PDA

View Full Version : Stay clear of Liberty Chev. in MA for Diesel Service

kburati
07-29-2003, 06:02
So I had a bad experience last September with these guys when I brought my truck in for a Service Engine light issue:

1. They never called me
2. When I called them I got an answering machine and nobody called back so
3. When I went to pick the truck up after work I was informed that I couldn't take it since they had the Turbo apart to replace a sensor that wouldn't be in for a day or two and they offered me no assistance in getting home.
4. The sensor they replaced did not fix anything.

So I've been driving with the S.E.L. issue since then although much more infrequent over the winter. I decided to give these guys a second chance a couple weeks ago since they are close to where I work and they have a full service commercial Diesel center plus Allison service center:

1. Couldn't find anything causing the S.E.L. so they replaced the air filter saying that my aftermarket Amsoil air filter must have been the problem. Charged me $80 Labor plus the cost of the new filter for something that should have been a warranty issue since it was due to the aftermarket air filter. Well the problem is now worse since the S.E.L. comes on 5x as often telling me that it must be an air flow issue and that the cheapo filter they put in is not allowing as much air flow as the Foam filter did. They won't credit me back the cost unless I bring the truck back in (last place I want to bring my truck right now).

2. I decided to have them rotate the tires to save some time while it was there. They charged me $192 for a Dually tire rotation, basically 2.4 man hours labor. I thought an hour was a long time when I do it manually in my driveway jacking up and down each corner. They stated that they have a formula of 4/10th of an hour per tire and that's how they charge for this even though it only took 30 minutes. I'm thinking that this is illegal since the bill itself states 2.4 hours of labor.

3. I've been having chirping sounds up front and the belt seems fine. Since I wanted to rule out bearing issues before my warranty was up I asked for them to look at this. Unfortunately, as with any intermittent problem, it didn't chirp for them so they tried to charge me $80 for an hour of checking the belt. I fought this and have not paid for it yet but am expecting a bill any day for this.

I've spoken to local shops and friends who are ex GM mechanics and everyone believes that I need to report this incident to the BBB. Thoughts?

roegs
07-29-2003, 07:00
I can understand your frustration and wanting to do something about it. I also thought turning a complaint into the BBB would get some results. After my experiance with them, I've come to the conclusion that the BBB is a worthless service. :mad:

Captain Mal
07-29-2003, 07:09
24 minutes a tire for rotation is silly. Some dealers are reasonable but the one you speak of is not.

When this is over you will have learned to ask what the rates, procedure and policy is before committing to their lunacy. Once committed it is probably tough to get out of paying.

Good luck.

JoeyD
07-29-2003, 15:56
kburati, I have used them only a few times and a guy in the shop who does diesel work is a friend of mine. Do you know who worked on your truck? My friend is great with the diesel's and I would recomend him to anyone. I can't say the same for anyone else up there though.
My brother had a problem with his truck a few years ago and Mirak Chevy in Arlington fed him the same crap about his K&N causing his SES light. He thought it was funny when we told him and didn't care that it was in there.
E-Mail me and I can set up something with him if you want, jdecampo@rcn.com

cat320
07-29-2003, 20:13
I have used them too for warranty work for my diesel.At that time they did good work and I had no problems.I know the owner and when you buy from there they give you no deals I got a better deal from a sranger than going thu them even knowing the owner.The only benifet to going there is they are an allison dealer.

NewEnglandDmax
07-31-2003, 15:10
Well this information bums me out. These guys are half way between my work and house. I was going to use them in the future as they are a large truck dealership and also the New England rep/distributor for Detroit Diesel and Allison. I did buy a spin on Allison filter from them for $9.