PDA

View Full Version : How often should I drive?

jspringator
12-01-2005, 05:08
With the price of Diesel, I have been driving my Miata for work. How much should I be driving my Sub to keep it in good running condition? I am trying to bring it up to highway temps at least once a week.

Hubert
12-01-2005, 05:41
Do you mean you actually drive it or warm it up parked. I'd say once a week is fine if you drive it (works the whole driveline). Just running engine does not work brakes, tranny, rearend etc.
I would change oil (so less acids in oil),. Keep fuel tank topped off and go a little heavy on diesel conditioner.
Only thing else is its kind of hard on batteries.

I have heard people putting cars on jack stands, backing off on valve springs and fogging motor with a uppercylinder fogger (boat winterization stuff), (stabil for gas), fresh oil change, silicone spray all wiring and removing batteries and more for long storage. But its still hard on a vehicle not to use it.

chickenhunterbob
12-01-2005, 19:56
you could probabaly leave it alone for 4 months, unstarted, untouched and covered in snow. I know at least 2 who do. Me being one, well, I have mine in the garage.

Not to say that it may not be a bad thing to fire it up once in a while, but I always find better things to do, I suppose.