PDA

View Full Version : Charging Circuit Install?

AlaskaDmax
04-30-2002, 09:18
Alright...got a dumb question...
I have a travel trailer that I am going to be pulling...

I have decided to go with the prodigy, and thanks to Mav's detailed wiring instructions I do not think that it will be a problem :D

The question I have is this... My last truck had a charging circuit installed to charge the batteries whilst I towed...does the 2500HD already have this wired through the hitch plug? And if not...then how do I install said circuit?

I understand that the 2500HD is always "HOT", so a relay might need to be installed?

I would rather do this myself and save $200 in installation charges...know what I mean? :rolleyes:

Any information would be appreciated!!!

The snow is almost all the way melted...fishing season is rapidly approaching!!!!!!!! :eek:

Maverick
04-30-2002, 09:29
As far as I know and have read you should have to do nothing. Most travel trailers have a inverter or converter (can't remember) that will charge your battery when you are plugged into 110. The plug is hot on the back of the truck. Your lights inside the camper will run off the battery(s) in the camper as well as the truck. If you left all the lights(12v)in the camper on for a few days it would kill the camper batteries as well as the ones on your truck. I have been told the truck will charge the battery(s) in the camper. It might take longer as it will have 3 or more batteries to charge. A second alt would work good for this case. You will love the prodigy. Where did you buy?

[ 04-30-2002: Message edited by: Maverick ]</p>

wizkid
04-30-2002, 09:59
With a travel trailer, unplugging the trailer is always an option.

If you decide to leave it plugged into the truck, and use the auxillary power off the trailer/camper
wiring, it will always be hot unless you install a relay.

slapshot44
04-30-2002, 11:02
As far as a suitable relay goes, might I suggest you check out this company:
www.hellroaring.com/rv.htm
I put one of these in my camper and am impressed. A bit pricey, but they seem to have solved most of the problems of the normal battery isolator relays; A mechanical solenoid doesn't care whether or not your truck batteries are discharged, all the batteries are considered one bank; The usual diode relay doesn't give a complete, full charge to your trailer batteries due to diode voltage drop. Both require you to run extra wiring.
The hellroaring isolator will not allow the trailer batteries to charge until the truck batteries are charged first, and will fully charge the camper batteries when its their turn. No extra wires to run. Mount it in the trailer or camper, hook up the charging wire and a ground, and the relay does the rest.
Anyways, just my .02

AlaskaDmax
04-30-2002, 11:41
Thanks for the replies, but I don't feel warm and fuzzy yet....

More info...

Before I leave for camping I charge the batteries at home with a charger.

I install one battery to the camper and stow one.

I go camping...unplug the camper from the truck when I get to my destination.

Camp on batteries for a week or so.

Plug camper to truck and drive away.

This is when I want to charge the battery that I have hooked up to the camper. While I am driving down the road.

Is the wiring already there for this?
Do I need to wire it up myself?

Thanks guys!!

AlaskaDmax
04-30-2002, 11:43
Mav,

Haven't bought yet.

A&M has them for $175!!!!

I can get it WAY cheaper off the internet, so I am going to do that.

bmoeller
04-30-2002, 12:06
There is a connection from the truck system through a 40A fuse to the trailer plug at the rear of the truck that should do the job through your trailer wiring plug. Just need to remember that while the trailer is connected that you can run down the truck batteries as well as the trailer one.

TXMAX
04-30-2002, 12:39
Bottomline answer is: Yes when you reconnect to your truck and drive off down the road you will be charging your camper batteries, but that does not mean they will be fully recharged by the time you get home. Their SOC will be dependant on how far your trip is and the condition of the batteries. If the batteries are older and/or sulfated they will be more resistant to charge but they will appear to recharge more quickly. If you want to maximize your battery life etc. take a look at www.pulsetech.net to see what they can do for battery life extension. Now for the disclaimer, I work for the company in government/military sales and used the products before I retires from the Marine Corps with great success. Be that as it may take a look and make your own judgement.

Abe

TXMAX
04-30-2002, 12:47
I guess I should add how this will work on private/commercial equipment and I'll use my own as an example: When I traded off my PSD it was 6 yrs old with 105K mi on it with the original batteries. My first set of trolling motor and start batteries in my Astro lasted right at five years and I am now on my second set of batteries in a '94 bassboat (That's pretty good). I bought my '99 Harley used with the original battery (they engraved the top of it)and within a month of buying it I was getting a check engine light. I took it to the HD dealer and they told me the battery was shot and needed to be replaced. I declined and put a Redi-Pulse on it instead, that was in Jan of '01 and it is still going strong. Sorry for the long post.

Abe

AlaskaDmax
04-30-2002, 15:25
Great, thanks...I got the warm and fuzzy now.

I had another vehicle I used for towing this camper previously and the RV dealer installed a charging circuit ( which included the relay ) so I assumed that I also needed to do this with the 2500HD, but if you guys say that it is already there then I am good with that. I never leave the truck and camper connected when I camp so the battery drain on the truck is not really an issue.

All I need to do is buy the prodigy and wire it in and should be good to go.

I thank you guys very much for the information and look forward to you helping me in the future!! :D :D :D

As an after thought...the RV dealer wanted to charge me 1.5 hours labor to install the prodigy and charging circuit...$100/hour....what kind of scam is that?!?!?! :mad:

[ 04-30-2002: Message edited by: AlaskaDmax ]</p>

Maverick
04-30-2002, 15:41
AlaskaDmax,
I know the guy that runs Six Robbles in Wasilla really well. I usually get 25% off or around that. I got my Prodigy from him for around $140 I think. I could get one for you if you can't find a better deal. He didn't stock it at the time I got mine but I think he was going to get a couple for the shelf. Otherwise they come out of WA in a week. ;)

mdrag
04-30-2002, 20:19
I bought my Prodigy from Southwest Wheel, great service and price:

http://www.brakecontroller.com/

:D

AKDmax
04-30-2002, 20:57
SouthWest has a great deal on them (124.95). Free shipping too. I'll bet it doesn't include Alaska though. Go figure!!!

BobNelson
04-30-2002, 21:17
In response to the original questitons...

Charge ckt... My dealer charged me $45 to install the relay (labor and parts) to isolate the truck when the engine is off. Go for the relay... I never worry about the disconnect. Installation of the prodigy, or most others is really simple. Go for the learning experience.. ;) and have fun.

ropinfool
05-01-2002, 08:25
Ok, if your truck came with the tow package, everything should be there for a charge wire in the plug. Did it come with a 7 way already installed? You should have gotten a tow package harness in your glove box. This is for your brake controller. Just hook the wires up to the brake controller as instructed, plug the harness into the junction box just above and to the left of the brake pedal, I think it is the second slot from the left on top, mount the brake controller where you want it, tie up the excessive wiring, install the 30A fuse that came with it and you are done. Ready to tow. Good luck. John

AlaskaDmax
05-01-2002, 09:38
Thanks everybody for the inputs...I am good to go.

I think I am going to order from agri-mill, they are the cheapest anyway by a few dollars.

As far as the charging ckt goes...Can this truck possibly make me any more happy? The F**ds I have owned in the past never came prewired for anything....except recalls.... :D

AKDmax
05-01-2002, 20:11
AlaskaDmax,
check out Southwest Wheel. Apparantly they do honor the free shipping to AK. I ordered online late last night and received a 3 May expected delivery today. Not bad by AK standards!

Wesley Briggman
05-02-2002, 21:18
I found a Battery Combiner, 50A, Two Bank at
"http://www.skingcompany.com/detail.asp?product_ID=C50" for $70.00. I dropped by my local West Marine store today and bought a unit off the shelf for $69.99 with the same specs as at the web site. I plan to install it this weekend. Since the battery feed from the truck is fused at 30A, it should work fine.

Just turned 9k on my truck and looking forward to my next trip!!

GMC4ME

AlaskaDmax
05-02-2002, 23:19
AKDmax,

I went to their web site and they advertise the free shipping for the infamous "continental U.S."
.....excluding ALASKA!!!

I keep forgetting that we are actually on a different continent!!! Contigous no, Continental Yes.

Their words...

"All controllers listed on our website have free UPS ground shipping and if stated on our website free UPS 2nd day air in the contiguous 48 states. This excludes Alaska or Hawaii.

Prodigy $124.95 with free UPS 2nd Day Air..

In the continental United States."

So which is it?

Yes

No

I will give them a holler and see what they say.

odoh
05-03-2002, 13:01
Ordered a Prodigy from Agri-Supply mailorder yesterday for 115.95 delivered. Their website shows its avail from retail stores only and for 118 + shipping. I'm told they do have a backlog ~ mine will be shipped out monday. ~ odoh

AlaskaDmax
05-06-2002, 16:37
I ordered mine yesterday, online at http://www.rjays.com

$138 w/second day air, should be here Thursday.
(will get shipped from Tekonsha 2morrow morn)

I am going steelhead trout hunting this next weekend and need to get it in the truck NOW!!!

Thanks for all the info, you guys are great.