PDA

View Full Version : Virus help !

Toddster
01-01-2003, 08:57
I first apologize to the moderators, I know this is way off subject. Secondly I apologize to anyone on this site I have e-mailed I had no idea my e-mail contained a virus. I only recieve e-mail from some people on this site, some friends from a Yamaha site and some friends back home....Thats it. I DO NOT have AOL so I dont get all that crap mail I see our other computer get.....I have Cox cable so I was told I was safe against Virus's. Anyway, this thing has realy screwed up my PC, even shut down my virus scan program. ANY suggestions for this PC dummy would be greatly appreciated. Just a little warning, the only strange e-mail I have recieved lately was from "someone"......Yup that was the address !

FirstDiesel
01-01-2003, 09:11
Just cause your on a cable system doesn't mean your immune to a virus. There are a few really nasty ones popping up nowthat you supposedly don't even have to "run" to get contaminated.

First you don't mention what your antivirus program is???

My suggestion would be to try loading and running another program. I use this one and you can get a free trial copy here.

http://www.trendmicro.com/en/products/desktop/pc-cillin/evaluate/trial.htm

So far I haven't had a virus get by this unit and the thing I really like is it auto updates when your on a cable system and it seems like they add things almost everyday!!

SteveO
01-01-2003, 09:51
Toddster,

I'm going to move this to "General Diesel"..

A Virus will make you pull your hair out, if it's not all ready.. smile.gif

Hope you can get it fixed soon...

FirstDiesel thanks for your help... smile.gif

MNBowTie
01-01-2003, 10:22
Toddster,

I recommend the following:

1. Remove and Reinstall your virus software.
2. Visit your vendors site and get the latest update. If you use Norton, Run their live update and then follow that up with their intelligent daily updater.
3. Run a scan of all your local drives. During the scan the a fending worm/virus should be identified.
4. Search their site for a fix tool and/or instructions for removal of the identified bug. Follow these instructions to the T. I will warn you now, you will most likely have a to make some registry edits to stop this bug. If you do not feel at ease doing so, then I recommend you seek a professional. BTW, I recommend Symantec internet security with their automatic live update.

GOOD LUCK!

Toddster
01-01-2003, 13:33
Thanx guys, you were an awsome help ! FD had the first reply so I went and loaded the pc-cillin, but not without major difficulty. I finally got it loaded and ran a full scan.....16 viruses ! But, 10 the same (now quaranteened) and 6 the same (now cleaned) Ran a second full scan and came up with no viruses. Anyway, PC seems better but still a little strange at times.....Think I'm all set or is there something else I should do ? Also I would like to e-mail someone with a good updated virus scan to make sure I'm not still sending out a virus. Thanx, Toddster.

mackin
01-01-2003, 13:53
Yo Toddster
Ya now I opened that mail entitled Happy New Year with an attachment on my Mac and couldn't be displayed....Moved right over to my laptop, opened, virus warning right away, I were a victim, but didn't get hit.....But I knew it wasn't you fault I wouldn't think you would send it intentionally.....The Protection I was running was Mcafee..The virus is w32/yahak(?).....Current virus detectors should alert and remove.....

I have been getting some strange E-mail's lately....Received even a few with turbomontana.something and have alerted MP to this...Hope I haven't forward anything now that I think of it....

Lesson learned is make sure you have current virus protection.....

I hate PC platform and praise my Mac for I never have to deal with the angry spiteful Microsoft brainiac losers that have to disrupt because they can,the only reason I can sum up....

Good luck Toddster can't help cause I don't know $hit about PC,but basic stuff, if it were a Mac, dude no matter what you did I could probably fix it over the phone.....

Good Luck, hope you can read this....Happy New Year.....

MAC

[ 01-01-2003: Message edited by: mackin ]</p>

mdrag
01-01-2003, 15:01
I received an email today with the subject:

Meeting notice

It was from someone I did not recognize and my viral program deleted it before it reached my inbox.

I'm using BitDefender - updates almost daily (sometimes multiple times) and there is a free 30 day fully functional download:

www.bitdefender.com

Get a good virus program and use/update it regularly. Good luck.

AKDmax
01-01-2003, 18:01
Toddster,
PC-cillin is an excellent program to use. At work we use Norton and PC-cillin usually runs a virus update about 3 days ahead of Norton. Check
the PC-cillin website and search for the virus's you had on your computer. Often times there are other things you need to do to completely remove the virus. They will provide step-by-step instructions. Good luck...

FirstDiesel
01-01-2003, 18:40
The thing I like about the PC-Cillin is it is easy on a older computers resources. I used to run it on my old laptop at work. I "Upgraded" to the company provided Norton. My laptop now crawls when I'm downloading email.

GMC-2002-Dmax
01-01-2003, 20:17
Toddster,

Got the e-mail, I sent you one about the virus. Hope you got it!!!!

I personally run Norton on my PC's with great success. I also use a program called Zone Alarm it is a firewall. It will also do limited scanning of emails.

I have cable as well for my connection. You can get a router which offers some greater protection from hackers as well as a shared connection for multiple PC's.

Good Luck to you,

Send me an email and I'll let you know if you are CLEAN :eek: :eek: :eek:

GMC :D

mdrag
02-15-2003, 16:31
Last week I got the FunLove virus - infected through a network connection. I have 'fixed wireless' broadband connection and as such always connected to a network. A combination of small network configuration errors led to the infection. This worm just moved right on down the network...

Bitdefender discovered and cleaned the virus - but I kept getting re-infected even after correcting the network issues. I downloaded a trial version of PC-Cillin 2003 and found 3 infected files on two computers that BitDefender missed. Good product, however I had compatibility issues on two of the computers so I downloaded a trial copy of Norton's AV 2003 and the Norton 2003 Personal Firewall. By far the best of the three that I have tried- and also Norton caused the least noticable performance hit...I'm sticking with Norton's.

mdrag

TraceF
02-22-2003, 08:06
I got an e-mail from turbo with the subject "password" so of course I opened it. I accessed Road Runner from Atlanta on my business laptop through web2mail. Since Outlook never saw the message the e-mail virus software didn't have a chance to catch it. Eventually the network software did.

Turns out turbo didn't even send it. People can have your e-mail address look like you sent them cr@p. Amazing.

The service company we use told me the "KLEZ" type messages are the one's that they typically see causing this. If you get a message and see KLEZ in part of the title or subject- don't open it.

BTW- I use Norton antivirus and firewall on my home computer because Consumers Reports recommended it.

[ 02-22-2003: Message edited by: TraceF ]</p>