PDA

View Full Version : ?? fuel ??

MikeC
06-12-2001, 06:40
Just bought a diesel and going to pick it up on June 19. A guy I work with told me to "Watch out for what grade fuel you get.........." IHe could not tell me what the difference in fuels was but only that my 6.5l Turbo may not run on some grades. Is this guy serious or should my leg be starting to hurt.

I work for a company that has multiple med duty diesels and we buy at any local station that has diesel with no regard for grade.

Thanks, Mike

diesel_blazer
06-12-2001, 08:42
Well, there's actually two grades of fuel, #1 and #2. I can never remember which is which, but you're not likely to see them at most filling stations. If I remember correctly, one is a winter blend, the other a summer blend. Your 6.5TD will run on either, though your mileage may drop slightly with one of them (again, can't remember which). My best advice about buying diesel is to find a place you like and buy it there everytime. That way if you get a bad tank of fuel, you know where you got it. If you're concerned about the quality of the fuel, get a good additive like Stanadyne.

For the most part, if you use some common sense, you'll be okay. Keep your fuel filters changed regularly, and always keep a spare in the vehicle. Good luck on owning the best engine in the business. http://www.62-65-dieselpage.com/ubb/smile.gif

diesel_blazer

SoMnDMAX
06-12-2001, 11:48
In most basic terms, #2 is summer fuel, and #1 is winter fuel.

I don't even use #1 in my truck. I just use a 60/40 blend of #2/#1 in winter.

#2 has more BTU (British Thermal Units) output than #1.

#2 is a thicker, more lubricating fuel. From what I've read here, #1 can attribute to failures of the 6.5's injector pump.

Most stations up here in the northern part of the states will automatically switch to 60/40 in November, and go back to #2 in April.

Just remember- buy your fuel from a station that has a reasonably amount of traffic!! Slow stations is where you generally get the bad fuel. .

------------------
www.picturetrail.com/somndmax (http://www.picturetrail.com/somndmax)

2001 Chevy 2500HD Duramax, Allison
Ext. Cab SB Forest Green
16x8 Centerline Rattlers,285/75-16 BFG AT's
Autometer Boost and EGT gauges
4" Diesel Dynamic's Exhaust Installed!! Sounds GREAT!!!!!
Speedzone chip someday:D....
Diesel Page member #6184

LFH
06-15-2001, 11:37
Good advice on filling up where they pump a lot of diesel. Less likely to get bad fuel.
And cheaper is not always better. I have seen stations here drop their preminum to same as 87 octane and I suspect it is becaust they are not pumping enough of it to keep it fresh.