PDA

View Full Version : cummins problem...any ideas ?

KEVIN MUNCASTER
04-23-2005, 13:40
I have a 2002 Ram Cummins, auto trans, and when driving at highway speed, it feels like the fuel shuts down. If you open the throttle all the way, it comes back to life, and all os normal again. It doesn't give any warning or seem to have any other side effects. Is this a tps problem ? Filters are new,

Thanks

tpitt
04-24-2005, 06:58
Try testing your lift pump. This is a known problem for the 24 valve engines. What happens is the lift pump goes out then your injecter pump will go out. Are you setting any check engine lights? If my memory serves me right, you may also set a P0216 code.
BD-Power makes a little light which goes in your dash and will alert you to a pressure loss. You want at least 5 pounds pressure at wide open throttle.
I've been installing quite a few of these lately. tpitt

Bill Voitel
05-01-2005, 04:33
Call your local stealer give him the vin if you are under 100K it will be covered under motor warranty.......another tip from the DARK SIDE :eek: :eek: :eek:

surfbeetle
05-14-2005, 16:58
It will definitely be either the lift pump or the injection pump. The lift pumps have been known to fail because at that time, dodge was using them in a "pulling" configuration rather than pushing the fuel from the fuel tank. This has since been corrected on the new models. You will see a loss in fuel pressure, at this point, the injection pump will continue to function until it (like the GM DS4) overheats and dies. It's at least a couple grand if not still under warranty. I recommend that you install a fuel pressure guage between the lift pump and the injection pump so that you can keep an eye on it after you get it repaired.