PDA

View Full Version : tdc OFFSET

Slim shady
11-30-2005, 15:02
I know this is an old question but here goes.
I just put a 6.5 with 18.5:1 pistons and ported heads together and Spring loaded waste gate controller. I have been looking for the TDC offset,. I know the factroy setting is 0.00 to -.55 but I have also heard that the phaser gear sets run -1.70 to -1.90 as the TDC offset.
Right now I am running -1.40 and it seems a little loud as far as rattle. When I set it back to the factory setting at -.55 it is real quite but doesn't seem to have the throttle response. Any ideas? I have a MAC Master tech and have rest the TDC offset so I don't need to know how to do it, I just need some input on what others have run their TDC offset at.

Thanks

nvmtnlion
11-30-2005, 15:05
The common school of thought is to run at about -1.92 for performance or -1.5 for towing. I am going to set mine at -1.5 when I get my new timing set since the higher settings come with more clatter.

Slim shady
11-30-2005, 15:17
I have tried the -1.90 setting but since I have 4.10 gear sets at highway speed I am running around 2600 rp, at 75 miles an hour at it seemed quite loud . I figured the 18.5 :1 pistons would make it rattle a little less. It starts hard when the TDC offset is at the factory setting to. I will keep an eye on the responses but I will try the -1.50 setting and see how it is. I noticed boost goes down when I use the higher TDC offset. Ran it at 0.00 for about one day and 15 psi of constant boost under load wasn't uncommon up untill around 2200 rpm.

rjschoolcraft
11-30-2005, 16:57
I ran -1.94 on stock compression and run that now with my new 18:1 engine. Can't tell any difference in sound at all. The dyno data shows the performance gain...

And, oh... I tow a lot!

Cowracer
12-01-2005, 05:07
RJ,

Does yours have a 'rattle' (for lack of a better term) at around 2500 rpm when lightly loaded (coasting or maintaining speed)

I like the 1.94 setting on mine, except for that rattle. It just noticable to enough to drive me nuts.

Tim

Slim shady
12-01-2005, 09:49
I have a C2500 8600 gvw with a Mt8 five speed that I just converted to a single Mass flywheel. Yes I had to put the balance weight in the trans because mine didn't have it. So that I can clear things up I also have The 4" exhaust by Pinnacle.
Now to answer your question I do have a very distinct sharp rattle at around 2200 to 2500 Rpm under light load. When I accelerate and just get up to the shift point at around 2200 it gets real pronounced. This is part of the reason I was asking for others opinions about there TDC offset. When I ran the factory offset it was extremely quite at 1500 to 2000 rpm but got just a little louder at around 2500 rpm
I just don't want to fry my new pistons, even though they are ceramic tops :}. I don't want to go thru this rebuild and expense again any time soon. I spent right around $4000 including the trans and I had the block from an old motor I parted out and it needed a sleeved cylinder and to be bored out.

rjschoolcraft
12-01-2005, 12:57
Mine always did/does that...no matter what the timing was/is

Slim shady
12-01-2005, 18:48
So you think the sharp rattle is not an issue at that rpm? I am just a little gun shy that is all.

rjschoolcraft
12-01-2005, 19:37
The rattle only occurs with small APP commanded fuel flow... Therefore, the cylinder pressures are much lower than when under power and things are much quieter. Don't see an issue...

Slim shady
12-03-2005, 05:20
Thanks
Never thought about that, you are right, and under a load it really didn't seem that loud. I am glad I joined this site. Thanks again, I am going to play with it a little and see where my truck runs best.

Hopefully the smoking at cold start will get better, I can lay down some heavy cover with it now.