PDA

View Full Version : My first time...

G. Gearloose
11-30-2005, 03:08
Gas in the tank that is...17 years of diesel truck ownership I let my guard down..

Yesterday I intercepted the moron attendant putting gas in my truck. Non-apologetic and beligerant little single-cell lifeform..

He gave me **** even right in front of the manager and upon retuning to my truck found a big glob of spit running down the side...nice. After I pulled a Yosemite Sam on the little dope and the manager cleaned it up.

So I caught it at 2.5 gals of gas, and considered the ratio, and chose NOT to immediately purge the tank, but insisted they fill it all the way to dilute it.. Manager looked at me funny when I offered my $30 cash for $39 of fuel and $5 of gas; then reconsidered the alternative I suspect.

I added about a quart of fuel conditioner at home and have about 35 miles on it with no symtoms. Its the 26 gal tank so thats about 10:1 fuel:gas.

Should be ok, do you concur? Should I further dilute it as soon as the level drops some?

rjschoolcraft
11-30-2005, 03:25
The highest percentage of gas mixed in with Diesel that I've ever heard was "safe" is about 3%. You're at about 10%. I'd dilute it as much as possible as soon as possible.

HowieE
11-30-2005, 05:33
I would not wait for the fuel level to drop on it's own. Even with the conditioner you addded I would consider the effects the gas, as a solvent, may have on the inners of the pump.
How about removing the fuel line from the filter and drawing off about half or more of the tank and then topping it off.
I'm not sure I would even reuse the contaminated fuel in my truck.

markrinker
11-30-2005, 05:56
I'd haul a** and fill up at halftank - but thats just me. :D :D :D

G. Gearloose
11-30-2005, 09:01
Thank you all for your replies! I havn't settled on a course of action yet, but certainly appreciate your inputs.

DmaxMaverick
11-30-2005, 12:38
At 10%, I wouldn't give it a second thought. Except for my current '01, I've ran nearly all of my previous Diesels on as much as 50%, with no damage. This includes a couple 6.2's and a couple Mercedes 300D's (gotta' love'er, but she's blonde and color blind at the pump). The additive is a good idea, as the gas will take away from the lube qualities of the #2. In the past, I've added ATF or motor oil to the fuel, but a good lubrication additive would probably have been better. Even 2 cycle oil wouldn't be a bad idea. At 50%, they don't like to start and smoke a bit, but running and power was barely noticed.

Previously, GM recommended up to 10% gas to help with winter fuel issues.

Keep in mind the military multi-fuel engines. The only essential difference between them and yours is the fuel system, and they run fine with either gas or #2.

I suggest you run it down to about 1/2 tank and fill it up. Run that tank down as far as you can and fill it up, and don't look back.

moondoggie
12-01-2005, 05:45
Good Day!

A friend owned several late-70's & early-80's VW diesels. The owner's manual in all of them said up to 10% gasoline in lieu of cold weather (#1) diesel was no problem.

Your truck? Who knows. I'd certainly dump a gallon or so of 2 cycle oil in the tank.

Good Luck &...

Blessings!

DmaxMaverick
12-01-2005, 09:31
Originally posted by moondoggie:
......I'd certainly dump a gallon or so of 2 cycle oil in the tank.

Good Luck &...

Blessings! A gallon or two???

A half pint or so would be more than enough. A little dab'l do ya. Remember, only ~2 1/2 gallons of gas in there, and the balance of 26 gallons is still #2. My chain saw only needs 2.6 oz. oil per gallon of gas, and it stays plenty lubed.

G. Gearloose
12-01-2005, 09:43
Had no time to purge till tomorrow, been on 12 hour shifts since. Another 60 miles no problem. I've left the cap off so some of the more volitile components can evap off; so far added a cocktail of 1qt Power Service and 1qt 30wt, and will fill up again tonight (with fuel!) As some of you aluded, damage my be subtle and not immediate.

No symtoms still, except it starts easier :confused: (fewer revolutions).

One time years ago I had added a pint of less expensive 2-stroke oil that was tinted blue.. starting became harder allmost immediately, more revolutions before firing, until it purged out...it took a few fill-ups.
I suspect the optical encoder was having difficulty but no codes. I got optical encoder err 1.5 years later that required a warrantee pump, but the pump had 60k on it by then. I'm not against 2-stroke oil, but wanted to share a possible warning on dyed additive oil on an electronic engine.

I appeciate your inputs.

DA BIG ONE
12-02-2005, 00:11
Originally posted by G. Gearloose:
I'm not against 2-stroke oil, but wanted to share a possible warning on dyed additive oil on an electronic engine.

I appeciate your inputs. Well, I have used the BLUE dyed synthetic 2 stroke and wonder if it has caused any of my performance issues relating to the optic sensor?

moondoggie
12-02-2005, 09:15
Good Day!

[i]

G. Gearloose
12-02-2005, 09:22
Originally posted by moondoggie:
Good Day!
How did you add it? B4 filling? After? I honestly forget..I'd like to think the former, but perhaps I took my stupid pills that day.

DA BIG ONE
12-02-2005, 14:25
As I suffer from sometimers I at times more than I'd like to admit add the 2 cycle after fillup!