PDA

View Full Version : THE D.O.T. ARE A BUNCH OF $#@%^&^%$#@%&*&*&*^

mackin
06-12-2002, 17:59
Luckily it wasn't my TRUCK. Or I'd be in the news, nationwide, right now ........ The D.O.T. here in CT are the biggest group of LAME A**ES I know .They are filling cracks on the interstate with that MOLLASIS,GLUE. TAR S**T ....... Then spreading sand, twigs, gravel, road kill bones, anything they have been scraping up for the last month ..... They have been closing one side creating a 10 mile traffic jam all week ...... Well, that is the good part.
So they are (WEATHER PEOPLE) reporting heavy rains today ...... So I'm driving home, yup they are doing the same thing ...... Now, I'm home starts to rain .... Rains HARD..... Wife gets home with the car ...... I go out to put in the garage ....... Take one look at it, and !!!!!!!!!!!!! @#$%^&((&*%#%^$&&*(()*&^%$$%^^*(&(*)(**&
&^%#$%&*(*))(*&^^$^&%&((()*&^%#$%&*^*(())_(*&

Still only says half the story .... It is covered with that SH*T ...... All down the sides ,on the rims ...... even the tires where the tread is ,has sticky gummy crap all over it .....

I tried washing ...... NOPE ....... I tried clay bar ... NOPE ..... I called the D.O.T. ....... Closed ....... I called the Detail shop ... Closed ...... I'm having a couple drinks ,,, AAAAHHHHHH.

Any ideas?

MAC :mad: :mad: as "HELL"

Some ones gonna pay .......... DEARLY.......
The sad part is I'll have to fight them to get MY MONEY back .........

I needed the VENT ,thanks..........

[ 06-12-2002: Message edited by: mackin ]</p>

GMC-2002-Dmax
06-12-2002, 18:20
Mackin,

if it's solvent based then unfortunatly it's gonna need a solvent to cut it. when I was a youth I went to a tech high school and we used something called prep-sol. nowadays my buddy at the body shop said to try a sherwin williams product they use to clean a car before painting it . the final wipe chemical.

I forgot what he called it.

goodluck,

P.S. they are %!@#**^%$#@@!#$

GMC

stretch
06-12-2002, 18:28
First things first.... Pour yourself an Absolute and tonic (do not use Vintage, Seagrams or Canada Dry tonic only). Use the proper ratio - 70% and 30% starting with the gin. Once you have practiced enough at mixing and consuming, you should be calmed down. Next, go in the garage and dig up some WD40, aplly liberally to the affected areas and proceed with all the elbow grease you have left in you and start cleaning. By the time you are done you shouild be sober and ready to hit the rack. Under no circumstances should you venture out seeking retaliation or anything else for that matter. Tomorrow will be a better day !!! ;) :D tongue.gif

rvforfun
06-12-2002, 19:08
mackin. I have used mineral spirits to remove that crap for the body of past vehicles but not sure about use on rubber. Good luck that would really frost my cookies too :mad:

tonkater
06-12-2002, 19:11
case of wd 40 from Costco, or keroscene works for me.

MudNurI
06-12-2002, 19:13
GEEZZZZ that SUCKS! Never had that happen to us, but up here we don't have many paved roads, that need that sticky gooey stuff. Let me do a few searches here, got some sites bookmarked, and I'll let ya know what I find..

BTW, my first stop tomorrow would be the local highway dept. garage...You'd have to let her take your truck of course, and you take her car. I wouldn't bother trying to get it off, till AFTER I went there, but as you can imagine, I can be a real B*tch when it comes to my rigs, car truck it don't matter..the place I bought my last Quad scratched my fender- I bitched till I got a new one, and that thing goes in the woods LOL!

I'll post what I find and if I do find you the MAGIC stuff the removes it, when I come check out your truck, can I be the one with the pedals under my feet 'stead of you? MUHAHAHAH! :D

Brandy

mackin
06-12-2002, 19:19
stretch,

Thanks for the recipe .... It is one I use ..... I substitute for 70% Vodka..... and 30 %Tonic ....... If I'm feeling trendy I'll shake up a DRY MARTINI in a water glass .........But not feeling to trendy tonight .....

They problem is there is a heavy amount by the four wheel wells then a FILM that is from window sill down all the way around back ,even on the trunk lid ..... :mad:

So I'll need a case of WD-40 and a buckett of arms........

So I'm calling them IDIOTS in the mourning to get a claim started and giving it to a detailer ...... Frik it ...... Hate to have anyone touch my vehicles , but it is that bad ...... The windshield has streaks in it too ....... Heavy lines where the parked themselves on delay ....... :mad: Wicked MAN, just plain old wicked........ Hopefully he can do it tommorow ......If they can't get to it this week then I'll go solvent hunting . Thanks GMC...
I know where the supply house is for the Dealers and other body shops ,is . They will help me I'm sure .... If it were my Dually ..... :( With those Polished rims and and it would be in every nook and crany , I'd have to see it every day when I drove it , Man I think of the things I'd *************** can't put it in writing just in case......

MAC

:(

[ 06-12-2002: Message edited by: mackin ]</p>

MudNurI
06-12-2002, 19:21
found it- consesus is either cooking oil/margarine, or WD-40 I can't see where Wd-40 is going to work, BUT eh they say so..here's the info

Try using good old fashioned cooking oil or grease to remove those pesky bugs and tar from your car's finish. Apply it to a 100 percent cotton towel and apply to the spot. Apply in a circular motion and then wash your car as usual. You may want to use a combination car wash and wax to provide some protection against future bugs. Be sure to wash you car using a 100 percent cotton towel and to wash it with care to protect you car finish. Don't scrub your car it may do more harm than good. Be gentle.
If the tar is really tough to remove you may find finer nail polish to be more effective. Apply it with a cotton ball to the area that you have a problem with. Don't allow the finger nail polish remain there for a long period of time, it may destroy your finish. To be safe, rinse thoroughly and then proceed to wash your car as usual after removing the spot.

Removing tar from paintwork
Try margarine over the tar marks, leave for a couple of hours, then wipe off with a damp cloth. Repeat, if necessary.

Pine pitch, tar or sap can easily be removed from almost anything by using a water-soluble paint brush cleaner.
The best thing, which is also harmless to skin, paint and hair, is bacon grease or lard. Just rub it on, and off comes the sap.

now bout me in the driver's seat??????? :D

Brandy

NutNbutGMC
06-12-2002, 19:23
^...Mack Daddy... Don't hold back. Tell us how you really feel !!! D@mn the CT D.O.T. I hope you get that juiced up joy ride clean before I get up there to blow your doors "clean" off. I have a RPM speed gadget in the works.. :D :D

hoot
06-12-2002, 19:30
It'll only get worse in the summer heat.

Try waterless hand cleaner (gojo). Somebody said it works great.

mackin
06-12-2002, 20:01
WOW, lots of home remedies ....... If they don't work ..... There won't be a squeaky door in my house ... Chemicals to get the EPA over for lunch.... Plenty of kitchen oil ......I'll be ready for a FRENCH FRY cook off...... Thanks to HOOT I'll have some clean hands TA Boot ........

I'll certainly try them all, till one works ..... If the detail shop is a no fixer ......

Brandy,

Are you looking for an excuse to go eat pizza ...? Is it PEPE'S my brother in law waited 2 hours to get in that joint last weekend in N. Haven ....... If I was with him I would have jumped on my cell phone and ordered flavored "BOX" from Domino's, had it delivered in line .......

So you want to drive the truck? EH ....... We will see how much you value your husband ...... To make sure your going to come back and get him .........Cause he wont be riding with you, he'll be my hostage .........

MAC smile.gif :D

mackey_62
06-13-2002, 05:01
Mackin,
Get on the phone man. I work for DOT in NY. We have a guy here that takes care of that sh*@(claims).
If it was the state doing the work, not a private contractor, you can go after the state to make it right. If the phone doesn't work go to work site and politely ask for foreman. Show (tell) him what happened, ask him how to contact superiors.
Good Luck

Carli_max
06-13-2002, 05:38
Hey Mackey_62,

Just checked out your profile. We're neighbors!
I live in Marcy.

MudNurI
06-13-2002, 05:43
Mackin-

Your a goof, I'd have to think about coming back to get him. but I guess if he had the keys to our truck, I'd REALLY come back to get him...I just gotta see your rig up close and personal. Picture's just don't do these things justice. I'm sure all the way home John will have the radio up REAL loud so he doesnt hear me say "we need to get ..." "did you see his..." etc... he's heard enough lately with me and my K5, or should say spent enough LOL...I believe right now, we have 2 trips down there- the 3rd weekend in July we'll be coming down to a family reuinion, and then the 9th of August, were going to Paragon in PA for a K5 Cystic fibrosis Charity trail ride...I'm sure I can extend 1 of those trips to check out your rig.... I'll definetly let ya know when it gets closer!

When is Nutnbutgmc heading that way? I'd love to see you two together... the goofies from Diesel page heeheheheh! Though I don't think Nutn would like my tatoo- after all its the pretty bow tie- its not the plain ol' 3 letter emblem. eheheheh

Brandy ;)

txguppy
06-13-2002, 06:08
Hey MAC,
Try using Vaseline. Wipe it on and let it sit for as long as you need. Won't dry out, and will dissolve most any petro product. Also, its great for removing oily/greasy spots from your arms, hands,fingernails, better for your skin than harmful solvents. I keep a big jar handy, but I'm a single guy. :D :D :D

txguppy

mackey_62
06-13-2002, 06:13
Carli-max

Nice to meet ya. You see a black reg. cab dmax around town, thats me. Might even drive by your house every day. Take it easy on me though if you pull up on me, I got no juice. Not sure I could get thru the gears quick enough if I did. :D

Dinkie Diesel
06-13-2002, 06:21
I've never tried my tips but I have heard some ideas that may work. Diesel fuel or kerosene is actuall supoosed to be good for the paint. Kind of like a moisturizer for your skin. Prep Sol, Acryl Sol is just a non flammable product kind of like the dry cleaners use and similar to non-flammable brake cleaner. I feel like these non-flammable products are more harsh on paint than diesel/kero. Who knows? Not that you're gonna try this but I heard on TV one time that meat tenderizer is good for getting bug juice off. It breaks down proteins and that is what bugs are. You might try scraping a big carcass off with your finger nail and tasting it after adding meat tenderizer. If you get a big burst of energy you know it's protein or sugar.

I have tried Gunk Engine cleaner for removing tar. If your problem is really bad it may have to soak and repeat apps then use a pressure washer and most of your elbow grease can be spared. Works great and the film is easier to get off than diesel fuel or kero.

Nut4Trucks
06-13-2002, 06:22
I am another proponent for WD-40. It works excellent on any kind of tar type petroleum based substance. I guess since they are both petroleum based the WD just liquifies the tar. Good Luck.

Colorado Kid
06-13-2002, 11:13
Don't ask me how I know, but when they get their equipment back to their shop might be using WD-40 to get it off, but they might also have a ZEP product which is universaly called "Agent Orange" because is is orange and it works (and smells) great. I don't remember what the real name of the product is. (Super Orange .... something or other).

If you stop by the maintenance shop (in the car)and ask them real nicely what they use to get the black goo off their trucks they'll tell you. Then you ask where you can get some and they might just let you have a little out of the 55 gallon drum. (Just happen to have a metal or glass container to carry it in with you, cause it'll eat its way out of a pop bottle. An empty gas can or a fuel treatment bottle would probably work.)

A pint of the orange stuff and a cotton diaper and this job is not going to be near as hard as you thought:

1) Wash the car as usual (to get rid of paint scratching grit).
2) Dampen the diaper with the "Agent Orange" (you might want to wear gloves...it'll dry your hands out) and use it to wipe off the tar. (WIPE, not SCRUB).
3) Rinse the car off again to get rid of any remaining emulsion of tar and "Agent Orange".

Do this as soon as possible, a hot day in the sun will drive any remaning solvents out of the tar and you'll be wiping each spot 50 times instead of 2 or 3, but it'll still work.

WD-40 will work the same way, but it doesn't cut the tar quite as fast, and you have to use soap to get the WD-40 off the car.

Just hope they weren't using a catalytic polymerized emulsion (They probably weren't, cause they'd have stopped long before it rained, and it doesn't have to be sanded) that stuff is not very different from Herculiner!

I have used the above methods. I have not tried hand soap or petroleum jelly. Diesel fuel is routinely used to clean asphalt pavers.

battmain
06-13-2002, 16:52
Walmart has a diluted version of the orange stuff called Desolv-It. It gets rid of the tar and tire marks on my race car without any major effort. I don't work for them. Just a satisfied user. Home Depot also sells it.

Big O
06-13-2002, 17:29
mackin--
I know it is politically incorrect with all the enviromentalist, but it works EVERY time---GASOLINE!! :D :D

JUST DON'T SMOKE WHILE YOU ARE DOING IT! :D :D

Plasticfantastic
06-13-2002, 17:40
Wife just had a tire replaced on the wagon from local road crew. Around here, they raise all the drains and manhole covers about 4" before they pave over them. Its like drivin through a mine field (she clipped one on the swerve and split the sidewall).
Tang and water makes a good degreaser in a pinch, probably VERY hard on paint and aluminum though :( .

mackin
06-13-2002, 20:36
Well, thanks for the advice, what a day...... Bright and early called the DOT ...... Every possible number I could find ....... All lead back to the so called "CLAIM CENTER " ... There response ..... We will send you the form and you have to take pictures, fill out the form, get estimates, then get it fixed at your expence,then send it all back ..... We then will investigate the matter, lead time eight weeks ....... I said what ......? Where can I bring it today and have your insurance carrier look at it? There reply ... Sir, this is the statue as it is applied, we do not make or cannot change the laws . Contact your legislator ...... Lady for crying out loud I got some tar on my car, this is not nuclear physics here ..... Sorry she replies ...... SC**W YOU .......

What a LIBERAL, BUREAUCRACY OVER LOADED STATE I LIVE IN &gt;&gt;&gt;&gt;&gt;&gt;&gt; CONNECTICUT.......

I gave it to my insurance company, let them handle it ... There another bag of crap them selves........

Submitted estimate for $150, $50 deductible. Nets me a buck ....... Good enough, the check is in the mail...... Let them get reimbursed by the state ........

Went home armed with all the chemical warfare ...... Got that chemical solvent that is called POLY something that is the final wipe (Stripper in a can, as oppose to a thong) but hesitant to use ...... No tree hugger, but I know there are risks. I'm No professional , says it right on the can ..... :rolleyes:
Power washed car ........Dried....Looks like hell .......
Up first WD-40 ........ Nuff said, worked like a charm..... Cleaned it right off, just a little rubbing in the heavy spots ...... Left a grezzy haze ....... Washed by hand ....... Wiped it down, went around touched up the missed spots . Cleaned the spots. Didn't strip the wax ...... Finished up with ZAINO quick detailer ...... MINT ....... Used the chemical stuff for all the glass surfaces, and some of the molding . I was amazed how much Tar haze was still on this parts of the car,especially the glass ..... It was even on the mirror ....... But it looks good ...... Glad I did it took two hours but, I know it's done right. Could have paid the detail shop $70 bucks, but he couldn't do it till Tuesday ...... No way I was waiting, so it's done ....... Saga over ......

Thanks people's, another patent pending ...... "HAPPY ENDING"

AH ..... TANK U'VERY MUCH ........(in my best massage therapist accent) tongue.gif

MAC :D

[ 06-13-2002: Message edited by: mackin ]</p>

AKDmax
06-13-2002, 22:08
Hey Mac,
Glad to hear you got your car fixed back up. The Alaska road crews are the same. They spray that crap as you drive by. Not to be a D#$%head, but think about the dude you throw a rock on without flaps on that dually. He'll be cussin you just as bad as you did the state.

mdrag
06-14-2002, 20:58
Topic moved to GENERAL DIESEL Forum.

tonkater
06-15-2002, 19:44
We had the same mess up here last fall when CT DOT
stripped rt 45 from Lake Waramaug to Cornwall.
My Moms van got it bad - like your vehicles. From windows down was covered. Her silver mini van was
brown !! First i washed it with Liquid Glass car wash. Then lestoil and warm water. Then sprayed wd 40 all over it and wiped it clean. Then rewaxed with liquid glass. (I used to use prep sol on lacquer , but not sure on the clear coat paints we now have)
Yeah, it did bug me , but after driving NY and Mass roads (or should I say potholes) I'll take a bit of extra cleaning to keep from tearing out my suspension.

Silver Bullet
06-16-2002, 14:00
Mack - Remember if it can't be fixed with WD-40, duct tape, or a hammer then it must be replaced! tongue.gif WD-40 is light duty diesel fuel!!! :D :D

zip
06-22-2002, 18:19
Dang- - Here I was hopin you woulda tried some a that ole butter an bacon grease like MudnErl said. Now she's my kinda woman... that's jest what we use on Ole Blue to pull the ticks off im.
Of course he enjoys it 'cause the smell of that bacon brings Jezabell a-runnin.
They've had five good litters that way. :D
zip.