PDA

View Full Version : why do they blow black smoke?

C. Babb
07-19-2005, 14:22
alright, this may be a dumb question, but why do diesels blow black smoke while under heavy acceleration? is it because of excessive fuel and lack of air? i ask this, because i have a 1996 K2500 w/ the 6.5L the only power upgrades that i have are a straight 3" d/p and a full 3" exhaust ... thinking about 4" because the 3" is still to throaty (sounds half 454 and half diesel) ... but what all could i do to make the 6.5L blow heavy black smoke under acceleration? ho injectors, 18:1 pistons = more boost ... intercooler??? right now it blows a light smoke before the power band but then once it reaches it, it goes away and then after 2K rpm it will start to blow it again ... thanks guys!! your thoughts are appriciated and more than welcome!!

madmatt
07-19-2005, 17:25
plug up your air filter and fill your exhaust w/ grease ;)
For someone who seems to care so much about the price of full, you act awefull interested in ways to blow massive amounts of unspent diesel out your tailpipe :rolleyes: is it actually the fuel prices you don't like or the Republician President from Texas who given the cards he's been dealt, has done a pretty good job of keeping our country safe and rolling. Some gave their lives so we could live ours in a free country.....too me even if my extra 50cents a gallon is going to support our soldiers, it seems like a small price to pay.

C. Babb
07-23-2005, 13:07
i usually only drive my truck on the weekends ... its not so much that im concerned about how much i pay, its just that within the past 4 years its went up almost $1.50 ... and between 1970(around $.70) and the 1990's(in 2000 the first time i filled up it was $.99) it only went up $30 ... that's quite a differece ... i know inflation ... but that's just rediculous. it just sucks when i go to fill up it costs $75 ... but anyway back to the topic ... what makes diesels blow huge amounts of black smoke?

C. Babb
07-23-2005, 13:12
plus another thing .. about the extra $.50 ... where does our tax money go? we're so far in debt with other countries ... yet we just keep on spending money ... where's the treasurer ... and gw keeps asking congress for a billion here a billion there ...

NH2112
07-23-2005, 16:44
It has nothing to do with inflation, and everything to do with supply and demand. Supply isn't increasing due to the number of refineries staying the same or declining, yet disel demand is climbing. The economy is getting better, meaning more industrial production (actually, both are causes and both are effects), which means there are more trucks & trains using diesel fuel. More houses and buildings are going up as well, and it seems every other soccer mom is motoring around town taking Ashleigh and Hunter to play dates in a diesel Excursion. All this means is that demand is outstripping supply.

madmatt
07-23-2005, 17:56
but anyway back to the topic ... what makes diesels blow huge amounts of black smoke? a slight imbalance in the air/fuel ratio. too much fuel or not enough boost= black smoke. basiclly it's just raw fuel carrying soot out the exhaust.

JD Diesel
07-23-2005, 18:37
I do miss the days when you could mash the pedal down a couple of time and make a big cloud of smoke. Best when some moron wanted to ride your butt that would send him back a few car lenght back.HA take that sucker . (Oh sorry got carried away for a minute). :D JD

C. Babb
07-28-2005, 13:25
Thank you Madmatt .. that is what i thought, but wasnt sure .. and thank you for that ... and JD .. that's what i like about it too .. plus it gives someone a sense of "oh sh!+" ... i think my 140DB train air horn will help too ..

Diesel Dude
08-05-2005, 21:07
black smoke or big black smoke cloud wafting up from behind your vehical after mashing down on the accelerator pedel,is a modern form of smoke signals! Use with discretion.