PDA

View Full Version : Real Bio-Diesel Locally

ZZ
07-06-2005, 14:07
My local jobber is now selling bio-diesel for tank owners. He mixes it in a delivery truck and brings it out. They either mix it 2% or 5%. It is 30 cents a gallon higher than diesel for 2% and $1 gallon higher for the 5%. There is a $1 gallon tax credit that does help.

He said one farmer complained that he was having to change fuel filters more often; especially on tractors.

I don't think I want to try it in my 6.2

lvrver44
07-11-2005, 16:49
I have heard that fuel filter clogging can happen but that it's usually because the biodiesel is cleaning out the fuel system from the tank onward.

Some people use biodiesel as a cleaner and I've also heard that the glycerin by-product is a great de-greaser.

FWIW

ZZ
07-11-2005, 19:28
Hadn't heard all of that. The guy did say the BTU's were higher. So, it may give a little more power too.

JD Diesel
07-11-2005, 19:38
I hear tell that the btu's where lower? JD

ZZ
07-12-2005, 05:55
Maybe someone who really knows will let us know. I do remember that Stacy on "Trucks" said the veggy oil fuel gives more power.

TJ Moose
07-12-2005, 13:54
On the 6.5TD board, there's recently been some extended discussions on biodiesel. Do a search and take a look at conversations there.
Also - general info - yes - BD will clean out goo in your fuel system initially for a while which is pulled out by your fuel filter, and you will have extra filter changes until the crud in your fuel system gets dissolved. Also - for pre-1995 systems, I hear that rubber parts (seals, hoses) are adversely attacked by BD, but not a problem afterwards (changes in seal, hose, etc. makeup.) Also - there are many ways to go - some folks burning filtered waste vegetable oil (very little processing of the oil) in their rigs while running (start up on dino deisel, go to veggie fuel, and switch back to dino before shutdown to avoid clogging problems - gotta run 2 fuel tanks.) There is also refined BD fuel, that is processed according to ASTM standards - which is probably what you're looking at if its costing more than regular diesel. Down side is its more expensive, but upside is that its a refined product that you'll know what to expect in terms of pour point, gelling, contaminents (no bread crumbs from the fish sticks) etc. Google up biodiesel - and you'll see some good general info in some of the top selections presented. Myself - I'm waiting for the BD price point to match dino fuel before heading down this road - but I'm fairly sure I'll be roasting french fry residue on my pistons somewhere in the future........

JD Diesel
07-12-2005, 14:55
I really hate it when I miss trucks and stacy. Lots of good info. Shall look into this Bio stuff some more. Seams to me with the higher oil prices this stuff would be hitting the market faster yaaaa nooooo. JD ;)

n3qik
07-16-2005, 04:45
Bio-diesel has a lower BTU per gallon. I lost .5 MPG when I was running B50 in the Jeep.