PDA

View Full Version : Trailer pulling and weigh stations question

AOPA Roger
11-20-2002, 03:20
I was wondering, if I was to pull a horse trailer across country on the interstate and the sign says all trucks must weigh, are they tallking about comercial vehicles or all vehicles? Sometimes the sign says all trucks over 8000 pounds must weigh. I would think they would not expect a non-comercial truck to stop.

Any body know?

NH2112
11-20-2002, 05:08
Normally when they say trucks, they mean heavy trucks and not pickups/light trucks. Commercial light trucks are usually considered trucks, but aren't prohibited from travelling in the left lane in areas where trucks are, and can go through the automatic toll booths unless a state charges extra for duallies. Up here, 2 axles = 75 cents and 3 axles = $1.00 - unless you have a dually, which apparently goes by # of tires. But a 10-wheeler is charged for 3 axles, not 10 tires. Makes sense? :confused:

[ 11-20-2002: Message edited by: NH2112 ]

[ 11-20-2002: Message edited by: NH2112 ]</p>

LarryM
11-20-2002, 08:41
Roger,

Since I tow a lot all over the western US, I've spent a lot of time researching this topic. It's very confusing because of the differences between US DOT and local DOT regs and the ability of the local enforcement agencies to interpret the regs.

After talking with a great number of people who have towed cross country for years (NOT RV'S), I have come up with a set of guidelines (based on experience) that I use.

"Commercial" has little to do with what/why you are hauling, but rather with licensed weight.

If you are running a dooly with a three axle gooseneck, you better have a CDL, med card, and stop at every scale. It helps to have DOT numbers and GVW painted on the side of your rig.

If you have SRW pickup and a two axle gooseneck, you are in a grey area. Most of the time you can blow the scales with no problem. However, you run the risk of being sent back to the scales and possible citations for over weight and/or "out of class", depending on your actual weight.

If you have a SRW pickup and a bumper pull trailer, you can pretty much ignore everything. I have found no instance where a DOT cop bothered this type of rig. Even where local state law has your rig classed "commercial", you will be left alone.

Most western states class horse trailers as RV's and as such are exempt from everything. However, and this is a big however, some states require you to stop at the scales and show title for the animals you are transporting. I've heard of people blowing this off with no problem and I've heard the opposite as well. Take your choice!

Good luck and happy towing!

chipper
11-20-2002, 09:59
AOPA Roger,
As a retired commercial officer I can tell you that Larry M is 100% correct.

AOPA Roger
11-20-2002, 19:31
I guess my trip to SD I will have to find a way to get title to my horses and stop at weigh stations. I guess if they don't want me they can wave me on.

Thanks

DmaxMaverick
11-20-2002, 22:00
AOPA Roger

Don't worry about it. The only reason your rig would be required to scale is to check your weight, as long as you are non-commercial. The only weight you have to worry about is gross combination. Livestock transportation is exempt from individual axle weight due to unpredictability of weight distribution. When in doubt, drive through the scales. The worst that will happen is they will ask you why you are there. Proof of ownership is not required for unbranded horses. If your horses are branded, all you need is your brand reg. cert. If they ask to whom the horses belong, tell them they are yours. If there is a controversy (ie: recent horse theft and you happen to match a description), any paperwork you have won't matter anyway. "Recreational use of livestock" exempts you from just about everything.
Just make sure you are doing everything else right.

Good luck and enjoy your trip.

billnourse
11-20-2002, 23:18
Roger,

Most Port of Entries in the West have signs that say commerical vehicles and livestock haulers. In NM, AZ, CO, UT. etc. you are required to have travel papers on horses, brand inspections on cattle, and often times health certificates. I sure wouldn't blow by a port if I was hauling any kind of livestock.

Bill