PDA

View Full Version : F250 PS programmer or chip????

bhutchins
08-28-2001, 05:45
My father-in-law is looking at either the Superchip flip-chip or the hypertech programmer for his 97PS. He's looking for better towing milage. not sure if a chip would help that unless he keeps his foot out of it more. He also wants to modify shift firmness and shift points.
I told him he should get a new muffler also(flowmaster), to free up the exhaust and let the turbo spin up faster.

Any recomendations?????

ToddMeister
08-30-2001, 09:33
I have the Hypertech Power Programmer code in my truck. It provides about a 50 hp gain. No installation of chip is required with this, which may help if warranty is needed. The chips out there, Superchips, Western Diesel, Diablo, etc. typically have higher HP versions available, but they need to be installed in the chip port in the side of the PCM. Since I have a stick, I don't know for sure if the Hypertech modifies the auto tranny shifts, but I believe it does.

A free flowing exhaust along with a down pipe (on the 97's and older) will also help performance. Lots of tricks available to crank these trucks up.

------------------
99 F250 XLT SC 4X4 PSD 6-speed, neutered cat
Born on 06/98, 57K miles Lt. Prarie Tan
Updated Airbox, Luk Clutch, ORU Diff Cover,
ISSPro Boost & Pyro Gauges, Bilsteins, Pioneer Sound, Hypertech PPIII, Magnefine P/S & Tranny Filters
87 Chevy R10 6.2L 187K

tjc
11-19-2001, 15:56
Toddmiester-
Have a friend the same truck as yours and is interested in Hypertech.
Is yours # 41007 ? And did it help mileage much?
Thanks

PSYCHOSTROKER
11-21-2001, 16:09
bhutchins
The hypertech is a nice unit and it will provide you with about 38 hp more to the rear tires. As for the warranty aspect of it you will need to still uninstall it before you go in the Ford.
But it also looks like you are out of your warranty so that doesn't really matter, but what does is fuel milage and performace.
Super chips and WD etc are also good chips and yes they require an install in the PCM, and on a 97 it's installed from the engine side not from the cab side.I run a TTS switchable chip,This has 2 programs that I can switch from and then there is the stock position also.
This chip cannot be detected on an NGS because it over rides your PCM not just add's to your PCM
There is no hole to cut in your cover in will install under it.As for performance you can chose from a tow version to a extreme verion or from about 60 hp to 145hp to the rear tires. I'm not saying go out and buy one but look at all you options before you do.
Hopefully this will get you started in your qwest for more.

[This message has been edited by PSYCHOSTROKER (edited 11-21-2001).]

roger350
12-11-2001, 08:45
Got a question for you Ford guys running chips. My friend has '00 PSD and was asking me a question about blowing things up after bombing the PSD. He has a good diesel mechanic at the local Ford shop that drives a bombed PSD. Apparently the mechanic was telling him that there was one item that all the bombed PSD seem to eat alive, and Ford knows that it only fails when the engine is chipped, so they deny warranty coverage on it, even if your chip is removed, and everything looks normal? Any ideas what he was talking about? I'm sorry I don't have more information, but my friend isn't very mechanically inclined so I don't always get much of the story? Thanks.

------------------
Roger