PDA

View Full Version : "84" Mercedes 190D getting 163MPG=T or F ???

triggerman
06-03-2002, 18:36
This "inventor" claims the 2.2 liter diesel in a Heavy Mercedes Benz sedan is getting 163MPG on straight diesel fuel.He claims his "vaporizor" gismo is THE fix to high mileage. Is this another blatant case of - surfers beware - ? Go to www.get113to138mpg.com :rolleyes:

Colorado Kid
06-04-2002, 11:19
Lets see, he admits to being a convicted fellon (clearly not his fault) :eek: and he wants to give us all the information we need to build one for free, all we have to give him is all the contact information in the world, and information about the vehicles we own. What do you suppose a list of gulible anti-establishment types is worth to a con man?

You don't have to be an engineer (but I am) to realize that he is descibing creating a combustible mixture in his device and then indroducing it through the intake manifold to the cumbustion chambers...the ain't gonna work in a diesel, because there is no mechanism to ignite the mixture at the appropriate time...that's why we have those very expensive fuel injection systems. If his claims were valid we'd all already be using natural gas powered vehicles because that fuel is always 100% vapor at any resonable temp and pressure...better than the 98% vaporization he hopes for.

Improved vaporization may hold the potential for incremental improvement in effciency and emission performance, but not 5 to 10 times more miles per gallon.

Since he sites the code under which he was convicted, but says he was convicted as a "Courier" rather than a "Career" criminal I think he's good at writing Mumbo-Jumbo, but I don't think he has stumbled into "the secret" of fantastic fuel economy.

Disclaimer: Since I work for the State of Colorado and the State benifits from "gas tax" my opnions are tainted by my status as a member of "The Dark Side". tongue.gif

[ 06-04-2002: Message edited by: Colorado Kid ]</p>

triggerman
06-04-2002, 17:56
Hey Colorado,
Well said! I'm not an engineer but you don't have to be to see a red flag in such an aggresive boast. Thanks for your appraisal. Hope you got a tickle out of this guy. :D

morgan
06-06-2002, 16:00
I have engineering friends in Boston. I will ask them about this guy. Brockton is in the metropolitan area there.

I have been considering a VW TDI for commuting. I love my GMC truck with 16mpg, but 50mpg is very enticing. Those VW diesel guys have their own "diesel page" websites for performance and information.

I had a Volvo 240 wagon with a VW 6cyl diesel in it. Over 4000lb car with 225,000 miles on it and still got 35mpg.