PDA

View Full Version : vt 365 (The new powerjoke)

thechevyhdman
06-19-2002, 00:59
Was reading an article from Owner Operator magazine I get every month. It stated that the new G2 6.0 litre diesel was going to be offered with an Allison tranny. Is this for medium duty trucks or for the pickups also? Also stated the different hp ratings for it, Did say though that the most torque the engine will be capable of (I assume in Medium Duty trucks was 620 ft lbs) Hope I got the money to buy the Juice soon because there aint no way Ill let a blue oval take down a bowtie on my watch.
P.S. From the quick blurb I read It sounds lke the trucks will be seeing the service department floor more than the pavement. Engine sounds super complicated.

Black Dog
06-19-2002, 05:33
Not sure about med. duty, but the pickups get a new Ford built 5 speed automatic. The G2 uses basically all the same technology as the Dmax with the exception that they are using a variable geometry turbocharger, which is becoming common on european diesels. Not really a lot more complicated than our engine. Of course, it will have to be proven before any of us GM or Dodge owners could possibly admit that it could be any good. I would worry more about the new Ford tranny than the motor if I was a Ford guy taking the plunge for the first year.

ZFMax
06-19-2002, 08:44
I hope it's a TERRIFIC motor.

NH2112
06-19-2002, 16:55
I too hope it's a terrific motor - the only thing that will keep the innovations and power increases coming our way is competition.

Animal
06-20-2002, 00:55
What kind of fuel system will it employ, will it use the old style system that required using the engine oil at high pressure to activate the injectors. This was the biggest problem associated with hard starting and poor performance of the PS.

Nels
06-20-2002, 10:19
I will side up with those who are hoping this package is successful. Competition is a good thing. Remember what the D&F boys were saying about our new D/A combo 18 months ago (and some still are)? I won't badmouth something I have no experience with (right, gkozy?). We are more intellegent than that here.

I'm glad to see someone in the US begining to use the variable geometry turbo. I think it's the way to go for a vehicle that in most cases doubles as a daily driver/grocery getter besides towing that trailer on the weekend.

Kansas Kid
06-20-2002, 21:01
Here is a Navistar brochure for the VT 365 (in PDF format). From what I have heard about this motor, it does sound pretty complicated but the Dmax is a pretty complicated motor itself. The torque ratings look good for the industrial version as well, 620 ft-lbs at 1400rpm in the highest version. Not sure what fuel system it is using, kind of sounds like a high pressure common rail setup. I just hope it isn't like the current PSD.

If this motor turns out to be reliable, I will probably be in a SuperDuty in 2004. Nothing against the Dmax, as I really like the motor. Just since I am not interested in an auto tranny, the Ford truck is more to my liking.

http://www.internationaldelivers.com/engine/PDFs/VT_365_Brochure1.pdf

[ 06-20-2002: Message edited by: Kansas Kid ]</p>

woundedbear
06-21-2002, 11:51
Sounds like it's finally official:

http://www.pickuptruck.com/html/news/powerstroke6.html

"The new, more powerful, cleaner 6.0-liter Power Stroke

Turbo Al
06-22-2002, 08:36
Of the two trans my money (literally) is on the Alison. I think it will (is) putting more HP to the rear wheels than what Ford can dream up. For Fords sake I sure hope the trans stands up, I left their camp over 10 years ago over transmission failures, 5 speed Borg Warners -- 5 of in 28,000 miles. In case you think I am hard on trans (as FORD claimed), 0 that's ZERO trans failures on the Chev in 170,000 miles (NVG 4500 5 speed)

NickLeinonen
06-22-2002, 17:04
that ford engine seems to be a good package, but the cooled egr system that it uses does not appeal to me. an egr system in a diesel does not work that well to start with. if they do the egr, and ditch the crankcase vent system, it can work. if it has both, just think what will happen to the intercooler if the egr gasses will be dumped in pre intercooler. egr diesel soot plus crankcase vapours makes a vasoline like gunk..

i think my next rig will be a dodge.. 2004 model with no egr system. i still think the new dodge was beaten with the ugly stick [people say that about me sometimes, so now driver can match truck smile.gif smile.gif smile.gif smile.gif smile.gif smile.gif ], but it is growing on me. and that isb is a nice motor.. only real gripe i have with them is that dodge still doesn't have a proper CC