PDA

View Full Version : Cummins 4BT Resources - Question

DarylB
01-20-2005, 01:04
I know the TDR has some information about these engines. I'm currently rebuilding an 83 Jeep scrambler(with chevrolet type running gear)and haven't ruled out going with the 4BT if I can find a good running one and someone to help me get it setup correctly. Any help/suggestions would be great. Thanks.

[ 01-22-2005, 12:33 AM: Message edited by: DarylB ]

CATCRACKER
01-25-2005, 08:43
i have seen them on ebay or check here car-part.com. old bread trucks use these engines. easy and cheap to rebuild. they have a new one out cummins has a new 6.7 (replacing the 5.9) liter engine out and its smaller brother is the 4.3(repalcing 3.9) liter electronic engine. these new engines have the common rail and pilot injection! i saw one on ebay for around 5K.

cant wait to see the new 6speed auto dodge with the 6.7L cummins smile.gif my friend has an agco(massey furgeson) tractor with the 6.7l cummins in it...its bad to the bone

Tractor
01-25-2005, 19:35
DarylB
I would look around a place that has construction equipment for sale to see if they have a used 4BT Cummins for you to fix up. The engine is as tough as one can be. This 4 cylinder is on a asphalt laydown machine made by Blaw-Knox. I,ve operated a new one alot over the last 3 summers. In 2003 our summer was as hot as could be in our area. The mix is 310 degrees, the air temp was over 100 degrees often. I had the hood open to cool the engine down. I kid you not the temp was never under 260, and most of the time over that. It would not have hardly any oil pressure at all. But I was told to go see how long it would last. I never did add any oil to the engine, even at close to 300 degress. They are rebuilding it right now, for this summer as another new and bigger one was not in the budget. Even blew the top of the radiator off. Fixed it and went on. I nearly melted, but the engine hung in there.
TRACTOR. with a outfit with 6 holes under the hood.

DarylB
01-25-2005, 23:07
Yeah these are tough engines. I'd love to have a newer EFI common rail type, but thats way out of my budget. I'm looking to go with the older simple 4BT instead of an expensive 350 gasser with aftermarket FI. Thanks for the help

Tractor
01-26-2005, 17:24
Getting it set up correctly to match a trany and gears could be a little tough I bet. Wish I had some info on that for you, but sorry I don,t. Good Luck. If I find anything out, you will here from me. What a Jeep it could be.
TRACTOR

DarylB
01-26-2005, 22:56
I'm going to be running a 700R4, which should bolt up just fine (some of the 4BT's had a chevy 4spd or TH400). Going to Run 4.09 Gears with 33-35" tires. I figure my RPMS will be in the 1800-2200 range for highway speeds 55-70mph. Should be within the operating limits of the engine. The main concerns I have right now are going to be the TV cable on the 700R4, the intercooler for the motor, and the actualy weight of the engine. I want to keep the stock SUA springs with a 4" lift, but the additional weight may require me to engineer up something a bit different. I'll let everyone know how it develops out, so for now, I'm on a hunt for an engine locally.