PDA

View Full Version : Better truck for 16yo Dieselholic?

Jim Rizos
04-06-2001, 17:52
Hey everyone:
I'm 16 years old and am approaching the time when I'll be buying a truck (around my 17th b'day). Of course, I'd rather push a diesel than drive a gas, and I'm concentrating on saving for either a 88-94 GM 6.2/6.5 or a 94 Dodge Cummins. I will be working my tail off this summer to increase my savings to the amount I'll need to buy the truck, but I'm stuck between them. We have a 6.5 suburban now, and I like it a lot, but it doesn't seem to have a whole lot of power potential and pretty much takes a dump when you get to a hill with a load behind it, so I like the idea of being able to BOMB the cummins. I would have to get the manual in the dodge (NV4500, right?) because I hear the auto doesn't last, but the TH400 and 4L80E in the GM holds up. The Dana 60 in the front of the Dodge is worlds better than the GM IFS, which is cool. The Cummins is again attractive because I can make major torque and still get awesome mileage (good for commuting to college...) However, the Dodge truck costs significantly more than a GM , and I'm not sure if they'd last any longer. Are the Dodges galvanized like the GMs? I know the GM is a good truck, and either the 6.2 or 6.5 will move me and some stuff around and probably give me 200,000 miles of service, but the Cummins seems like it would be a lot more fun and would allow me to move into my next business venture during college summers, hauling cars and boats and stuff for people. Basically I'm asking for opinions, insight, anything to help me out because it's a tie between them at the moment. Initial costs, repair costs, what you have had to repair, what's good and what's bad about each is what I'd love to hear from you experienced guys out there. Thanks a lot and I really appreciate any help you can give me.

Greg Rizos

gk02
05-04-2001, 23:14
I drive a cummins, so i guess im a little biased but if you are going to be doing any pulling at all a cummins would absolutely be the better choice. The reliablility of some parts of the 6.5 are not so hot, but that is better discussed by someone else on this board with more knowledge of that engine. I know more than 3 people with cummins powered dodges at the 200k mark, and their trucks are performing great. I know when the front suspensions are worked hard on the chevys, idler arms and other components will need to be replaced pretty frequently. I bet someone will want to argue that point, but after having to replace them it seemed like nearly every week at a drilling company i worked at, we sold all the chevys and replaced them with dodges just because of the weak front suspension. This is 4x4 of course im talking about and the dodge isnt exactly perfect either in the frontend department, but its better. You could argue the little points of each truck all day, but the final decision comes down to what you want more than anything and what kind of deal you will be able to find. Good luck. Oh, as far as maintainence on the dodges, i think the brakes and frontend components on the 4x4s are the biggest problems. The guys i know who have all the miles on their trucks haul heavy weights on a regular basis, and have had to just replace the typical stuff like brakes and adjust valves. No major work.

------------------
00 24 valve,4x4,slt, 5spd,reg cab, no engine mods(yet)

[This message has been edited by gk02 (edited 05-04-2001).]

Turbo Al
05-07-2001, 13:31
Well I'll stick up for Chevy http://www.62-65-dieselpage.com/ubb/biggrin.gif I have a 1993 bought in 1992 and it now has 165,000 miles on it -- no major break downs to date.
I have the 3:43 rear end so it's probably a little low (numerically) for towing but I have no problem towing a 5,500 lbs tandem axle travel trailer & enjoy great MPG the rest of the time. I am still on my original rear brakes (drums & shoes) and have just replaced the front pads (original rotors never been turned) for the second time at 160,000 miles. Never had any front end work done to it but I do grease it EVERY time I change the oil @ 2,500 miles. I have the NV4500 and with slight differences it's the same standard available in the Dodge.
There is No way to compare the 6.5 to the Cummings the Cummings wins hands down because it's a great motor.
I test drove both Dodge and Chev (within mins of each other) and really liked the way the Chev handled, drove & it was quite. I bought the Chev. After 8 years and 165,000 miles I ordered my new truck @ Duramax http://www.62-65-dieselpage.com/ubb/biggrin.gif
It all boils down to what/how much weight you are going to tow and how well the truck you buy was looked after (serviced). Chev parts are less expensive and it requires less oil per change and reg oil filters. One more important factor is that the 1993's (& previous years) have MECHANICAL injection pumps not the electronic ones.
Turbo AL

dmax
05-08-2001, 12:29
The Dodge wouldn't be a bad choice if you really need the towing capability. For a young guy running around town, you have to remember, the Cummins is acceptionally loud. You cannot have a conversation while it's running. Actually, I love the sound of the Cummins, I just don't think I could handle it for too long.

Turbo Al tows 5,500 lbs. That's a reasonable load for the 6.5. The Chevy has a much nicer ride and interior.

It's your call

Oh, forgot to mention one thing... the Dodge Cummins has no get up and go. It's a true truck diesel. I test drove a brand new one in '97. I couldn't believe I had to practically put the pedal to the floor to get it to move. It's a very strange truck to drive. Feels like a tractor.

Mike

------------------
2001 2500HD Duramax/Allison Summit White CC/SB Loaded PICTURES (http://members-http-4.rwc1.sfba.home.net/hoot74/cars/duramax/gmc/)
1997 K2500HD 6.5TD Reg Cab Silverado Loaded FOR SALE..PICTURES (http://uscom.com/~hoot/cars/97HD/97.html)
1994 K1500 Blazer 350 Loaded

[This message has been edited by dmax (edited 05-08-2001).]