PDA

View Full Version : Oil Pump Failures in a PSD????

7mmSTW
04-02-2002, 22:25
A friend of mine mine in TX has an '01 PSD with a stage 4 DR. Performance kit. The rig only has 27,000 miles on it. Here is the problem: In the last 10,000 miles the thing has been through 4 oil pumps. Has anyone here ever heard of or had these problems before? I don't know a whole lot about the setup on a PSD or what could cause this to happen. Out of all the PSD's I have been around this is a first for me.

Thanks in advance for any advice

Seven

P.S. Yes he wants a D-max to go with his three PSD's so you don't have to offer that as a solution. smile.gif

DmaxMaverick
04-03-2002, 03:23
7mmSTW

Which oil pump? High or low pressure.

I've never heard of oil pumps failing repeatedly on the PSD. After 4 of them, even Ford's finest should figure out that SOMETHING is causing the pumps to fail. It can't be the pumps themselves. The performance kit would (should) not have a play in it (Although I'm not familiar with the design of the kit you describe). The oil rail pressure should be constant. Increasing the pressure at the high pressure oil pump would not give much, if any, performance advantage. I know of a couple attempts to do so, but no gain was made.

I would suspect that there is something wrong with the block casting or drive. Good luck with it.

7mmSTW
04-03-2002, 12:22
I don't know yet whether or not it is the high or low pump. I am trying to find out as we speak. He told me last night that the dealer pulled the chip that came with the upgrade because they were blaming it on that. He said that the new pump went out before they could get it out the door. Don't know if that was an exageration or not.

Later

R Waller
04-08-2002, 05:51
its not the oil pumps thats the problem,
there is something else causing the oil pumps to fail, i would think thats unusual, Im sitting here trying to remember if ive ever heard of an oil pump failing??
alot of other things fail, but never heard of an oil pump.. ;)

7mmSTW
04-08-2002, 09:20
This is a first for me too. I was wondering if there was a bad place on the block due to machining or cast? I don't really even know where the oil pump is on a PSD. I haven't talked to him in about a week. If anything changes I will post the info.

grape
04-09-2002, 21:48
I think the high pressure pump is that round deal that the oil filter hooks too that runs horizontally next to the block. However i've been told that's the oil cooler also, so i'm not sure. I've heard of a few high pressure pumps going out but not four on one truck..

Jeremy
04-10-2002, 11:23
The high pressure oil pump is mounted in the engine "V"(where a injector pump would be on a 6.5L). Dr. Performance may be messing with the high pressure oil pump to gain performance. Higher oil pressure in the HEUI injector means higher fuel injection pressure. Lot of PSD owners are buying 10k resistor and bumping up the oil pressure of that pump. It is said that the 10k resistor mod is worth 50hp alone.

hope this helps
Jeremy

PS: Pump failures are extreemely rare, and with 4 of them going out, I be looking at Dr. Performance for answers.

[ 04-10-2002: Message edited by: Jeremy ]</p>