PDA

View Full Version : Citronella added to diesel

Marty Lau
06-27-2002, 11:00
The other day I was mowing with my diesel A/C tractor whcih has a Fiat Diesel engine. The thought came to me, I wonder if I add Citronella oil to the diesel fuel if it help keep the DARN little blood suckers away. Before I try it I thought I would try and find out if it would harm a diesel. Does any one have any thoughts on this? I was think of adding a couple of quarts to about 10 gals of fuel and see if it helps. I was wondering if DR. Lee might have some thoughts?

Thanks, I know it's wierd, thats just the way I am. :cool: ;)

RustyRoss
06-27-2002, 11:47
I have always wondered if adding a little high test gasoline to the diesel tank would make it run faster . . . :D :D :D

NickLeinonen
07-01-2002, 14:57
does the tractor have a stack? if it has a stack, add a 4" or 5" tip that is vertical and attach a little metal soup can to it. pour some of the citronella oil in that. when the exhaust gets hot, it will heat the oil and cause it to smoke...

it could work :confused:

Marty Lau
07-02-2002, 14:37
Hey Nick thanks!!!!

That just might work, I think I'll take a steel hose clamp and clamp the can to the stack. I still don't know why the citronella won't work folks are burning drained used fryer oil in diesel cars and pickups. But with the next to the stack it won't have a chance to foul up the injectors or anything.

Marty

dsc
10-11-2002, 07:06
They used to sell this stuff to put in kerosene heaters to make the fumes smell better. Wonder if you added some of that to your tank? smile.gif

Sweet smellin diesel. smile.gif

dsc

Jelisfc
10-11-2002, 07:30
RustyRoss, Leaded gasoline (when still available) would mess up the injectors but adding X amount of no lead to a diesel will thin the fuel to keep it from jelling in the winter. I've seen it done only on big rigs during cold weather when the temps drop so fast you get caught with a full tank of #2. I'm not recommending this to anyone and wouldn't do it to a truck I own. Also I don't know if you'd see premature detonation using glow plugs. I have used kerosene to thin a tank of #2 when #1 wasn't available.

I don't have a clue how much gasoline a diesel could take before something bad would happen and if you would see any performance gains. The old military multi fuel engines ran on anything but if you ran gasoline you had to mix motor oil in the tank.

Jim Bob
10-15-2002, 21:57
I read an technical Q&A article in a recent issue of Trailer Life magazine where a guy said he added a quart of Pine Sol cleaner to each tank of diesel in his rig because he hated the smell of diesel fumes! The tech guy said this was a very bad idea! Reminds me of the story about the Avon lady that farted in the elevator and tried to cover it up with a spritz of pine scent bathroom deodorant!

hoot
11-13-2002, 09:56
I thought No.1 was kero.