PDA

View Full Version : Rotella T

LFH
05-16-2001, 20:11
I just ran across this little blurb and thought I would share.
To Quote:
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
"In 2000, Shell Rotella T Multigrade SAE 15W-40 with Advanced Soot Control, the best selling U.S. heavy-duty multigrade engine oil, was reformulated to exceed new standards of a major engine manufacturer."
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Naturally this came from a Shell publication and was not related directly to oil products.

My question is what major engine manufacturer and what are the new standards. Can we read "Duramax" between the lines? Others?

Sorry for lack of detail. And please do not take this as an endorsement for Rotella.
Nor is this intended to start another thread on preferences of the different engine oils.

Frasan
06-01-2001, 23:44
LFH, I was aware that Shell reformulated the Rotella T.I work in the marine industry and we have some Detroit Diesels that we always used Rotella S in. The S indicated that it was for 2 stoke engines.Last year Shell stopped making Rotella S,after making enquiries to the company they advised that they had reformulated the T so that it could be used in 2 stroke engines as a direct replacement for the old Rotella S.

Not sure if this was done at the request of Detroit Diesel or other engine maker,or maybe to just reduce the # of products they make.There aren t as many 2strokes around any more,so maybe it was just supply and demand.

Regards Frasan

LFH
06-03-2001, 22:33
Interesting info...
Thx