PDA

View Full Version : Another pull off.....

Internalcombustion
03-27-2001, 22:29
Pulling truck to truck is happening more and more around here among the "heavy duty club."
So when a duramax came into town of course it had to happen. Finally after running all over the place to try to shake off the crowd of nearly 100 we ended up out in the middle of nowhere with a crowd of about 20.

The Chevrolet was a 01' 3500 extended cab 4x4 auto with the muffler cut off and muffler/tail pipe laying in the bed. (he could have at least replaced the muffler with pipe and retained the tail pipe).

V/S

A 2000 Ford PSD crew cab 3500 DRW 2wd auto with 4" strait exhaust, 60k miles, a chip, and a 100 gal fuel tank in the bed filled to approximately 60 gallons.

The chains were pulled tight then the hand was dropped. The Ford seemed to be in the fuel before the Chevrolet but with in 1 second both of them were burning the rear tires and not moving anywhere. That was no good so they restarted, again the Ford seemed to be in the fuel first but, as last time they both ended up spinning. Then the Chevrolet started to move forward about 1 foot but came to stop with both of them still burning the tires. So it was considered a tie.

Dave
03-28-2001, 05:39
A friend and I had sort of a pull off this past week end. The Daimes point bridge here is the steapest hill on the interstate and about 1.5 miles up length. He was in a 2000 F-250 crew cab short box with a PSD and auto. He was pulling a 9,000 pound trailer. I was in my 3500 crew cab pulling just over 12,000 pounds. We hit the bottom of the hill side by side at 65 mph. He was behind me when we crested the top. I crested the top at 67-68 mph. My friend says he crested the top at 62-63 mph.

Both trailers were travel trailers and mine is six inches taller than his and 3,000 pounds heaver and 4 feet longer.

Things may have been different if he had the steeper grear but he also had a 3.73. I can also beat him stop light to stop lite with our trailers hitched.

------------------
2001 Chevy LT C3500 Crew Cab Dually, Duramax, Allison,pulling 12500 pound Holiday Rambler Alumilite.

Dr.No
03-28-2001, 08:56
I-C -

The bumper to bumper pulls must be a Southern thing. That's how we end any disputes around here too. Where's Afton? Are you all in middle TN?

I believe this type of pull is the truest test/comparison of strength, horsepower, torque, etc. The only problem is breakage. The last time I pulled against a truck (a Ford), the other guy dropped the drive shaft and destroyed the spider gears. I vowed then and there never to do so again - next time, it might be my $30,000+ truck.

But, for those out there who want a real test, this is THE one. If you want to impress me, then hook 'em (like you all did). This truly determines who goes and who blows (the engine, head gaskets, seals, etc.).

------------------
'95 K3500 6.5TD, 4.10 200,000 and counting

Gene M
03-31-2001, 11:14
That has to be the most ridiculous thing I have ever heard!

All that tells you is who has the most traction, or who is DRUNKEST!

Sled pulls, or trailers up mountains are better for testing, I feel.
You boys have fun now!
Gene

DmaxMaverick
03-31-2001, 14:30
Thanks, Gene!

You said it....

It proves nothing and usually causes the most damage to the first one to let off. I've done it in the past, and the last time was when I was about 17. Had to grow up and start reaching into my own pocket for repairs.

Diesel Dan
03-31-2001, 23:17
The local drivetrain guy from the dana shop was down at the stone docks friday night. The "locals" started hook'em up later on. He was driving a late '70s suburban with 6" suspension lift, 35's, 3.73s, semi-built 468, detroit rear, posi front. Pulled a SRW ext dodge/cummins, guy got really ****ed when he lost(no LSDs of any type,duh), pulled a ford, PSD, crew cab dually. Tied with a chevy crew cab dually, 454. He said it was quite a sight, all fours up in heavy smoke, dang next time he needs to invite me!

------------------
1988 chevy crew cab
1 ton 4x4, 6.2L, TH400, 4.10s