report....

Jim

Dvldog 8793
11-30-2005, 09:37
Howdy
How about the AMPHIBIOUSE applications! Wasn't there a machine that was built out of a stainless steel milk truck that used twin 6.5s? The purpose of this rig was to travel around the world under it's own power.
Here it is AND it's for sale!!!!

http://www.dobbertinhydrocar.com/Dobbertin%20Surface%20Orbiter.html

L8r
Conley